WHATS NEXT FOR M43, after Olympus, what future is left?

E-M1X was chosen because it IS the top model of the company and Olympus/OMDS would be proud of, to compare it with any other company's camera.
Unless one is now suggesting that Olympus/OMDS should be ashamed of the E-M1X.

When choosing E-M1X, it is with a view to be generous to Olympus/OMDS.
Because E-M1X has 20.4 MP.
So that when compared to fpL 61 MP, the E-M1X would simply be inferior.

If instead another Olympus body which has 16 MP was chosen.
Then when compared to fpL 61 MP, the Olympus body would be outrageously inferior.
That would reflect badly on Olympus/OMDS.

Project into 30 years? Even Sony or Canon SLRs may not be around anymore!
I probably will be using Apple or Google glasses to take all my photos 30 years from now :cool:

You must be living in a cave to think that OMDS and Panasonic is standing still?
In fact, and I think both of them are moving faster than Nikon or Pentax!
Just google on all the new developments they are doing.

But I do agree on your last part:
If OMDS does not change, it will be dead soon (1 year after 1 Jan 2021) when JIP decides to rip it up to sell off the parts.

But this applies to other companies like Nikon or Pentax too! and any other companies in the world!
Even Lexus have to start making electric cars like Tesla, after Lexus has spent years perfecting their
super quiet petrol engines luxury cars (google for details).

Project this into the future about 30 years, say by 2050. Is OMDS and Panasonic still going to say that time stands still at 2008 and the world should be happy with MFT sensor size? Cannot be. Companies/manufacturers have to improve and evolve over time.
Otherwise consumers in 2021 will still be buying the electrical appliances/stuff they used to buy in the 1950's.
If OMDS does not change, it will be dead soon (1 year after 1 Jan 2021) when JIP decides to rip it up to sell off the parts.

Project this into the future about 30 years, say by 2050. Is OMDS and Panasonic still going to say that time stands still at 2008 and the world should be happy with MFT sensor size? Cannot be. Companies/manufacturers have to improve and evolve over time.
Otherwise consumers in 2021 will still be buying the electrical appliances/stuff they used to buy in the 1950's.

I don't think I will still care for photography in less than 30 years. Maybe by then they will have a a USB socket implanted into your brain for downloading photos.(if you still need photos then)

Even if it's ripped apart, that would definitely ensure the longevity of the mft format.

E-M1X was chosen because it IS the top model of the company and Olympus/OMDS would be proud of, to compare it with any other company's camera.
Unless one is now suggesting that Olympus/OMDS should be ashamed of the E-M1X.

When choosing E-M1X, it is with a view to be generous to Olympus/OMDS.
Because E-M1X has 20.4 MP.
So that when compared to fpL 61 MP, the E-M1X would simply be inferior.

If instead another Olympus body which has 16 MP was chosen.
Then when compared to fpL 61 MP, the Olympus body would be outrageously inferior.
That would reflect badly on Olympus/OMDS.
Then OMD should be proud since the reviewer say EM1X is clear winner vs Fp...LOL

You are the one keep barking on the physical size and the sensor size and MP.LOL

I

Last edited:
Be patient. Wait a few months and OMDS may make an announcement. One way or the other.
If OMDS does adopt full frame L mount, some who opposed it resolutely before; may sense the change in the direction the wind blows.
And then they may suddenly make a 180º turn, to praise OMDS for choosing Full Frame.

I thought OMDS will be dead at end of 2021 as you been mentioning for the past many posts? You are very funny indeed

Based on public knowledge of technology Olympus have, it is foolish for OMDS to adopt full frame L Mount, just like Panasonic.
Even a Die-hard Olympus Fan like me would not buy a Olympus Full Frame L Mount camera, if OMDS does not come up with
any unique features useful enough to woo me.

In the event OMDS is foolish enough to adopt L-mount and produce camera bodies with no unique advantages,
there is no need for anyone to praise OMDS.

We will only praise OMDS ifs L-mount bodies managed to take some market share from Sony and Canon!

Be patient. Wait a few months and OMDS may make an announcement. One way or the other.
If OMDS does adopt full frame L mount, some who opposed it resolutely before; may sense the change in the direction the wind blows.
And then they may suddenly make a 180º turn, to praise OMDS for choosing Full Frame.

No need to wait. here, a camera with your name on it.

For Ricoh's Unfortunatly it's only APS-C

If a company has done something for 12 years (2008 to 2020) and failed to the extent that the company must be divested.
Then after divestment, if it continues to do the same thing. Can it expect a new or better or different result? No chance.
Thus for Olympus/OMDS to stick to only MFT after 1 Jan 2021 - is a death wish.
They do not have to wait long for the execution. If OMDS does not turn a profit within 1 year, JIP has firmly stated what they will do.

