What's so great about DSLRs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gr|ever

Nov 3, 2002
Visit site
There's something I always wanted to know. Juz what's so great about a DSLR as compared to a prosumer digital camera that make it so irresistable to many photographers?

I only know that DSLRs have the ability to change lens. I guess that matters a lot. But is that the only reason for the high price? Or is there something else?

Anyone care to enlighten me? :)

Maybe many people just want to save the economy (and camera makers) by buying DSLRs?
:D :devil: :confused:

Personally, what matters is the system BEHIND the camera.

Much less shutter lag, and much faster focusing. And yes, it is not just an anonyance, you can actually miss tons of good shots just because of this.

DSLR has low noise in high ISO.

Try shooting ISO400 (and above) using prosumer digital cameras.

Gr|ever said:
There's something I always wanted to know. Juz what's so great about a DSLR as compared to a prosumer digital camera that make it so irresistable to many photographers?

I only know that DSLRs have the ability to change lens. I guess that matters a lot. But is that the only reason for the high price? Or is there something else?

Heheh,

If you can't tell the difference, don't get too worry about it. ;p

Basically there are pros and cons for both type of cameras, so it's acutally quite subjective. :confused:

Have used both normal SLR and digital prosumer cameras.

I want the fast shutter response of a SLR and the optical viewfinder. The optical viewfinder is crucial in judging depth of field; you can't really differentiate the sharp and blur areas from a digital camera's LCD.

Can't wait for the Canon EOS 300D to be out.

just shot studio style for my hall main comm this thurs. and the noise level is so obvious at iso 400 :( and missed many shots cos response too slow. using s45 btw

Gr|ever said:

dun ask, i think u'll be better off not knowing the answers....

Zoomer said:
Much less shutter lag, and much faster focusing. And yes, it is not just an anonyance, you can actually miss tons of good shots just because of this.
man i can't agree with this more.. i've missed SO MANY shots with me 5700 becos of slow AF and shutter lag. i haven't had extensive experience with an SLR/dSLR yet, but played around enuff to know when i click, it CLICKS. :D

mylau said:
dun ask, i think u'll be better off not knowing the answers....

Why not???????? Looks like you know a lot. Maybe u can tell us why. I'm sure I'm not the only one who wants to know....

Zoomer said:
Much less shutter lag, and much faster focusing. And yes, it is not just an anonyance, you can actually miss tons of good shots just because of this.....

Ok... Got a point there. I can understand how important that is. But still... juz with these, is it worth paying so much more for?

Zoomer said:

Likewise, you can also miss tons of good shots if u r too lazy to bring out the DSLR cos it is too heavy. :bsmilie: Not forgetting with the extra weight, you can't handhold your cam as well as before. You might also miss a lot of candid shots cos your pressence with the DSLR is much obvious than that of a prosumer/consumer cam. Also the fact that u can't compose yr shots using LCD would mean you have to make an extra effort for those difficult angles. At the end of the day, it boils down to how committed u r towards photography and how much effort you are willing to put in to get good shots. :)

dSLRs and digicams are really two diff classes of equipment.

1. Larger format.

A dSLR sensor is many times the area of (i believe) all digicams, prosumer class notwithstanding. i don't think there are any digicam sensors out there even one quarter the size of a dSLR sensor. The Sony 828 sensor, at 8MPix, measures 8.8x6.6mm, against (say) a D30/D60/10D at 22x16mm - one sixth the area.

For technically superior prints, the larger the format, the better the pics. This was true in film; it is also true in the digital world.

Because for a given size print (say A3), the enlargement for a typical dSLR may be 20x. For a digicam, the enlargement is about 50x.

In other words, for an equal quality print, the digicam will need to demand (at least) 2 times the resolution from the lens, per unit sensor area. Digicam lenses are typically inferior to SLR lenses, or on par at best, they certainly do not resolve more than twice as well as SLR lenses, per unit image area.

A larger format also implies longer focal lengths for the same field of view, and shallower DOF. A 17mm/f2.0 on a digicam may claim 50mm equivalent, but a true 50/2.0 on a full-frame dSLR will blow it away in terms of quality and DOF control.

For those not concerned with large prints, this point is, of course, irrelevant.

2. Dynamic range - due to larger pixel size. The bigger a sensor pixel, the larger it's potential dynamic range. A 10D's pixel has about 4x the area of a digicam's, and a 1D's pixel about 9x. Also, a dSLR's pixels are uncharged until the mirror flips, unlike a digicam's which is already charged bcoz the sensor is being used to preview the shot. In other words, a dSLR get to use the full dynamic range of the pixels, while a digicam has to share what little it has between 'preview' and 'shoot'.

3. Regarding shutter lag and AF speed: actually this arguement not so valid.

Casio has some digicams actually having equal or faster shutter lag than some dSLRs; which means it can be done, and will be eventually by all digicam makers. Another reason is that the camera cannot 'click' until it has focussed - so the experienced 'shutter lag' may actually be a AF lag in disguise.

As for AF speed, i think the problem is the small lens. Even in the SLR world, bigger (faster f-stop) and better lenses usually focus faster, for the same SLR body, bcoz the camera needs subject contrast to focus. It's like a white-hair plucking contest with an old man and a 10 year old boy as subjects; the one plucking the old man's hair (SLR) will win, not necc bcoz he is faster, but bcoz he has so much raw material (contrast) to start with. i'm just guessing on this point though.

Gr|ever said:
Ok... Got a point there. I can understand how important that is. But still... juz with these, is it worth paying so much more for?

it is for me
those shots will never come again :(
still saving up for 300d :p

drop drop drop

You get 800mm simply by attaching a sigma 50-500mm to a DSLR.

The main advantage of a DSLR is that you can CHANGE LENS. You can Manual focus through the ACTUAL LENS OPTIC, not a LCD SCREEN INTERFACE.

jasonpgc said:
You get 800mm simply by attaching a sigma 50-500mm to a DSLR.

The main advantage of a DSLR is that you can CHANGE LENS. You can Manual focus through the ACTUAL LENS OPTIC, not a LCD SCREEN INTERFACE.

FYI. Not all DSLRs have the 1.5 conversion factor. You will not get 800mm with a 50-500mm lens on a EOS 1Ds. It uses a FULL size CCD.

Not to mention that you can take more frames per second for DSLRs compared to the prosumers. The D2H shoots at 8 frames per second. No digi camera can beat that.

coke21 said:
FYI. Not all DSLRs have the 1.5 conversion factor. You will not get 800mm with a 50-500mm lens on a EOS 1Ds. It uses a FULL size CCD.

Not to mention that you can take more frames per second for DSLRs compared to the prosumers. The D2H shoots at 8 frames per second. No digi camera can beat that.

It's only two - the 1D and the D2H that could shoot >5fps. The rest would fair worse than some prosumer digicams in terms of burst/continuous mode.

coke21 said:

1. 1Ds - just crop and you get equivalent 800mm

2. Consumer DSLRs are about 2-3 fps. Digicams can shoot 30 fps.

mpenza said:
It's only two - the 1D and the D2H that could shoot >5fps. The rest would fair worse than some prosumer digicams in terms of burst/continuous mode.

Which prosumer cameras can shoot at 4 fps which woudl beat a 3fps of a (lets say) nikon D100?

erwinx said:
1. 1Ds - just crop and you get equivalent 800mm

2. Consumer DSLRs are about 2-3 fps. Digicams can shoot 30 fps.

Your 30 fps is video mode ar?

what camera u refering to? I want to get...

Status
Not open for further replies.