What's the advantage of Close Up filter over extension tube?

Status
Not open for further replies.

David

Deregistered
Mar 21, 2002
Visit site
Why do people use close up filters when (I think) extension tubes are better?

Good closeup filters are
more expensive
only fit to certain filter sizes
affect image quality somewhat

Tubes
cheaper
can be used on all lenses
will not affect image quality

David said:

Good closeup filters are
more expensive

Tubes
cheaper

aren't tubes for those with dslr's and close ups for both with dslr's and those without? i have 2 closeup filters...nikon and hoya.

David said:

Good closeup filters are
more expensive

Tubes
cheaper

the only advantage i can think of is.. it can be used on a consumer/prosumer camera with fixed lens...

I think tubes should be a lot more expensive than a close up filter. I got mine for my 50mm for only $15

Snoweagle said:
I think tubes should be a lot more expensive than a close up filter. I got mine for my 50mm for only $15

Oh...Hee.... No offence...that's the cheapo type. A good one will cost >$200.

Del_CtrlnoAlt said:
the only advantage i can think of is.. it can be used on a consumer/prosumer camera with fixed lens...

YAh but sometimes we still see people using it on their tele zooms like 80-200mm or 100-400mm... Why not just add a tube, as I wonder.....?

David said:

Mine's a +4 one from Hoya. The pricing depends on the filter size. Mine's only a 52mm one so it's of cos cheaper.

I think the issue with the extension tubes is that you would need more exposure when using them whereas the close-up filters you exposure pretty much remains the same.

David said:
Tubes

This assumption is a bit misleading. Extension tubes indeed don't diminish the optical performance of a lens, but the optical performance of a lens focused at much shorter distances than what it was designed for may be quite poor.

sorry for a small bit of OT, but i have some real noob questions regarding extension tubes, please bear with me:

1. Can AF with an Extension tube still?
2. Does Nikon Make them for DSLR cams?
3. Kenko...any good? (dont want to start a war of it, just a yes or a no should suffice)
4. Say if i want to use one on my 50mm 1.8 lens, what type of maginification would be best, for extreme close up?

i apologise for these really noob questions

wildstallion said:
sorry for a small bit of OT, but i have some real noob questions regarding extension tubes, please bear with me:

1. Can AF with an Extension tube still?
2. Does Nikon Make them for DSLR cams?
3. Kenko...any good? (dont want to start a war of it, just a yes or a no should suffice)
4. Say if i want to use one on my 50mm 1.8 lens, what type of maginification would be best, for extreme close up?

i apologise for these really noob questions

1. Yes if you buy the AF version.
2. Yes, i think, but there is also third party ones like Triplus, Uniplus
3. All extension tubes are the same (quality wise), only difference is the distance they add.
4. Up to you... the more you add the closer you have to go, which is harder to focus. you can get a 25mm one to try 1st.

David said:

That's probably the "D" series by Canon and I feel pretty overpriced :( Nikon makes similarly good close-up lenses and sells them much cheaper but they don't come in as many sizes compared to Canon :(

Anyway, close-up filters could be more convenient and you could vary the "power" readily by stacking on more or removing some.

Del_CtrlnoAlt said:
1. Yes if you buy the AF version.
2. Yes, i think, but there is also third party ones like Triplus, Uniplus
3. All extension tubes are the same (quality wise), only difference is the distance they add.
4. Up to you... the more you add the closer you have to go, which is harder to focus. you can get a 25mm one to try 1st.

Thanks alot :thumbsup:

i've seen a set of hoya +1, +2 and +4 filters for 67mm...any idea how much they cost?

Snoweagle said:
U mean they're sold as a whole set of 3?
yupe AP once wanna sell me hoya a set of 3 for 45 i think...

eugenep said:
yupe AP once wanna sell me hoya a set of 3 for 45 i think...

Hmmm...can consider, but i got my Hoya +4 alone (52mm) at another shop for around $18.

Find an Olympus Mcon35...about +3, (+2.9 I think)...excellent glass, as good optically as the Canon D series, with better colour rendition...and cheaper...only minus - only available in 62mm...

1)close up filters can be stacked givin more flexibility in the close up ability.
2)you can switch from closeup to norm lens use faster (i feel)
3) lol this is a stretch but hey it keeps that slimy frog that you are doing a macro of from touching your coated lens and leaving a slime

slaam said:
1)close up filters can be stacked givin more flexibility in the close up ability.
2)you can switch from closeup to norm lens use faster (i feel)
3) lol this is a stretch but hey it keeps that slimy frog that you are doing a macro of from touching your coated lens and leaving a slime

Hahaha...even with a UV filter it already protect your lens.

Status
Not open for further replies.