WHATS NEXT FOR M43, after Olympus, what future is left?

Fullframe sensor not the answer to every photographic problem.
Apsc and micro four third has it's place.

What does 35mm fullframe mean for photography and video?

Last edited:
Example of apsc use case, canon R7 32mp apsc Vs fullframe. See @27: 30 and @30 min.

IMG_20221129_153054.jpg

Surprised that DP review recommends two m43 cameras at usd$ 1000 Panasonic G9 @3:35 and usd$ 3000 OM1 @6:10 as holiday picks for wildlife photography. Applause!!!

A discussion.

MFT is still usedful in some photo shoot situations, if the pro photogprapher cannot afford better full frame or APS-C equipment.

Note what Robin said from 7:23 to 7:50 about MFT.
Note what Matti Sulanto said at various parts of the video. When client pays you Top Dollar $$$$$$$ "obscene amount of money" to take professional photos of a highly technical engineering nature in an industrial environment. You need to use the best equipment you can afford.

Don't try to turn up with MFT camera + lens and insist that MFT is "good enough" for the client.
It is an insult to the client and highly UN-profesional of a pro photographer to try that.

Matti Sulanto said in old film days, medium format was important for certain professional shoots - like advertising.
The current digital medium format sensors are not the same size as film e.g. 6cm x 6cm or 6cm x 6.45cm or 6cm x 7cm.
Still a long way to go for digital sensor sizes to improve.

I am glad Robin and Matti are realistic and said that. I agreed to, as I used to work in a ProLab and print photos for such architecture photographers. At that time, they don't have 60mp SLR or 100mp Medium Format, What they do is they used Large Format Cameras (Film or digital back with tilt shift lens) to do the job for obscene amount of money!

MFT or even FF are not meant for this kind of jobs.

Yes, MFT is for photo situations where 20mp is sufficient and a larger sensor format is not required.
Just like you don't question why they dont put FF sensor in GoPro or Insta360!

Every format has photo situations it is ideal for. There is no all-in-one camera.

The tools are all there, it is up to each photographer to select they felt best meet their needs.
You definitely would not want to lug a FF DSLR with 3 lenses on a 1 week trek (8-10 hrs a day).
(You can but either you are very fit or you will be suffer throughout the trip :)
On more strenuous climbs, we even reduce from a MFT to mobile phone or a GoPro only.

MFT is a good in between, where I still have controls of a SLR (eg. Aperture, Shutter speed etc)
and is probably the lightest solution. Although Canon and Nikon tried to come out with smaller formats with interchangeable lenses, eg. Canon M series and Nikon V1 etc, I think they did not work out.

A discussion.

MFT is still usedful in some photo shoot situations, if the pro photogprapher cannot afford better full frame or APS-C equipment.

Note what Robin said from 7:23 to 7:50 about MFT.
Note what Matti Sulanto said at various parts of the video. When client pays you Top Dollar $$$$$$$ "obscene amount of money" to take professional photos of a highly technical engineering nature in an industrial environment. You need to use the best equipment you can afford.

Don't try to turn up with MFT camera + lens and insist that MFT is "good enough" for the client.
It is an insult to the client and highly UN-profesional of a pro photographer to try that.

Matti Sulanto said in old film days, medium format was important for certain professional shoots - like advertising.
The current digital medium format sensors are not the same size as film e.g. 6cm x 6cm or 6cm x 6.45cm or 6cm x 7cm.
Still a long way to go for digital sensor sizes to improve.

M43 from a professional...

I am noticing that as manufacturers released higher resolution models, there are more and more heat issues.
My son has a Sony A7 IV and it does get hot after a session of shooting.
Though it is not as severe as the Canon R5, it is still something to take note off, as the 5 mins of cool down may mean that you need to switch to a spare camera if you are doing a critical shoot halfway.

I only hope that for new models released manufacturers be more conservative and only increase the
processor speed and resolution provided they are able to incorporate ways to dissipate the heat.

