Whats that Han***? fine art printing paper brand ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kex

Oct 16, 2002
beebox
www.beebox.com.sg
hi,

i need to find more info about the very expensive fine art printing paper Cathay is selling,but i cannot find any info without the brand..

Anyone knows the exact name of the Han***? fine art paper??

thanks !:D

I have bought the sampler pack. 10 pieces of differnt kind of papers.

So far tried only printed on the PhotoRag. A bit off-white. Looks nice on B + W. Tonal range wise....about the same as Epson's Archival Matte. Printed on Epson 2100.

problem with my printer is they still dun have the profile for 7800..

i printing on ilford galerie luster paper,very nice results too.

i think have to wait for a while to get the 7800 profile for the fine art paper..

kex said:
problem with my printer is they still dun have the profile for 7800..

i printing on ilford galerie luster paper,very nice results too.

i think have to wait for a while to get the 7800 profile for the fine art paper..
Nope. Hahnemuehle has lots of profile (on Windows) for 7800. Look at here for profiles. Which fine art paper are you looking for?

i saw that page just now,

but my printer is on photo black ink instead of the matte black listed there.

i'm interested in the photo rag 310 Bright white paper..write until so nice..

Bee Hedge said:

So far tried only printed on the PhotoRag. A bit off-white. Looks nice on B + W. Tonal range wise....about the same as Epson's Archival Matte. Printed on Epson 2100.
These are the archival papers. To allow them to have this quality, they cannot be treated too severly. It has OBA to maintain a consistent whiteness that should be white enough for almost all situations.

kex said:
i saw that page just now,

but my printer is on photo black ink instead of the matte black listed there.

i'm interested in the photo rag 310 Bright white paper..write until so nice..
Ha ha, that is marketing for ya :p

But seriously, almost all of the papers from Hahnemuehle are matte rather than glossy. Although you can use photo black on matte paper (even then it is not recommend; the other way, matte black on glossy is :nono: ), the d-max is not as good. The alternative if you want to print on these papers is to switch... :sweat:

Bee Hedge said:

Are you using Matte Black or Photo Black ink to print on the PhotoRag?

Hi Kex,

I am using lots of Hahnemuhle Paper using the Epson 2100, 4800 & sometimes 7600 ... Basically, I am very pleased with the wide latitude in terms of tonality for my prints especially when doing B&W prints .. One thing for sure, Matte Black Ink is highly recommended for doing B&W prints .. hee hee

A few interested choice of paper to look at would be the White Etching Satin, the German Etching, Photo Rag Satin & Rice Paper .. and of course Canvas Paper too ...

In fact, all my exhibition prints are done on Hahnemuhle Paper as they are well-known for long archival quality and is the oldest paper mill in Germany ..since 1584 ... no joke man ..

feel free to drop a note if you have any queries ..

Triston

Hmmm....I made a print on Epson Archival Matte and another print on Hahnemuhle's Photo Rag. The tonality seems the same. Printer was unable to print some dark areas which I can see on my screen.

Settings:
Film: 400TX
Color Profile: Adobe RGB
File type: TIFF
Color depth: 16-bit
Image was digitized using Nikon Coolscan 5000ED at 4000dpi

Printing settings:
Printer: Epson 2100
1440dpi
Color mode
High Speed mode OFF

twisturn said:
Hi Kex,

I am using lots of Hahnemuhle Paper using the Epson 2100, 4800 & sometimes 7600 ... Basically, I am very pleased with the wide latitude in terms of tonality for my prints especially when doing B&W prints .. One thing for sure, Matte Black Ink is highly recommended for doing B&W prints .. hee hee

A few interested choice of paper to look at would be the White Etching Satin, the German Etching, Photo Rag Satin & Rice Paper .. and of course Canvas Paper too ...

In fact, all my exhibition prints are done on Hahnemuhle Paper as they are well-known for long archival quality and is the oldest paper mill in Germany ..since 1584 ... no joke man ..

feel free to drop a note if you have any queries ..

Triston

hmmm i cannot confirm on printing on 2100 in terms of tonality .. maybe i should clarify ... for me, in terms of B&W prints, I find that the Hahnemuhle paper gives me a higher tonality range when used with the 4800 printing on Advanced B&W ... As for printing out the shadow details, i think it would be accurate to use the picker in photoshop to check the how "black" or how "dark" the actual spot is ... I would say that if the RGB value of all 3 channels fall below 20, then it is likely the printed material would not show much shadow details ..(this is just my personal gauge ..hee hee)

But what attracts me in terms of tonality is the overall feel & look of the Hahnemuhle paper in the mid tones area .. there is so much more grey tones that other papers in the market .. in addition, the different texture surfaces of the Hahnemuhle paper gives a choice to emulate certain traditional Fiber based B&W paper(close but of course not the real thing mah ..)

I print lotsa B + W too. Which Hahnemuhle paper would you recommend for B + W prints assuming that price is not a concern.

Occassionally, I'll use the Ilford Galerie Smooth Fine Art Paper. Not too bad.

twisturn said:
hmmm i cannot confirm on printing on 2100 in terms of tonality .. maybe i should clarify ... for me, in terms of B&W prints, I find that the Hahnemuhle paper gives me a higher tonality range when used with the 4800 printing on Advanced B&W ... As for printing out the shadow details, i think it would be accurate to use the picker in photoshop to check the how "black" or how "dark" the actual spot is ... I would say that if the RGB value of all 3 channels fall below 20, then it is likely the printed material would not show much shadow details ..(this is just my personal gauge ..hee hee)

But what attracts me in terms of tonality is the overall feel & look of the Hahnemuhle paper in the mid tones area .. there is so much more grey tones that other papers in the market .. in addition, the different texture surfaces of the Hahnemuhle paper gives a choice to emulate certain traditional Fiber based B&W paper(close but of course not the real thing mah ..)

hmm i recommend White Etching Satin & PhotoRag Satin for B&W prints.. The former has a little bit more texture and is quite similar to Fiber papers .. The PhotoRag Satin is more smooth and is good for photos with lots of metallic surfaces .. .sometimes, i used it to print stuff with lots of water reflections too ..

Overall both papers looks matte unprinted ... When the image is printed, the image tends to have a little bit of gloss feel (satin or pearl feeling as the paper's name suggest) and the unprinted area still retain the matte feel .... This to me is very unique coz the image sorts of pops out ...more 3 dimensional feel

They dun have Etching Satin & PhotoRag Satin profile for Epson 2100.

These are the only ones they have for Epson 2100:
* GermanEtching Ultrachrome MK2200.icc
* PhotoRag Ultrachrome MK2200.icc
* Torchon Ultrachrome MK2200.icc
* WilliamTurner Ultrachrome MK2200.icc

twisturn said:
hmm i recommend White Etching Satin & PhotoRag Satin for B&W prints.. The former has a little bit more texture and is quite similar to Fiber papers .. The PhotoRag Satin is more smooth and is good for photos with lots of metallic surfaces .. .sometimes, i used it to print stuff with lots of water reflections too ..

Overall both papers looks matte unprinted ... When the image is printed, the image tends to have a little bit of gloss feel (satin or pearl feeling as the paper's name suggest) and the unprinted area still retain the matte feel .... This to me is very unique coz the image sorts of pops out ...more 3 dimensional feel

Status
Not open for further replies.