As for Panasonic camera division probably the reasons it was not divested (yet) are:
Panasonic camera division was smart enough to get into full frame L mount.
The parent company Panasonic had deeper pockets to absorb the losses caused by MFT since 2008.

Olympus did manage to make a profit of about 500 million in 2015 and a few years after that'
This means that M43 was a viable alternative and both Olympus and Panasonic sold several hundred times more M43 bodies than Panasonic, Sigma and Leica sold L Format FF bodies.

The reason for Olympus Imaging Division being sold off are:
1) Huge decline in sales for digital cameras due to mobile phones capable of high quality images (good enough for normal consumers).
This lead to Olympus Imaging Division not able to cover its cost due to the huge drop in revenue
2) Stakeholders pressure to retain only the profitable divisions (Olympus other divisions are very profitable)
3) It's probably easier to get rid of the Imaging division staff by selling off the division than to retrench them

Bear in mind that Full Frame is not the magic pill to solve Olympus problem of declining sales, otherwise Nikon will not be struggling as well.

Whether OMDS stays in M43 format or venture in Full Frame, it NEED to have features to make it stand out from the crowd, bearing in mind that Nikon is struggling with this and Sony / Canon is NOT going to take things easy. Sony has already replicated some of the benefits of M43 sensors like no rolling shutter effects with its S-series and Canon has also tried to have lower priced long telephotos with slower apertures and compensating with better sensors with better ISO.

It's not going to be easy for OMDS and everyone is now watching out for the WOW model which OMDS has promised.

My only worry would be that under this new management, they follow the big camera companies, releasing minor updates in a new model instead of a free firmware update.

The verdict is out. OMDS has announced that it will not go into Full Frame or joint the L-Mount Alliance.
OMDS says it is going to develop a new product family.
My guess is it is a video-centric camera like the Panasonic GH5, but more capable, probably 6K or 8K.

Keep your fingers crossed :)

Last edited:
Unfortunately, the new Pentax K3 is pale in comparison to the Fujifilm XT-4 in terms of burst speed, IBIS and video
even though the list price of the Pentax K3 is about 25% higher than the XT4.

Hopefully, when Olympus comes out with its new WOW camera, the specs or some capabilities will make it stand out
(yes...it's a tall order).

No need to wait. here, a camera with your name on it.

For Ricoh's Unfortunatly it's only APS-C

Looks like OM Digital is very serious with Micro Four-Thirds.
It has announced that it will NOT be going into Full Frame at the moment.

No sense going full frame as the overall sale of photographic equipment (DSLR/ Mirrorless) is going downwards. Best bet is to improve sensor output quality (video/photo)and better lenses.

Panny leaving M43? Where did you get that?
They have just introduced the GH5 Mk2 and going to release the GH6.

Panny leaving M43? Where did you get that?
They have just introduced the GH5 Mk2 and going to release the GH6.

There is a link in his post. ;-)

Highly likely the camera division will be sold away if the market share is so low. It is a wise move. But whether the m43 will be dead for good, it is hard to say.

It is just a commercial decision. The world changes. New rivals (mobile phones) emerge that take away your market share.
Consumer preferences change. New generation of youngsters have an opinion of what products they wish to buy - that is different from their elders.
Those of us who are undying fans loyal to MFT, have spent a lot of SUNKEN costs. It is painful to let go.

The most interesting item I spotted in that article was that Panasonic had outsourced its TV production to TCL of China.
So now, I know if I buy Panasonic TV from Harvey Norman, it is not much different from buying TCL TV from Giant supermarket.

I hate Sony's menu system which I find stupid and user unfriendly.
I like Lumix cameras menu system and use a Lumix compact a lot.
Not sure whether Panasonic plans to give up only its consumer line of digital cameras.
Panasonic is quite famous for high end professional grade digital Video cameras. We are not talking about GH5 Mk2 + supposed GH6 here.

Credit: digitalcameraworld.com
Article on Panasonic

They say something about Panasonic camera division.
This sort of thing takes time to evolve. It may or may not happen.
In between there maybe denials. "Ambassadors" on YouTube will be used to issue denials (if any).

Camera business is such a small part of Panasonic overall enterprise that it does not even feature in the parent company's business report.
This can be interpreted 2 ways:
• Panasonic can afford to continue to lose money since it is so insignificant. Panasonic will keep the camera division.
• Panasonic can sell away the camera division immediately. Since the camera division is so negligible, that it is practically irrelevant.

I think both Olympus and Panasonic parent companies had indulged in the respective camera division's CEOs' fixation on MFT for too long.
And allowed the two to destroy the subsidiary; with their rigid inflexible foolishness; in a rapidly changing world.