What's the advantage of Gitzo tripod?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hokkaido88

Dec 29, 2007
For the premium we paid for this luxury tripod, what do we get from it?

Does it offer something that other brand can't offer for instance?

It wouldn't fail me in all my shooting condition.

Start with manfrotto then Mamiya CF but Gitzo will be the last.

G-lock for fast set up

Better carbon material that absorb vibration

chalib, does that mean gitzo would absorb the vibration while other made in china tripod will not?

What're other advantages?

Does these carbon fiber easily break apart i.e accidental hit/bang by someother object?

does it really outlast other brands?

the way i look at this is :

u bought an $$$$ gear, eg tripod, bag, lens. most if not all users will take very good care of them.

they way i see people using their domke or berlingham bags, soo precious, of cause can last lar. if i were to use them, i seriously dont think i will be seeing much difference with my tenba bag or lowepro.

Years later...your children or theirs can still use them...if they take up the hobby.

My 2 Gitzos have been with me for close to 25yrs and have never disappoint me.
Legs dipped in sandy beaches, rain, mud and so on.

Last edited:
does it really outlast other brands?

the way i look at this is :

u bought an $$$$ gear, eg tripod, bag, lens. most if not all users will take very good care of them.

they way i see people using their domke or berlingham bags, soo precious, of cause can last lar. if i were to use them, i seriously dont think i will be seeing much difference with my tenba bag or lowepro.

Hahhahaha....true in some ppls, but definitely not all, at least not me and some of my friends in nature photography, we brought it for it's performance and durability.

chalib, does that mean gitzo would absorb the vibration while other made in china tripod will not?

What're other advantages?

Does these carbon fiber easily break apart i.e accidental hit/bang by someother object?

It absorbs better.

G-lock is wonderful. Go to shops and try it urself so that u have the feeling how it works ;)

Every material has its limit of strength so it is very subjective....

It has a lot to do with your own personal expectation. If you are the type that want the best product (and you can afford it), I would say go for Gitzo in the first go instead of getting something you don't feel comfortable because it cost less and eventually have to sell it off and upgrade.

OK aside from the excellent G-Locks which allow quicker deployment, stronger loads and secure locking; the quality of the CF, the weight and wallet shaving, durability, build quality, blah, blah, blah... that most important reason has not yet been mentioned...

BRAGGING RIGHTS

Yes that important pride of ownership factor hits squarely at the psyche of the average material starved Singaporean. Knowing that as a Gitzo owner you are owning the best tripod brand on the market offers that rare and heady feeling of oneupmanship and superiority. That feeling that my Gitzo just whups every other tripod is worth the princely price... speaking as a Gitzo owner myself :bsmilie: :angel:

... ...the poor man spends twice... ...

... ...the poor man spends twice... ...

I had 3 other brands with their so called top range products that failed to meet simple requirements like sturdiness & locks until I met Gitzo.

I own 3 Gitzo now and will not hesitate to include another one. The made-in-China copy cat lined up like a platoon of recruits in 2nd hand shop & you know why.

Years later...your children or theirs can still use them...if they take up the hobby.

My 2 Gitzos have been with me for close to 25yrs and have never disappoint me.
Legs dipped in sandy beaches, rain, mud and so on.

Sound familiar quote, just like the Patek Philippe watches quotes:cool:

I had 3 other brands with their so called top range products that failed to meet simple requirements like sturdiness & locks until I met Gitzo.

I own 3 Gitzo now and will not hesitate to include another one. The made-in-China copy cat lined up like a platoon of recruits in 2nd hand shop & you know why.
You own 3 Gitzo? Can you tell me why you bought 3 instead of 1 fits for all?

1st one up to 1.8m & thought that was enough , 2nd one b cos realized at certain places need to go up 3m, 3rd one went for travel & found the above 2 too big to move around like a sparrow :think:

Wonder what pop up next :dunno:

Last edited:
After my attempts to save $$$ on tripods, I learnt the hard way. With the $$$ I spent on those cheaper tripods, I could have easily buy another Gitzo.

Reason #1 is the Vibration dampening of the CF. I did a test to prove my point to my friend and he bought himself a gitzo. Just put 2 similar tripod side by side. For me I put Benro and my Gitzo side by side. just tap on the leg of both tripod, you can feel the vibration on both tripod is very much different.

Reason #2 is the G-lock. makes deploying very fast.

i'm currently using Manfrotto 055pro .. would like to buy a CF Gitzo . Any recommendations? Prices?

Sound familiar quote, just like the Patek Philippe watches quotes:cool: QUOTE]

Oh really?...i've never seen or heard any of the said products' quotes.

But then...I really endorse or recommend Gitzo if anyone were to ask which brand to get.
Both tripod are still functioning well without any wobbling or twitching here there.

Vibration? Well all tripod will vibrate if the ground vibrates regardless of what trick or material used but the Gitzo gives a solid firm support and robustness without any of those flimsyness.

Tapping? I wouldn't consider it vibration but rather accidental incidents and it gives some indications of how good it dampens them.

On firm ground, that vibration comes from the mirror/shutter unit opening and closing and how the camera/lens combo is mounted will affect vibration that will ultimately affect how sharp your images will be.
Super tele will require addtional supports.

Pic below are of my sons photographing & posing with camera mounted on my 2 Gitzos.

2749458625_c50487fc77.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.