whats the advantage using viewfinder than live view mode?

baynald12

Deregistered
Apr 30, 2010
Hi bros, im a newbie. Im using A500, i just want to ask what is the advantage using the viewfinder over the live view mode?
most of the time i use the live view mode for convenience esp since a500 has MF CHECK LV.
guys need your expertise.
thanks

Hi bros, im a newbie. Im using A500, i just want to ask what is the advantage using the viewfinder over the live view mode?
most of the time i use the live view mode for convenience esp since a500 has MF CHECK LV.
thanks

Does your live view allows you to focus? Or do you have to pre-focus?

I'm using a Canon 40D which allows me to use the Live View mode, but I cannot focus as the mirror is lock up. Therefore, viewfinder allows me to view and focus at the same time. That's the main advantage I can think of. Other than this, I am used to using a viewfinder rather than a live view mode.

depends on your use.

for me, the subject is always moving so cant really depend on the LV.

another thing is that can get more mileage out of the batteries by using VF.

Last edited:
thanks

Lower power consumption, usable in very bright light, faster AF on newer models, possible to AF on older models.

viewfinder enables u to take photo quickly...

for example u can go to continuous mode...while i think it will be a lot slower when u r using live view..for me..using viewfinder is much comfortable.:):)

I don't know about your DSLR system, but on a D90, using a Live View once constitutes a shutter count... So if you use it 10000 times without clicking on the shutter button, that means activating the shutter mechanism 10000 times without any images being captured.

Dun any how suka suka use a LV on a DSLR as if it works the same as on a typical Point n Shoot.

Get use to the viewfinder, and out-grow on the LV dependency you once had on a PnS.

For me, only when I want to shoot a video would I use LV (which is the only mode on D90 that allows you to capture a video - so no choice).

Last edited:
Advantages of Live View

1. when shooting a subject that is 6" from the ground e.g. flower, dogs and cats

2. when shooting with a tripod at waist level

3. when you want to shoot over people's head especially when you are short

.........................................................................................................

Advantages of View Finder

1. Viewfinder is good when you shoot out door on a sunny day

2. Save battery power

Last edited:
Btw liveview on sony is as fast as using ovf, so af is not an issue formoving objects. Therefore using liveview on a500 to shoot kids/pets is actually a joy as you dun hv to stick your face to the camera while hasing or coaxing them. At same time can maintain facial contact with them while shooting which gives them less stress than just seeing a big black thing in front of their daddy's face.

Other than saving battery life or difficult to use the lcd screen under bright sunlight, i dun see any other cons in using live view of a500.

I don't know about your DSLR system, but on a D90, using a Live View once constitutes a shutter count... So if you use it 10000 times without clicking on the shutter button, that means activating the shutter mechanism 10000 times without any images being captured.

Dun any how suka suka use a LV on a DSLR as if it works the same as on a typical Point n Shoot.

Get use to the viewfinder, and out-grow on the LV dependency you once had on a PnS.

For me, only when I want to shoot a video would I use LV (which is the only mode on D90 that allows you to capture a video - so no choice).

I wouldn't stress out so much on the 'shutter count' thingy, especially if camera is used by hobbyist... In all likelihood the camera will be 'given up' for the new toy out on the market, long before the shutter mechanism fails! :)

To me, the main advantage of optical viewfinder is that the camera is positioned against the face when you're taking a photo, increasing stability. I have not seen any respectable event photographer holding their DSLR like a PnS when taking photos during a paid shoot.

someone should try shooting with a heavy lens (eg. 70-200/2.8) at maximum focal length, in liveview mode... :bsmilie:

One advantage of Live View for me - Ablity to compose when using a 10 stops ND filter :)

I think both modes have their advantages and disadvantages, as listed by all the CSers...

the important point to note is not to get to worked up figuring out which is "better". It's like comparing a helicopter to an aeroplane :)

Sony A550 has the fastest live view of all dslrs. I hv a550, and compared to D90 (which im also using as my company's event photographer) the difference between their focusing speed is like heaven and earth. Go sony style, pick up the a550 to test and u'll notice the huge difference

And sony's live view doesnt flip up the mirror (unless using manual focus live view), so it doesnt use up shutter count.

For sony alpha, using live view's main disadvantage is battery wastage, and also under direct sunlight it might be hard to see.

On the other hand, the tiltable lcd screen live view offers ground level and over the head composition, something which no other dslr except olympus and nikon d5000 offers.

Last edited:
Sony A550 has the fastest live view of all dslrs. I hv a550, and compared to D90 (which im also using as my company's event photographer) the difference between their focusing speed is like heaven and earth. Go sony style, pick up the a550 to test and u'll notice the huge difference

And sony's live view doesnt flip up the mirror (unless using manual focus live view), so it doesnt use up shutter count.

For sony alpha, using live view's main disadvantage is battery wastage, and also under direct sunlight it might be hard to see.

On the other hand, the tiltable lcd screen live view offers ground level and over the head composition, something which no other dslr except olympus and nikon d5000 offers.

So there's another sensor to pick up the image during Liveview? hmmm... interesting. tks for that!

Yup, that's basically it. And the sony live view mode gives you (if you reaaaaally want it) Face detection and smile shutter too.

So there's another sensor to pick up the image during Liveview? hmmm... interesting. tks for that!

Yup. That's been the sony system since the A300 days. So AF is as fast as when you're using the OVF.

The downside is that it required the use of a pentamirror instead of a pentaprism, so the OVF quality is actually not as good as a pentaprism system. When I use my A550 after shooting with my A900, it's a huge difference.

One more thing, try shooting in ovf of your kids' first crawl. You be really hard pressed wishing for tilting lcd with lv.