Increasing the resolution is not good if it does not affect the stability of the camera.
I definitely rank stability and reliability above higher resolution.

https://www.bosma8k.com/

There is a new 33MP M43 sony sensor on this device. This sensor could make it’s way to OM or Lumix line-up in the future.

For the moment, what the current mft offer is way more than required for A0 prints.

Don't get carried away with this "BCN Award thing". It is strictly unofficial.

It is like an advertisement. Read it for amusement, laugh and that is all.

BCN is NOT a department of Japan's Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry (METI).

BCN is NOT Japan government official organ of state.

BCN is a private sector company that lists "Marketing" among its main activities.

In other words - pay them (directly or indirectly) and they will massage the statistics to make you look good.

It is basically the same commercial operation that a UK magazine does in its "What HiFi?" Awards, for Hi-Fi equipment.

There are no published parameters explaining in great detail how they arrive at the "ranking". All smoke and mirrors. Everything opaque.

If they collect data from only 40% of the Japan shops, then it already means a big 60% hole in the veracity of the data.

The data purporting to represent Japan alone, is meaningless in a World Wide Context.

In the past, Olympus Camera Division market share was so small that it could not be shown on the World Wide Market Share pie chart. That was how hopeless it was.

Similarly in the present, OMDS market share is so small that it could not be shown on the World Wide Market Share pie chart. That is how hopeless it is.

Ask yourself one question. If Olympus Camera Division was so good, why did the parent company decide to KILL it? Because it had been bleeding a sea of red ink for many years. That is why. The parent company saw no future in it.

For BCN to lump past Olympus Camera Division products with the new and completely different legal entity OMDS products - shows that this BCN ranking is plain nonsense. They do not even know what they are talking about.

There is no professional technical finesse in the statistical work. It is all BS and marketing puffing statements.

From an interview in 2022.

Quote: [

Panasonic2: This is because the proportion of business that’s full-frame is now increasing. That’s why our business is growing so well.
RDE: Actually, I remember Yamane-san telling me in a previous visit that it was his plan from the beginning to make full-frame cameras, and that Micro Four Thirds was a step towards that goal. So now you’re seeing the fruition of that plan.

] EndQuote

Ho hum.... monitor what happens later.

@ricohflex I remember since 2020, you have been prophetsizing the demise of OM Systems after JIP took over,
that after 1 year they will shut down the investment blah blah blah........

It is now more than 2 years since JIP took over from Olympus.
Not only did OM System did not die they have been introduced new camera bodies (OM-5), a few lenses
and more lenses to come. OM Systems have released several firmware updates for their new and even old Olympus products. But what surprised me is that the OM Workspace even includes Panasonic-Leica M43 firmware updates to work with the OM-1.

My friend who already got the OM-1 1 year ago just went to place an order for the Olympus 150-400 F4.5 with built in TC ( a much sought after lens for wild life photographers). He was told only 1 or 2 of these lenses is allocated to Singapore due to very high demand.

Just go to facebook and join 1 or 2 Olympus OM-1 users group and the local Olympus SG group. You will then see how many happy users there taking and posting their photos.

Ricohflex, by your logic, Sony, canon, Nikon can but not OMDS OM1... hahahaha. Well yodabashi whole year 2022 data states OMDS OM1 is in 12th. place of the top 20. Hey not bad right?

Edit: 45k views to date, that many want to see OMDS fail?

Last edited:
Yes, M43 definitely have a future. M43 may appeal to a niche market but definitely have enough demand for them to keep updating and introducing new lenses.

Why is this video relevant to this thread's topic? See the title of the video. "Goodbye Olympus".
Long time previously loyal user has given up and chosen to switch to other brand, Fuji.
Only 1 person. But it is a sign of an inflection point in trend.

@ricohflex, an inflection for him. You have to understand his motivations. After 10 years of Olympus he was tired of waiting for something new from Olympus, in particular an uprade to his retro pen f 2. So he changed to Fujifilm as being a business man teaching photo courses he knew Olympus is not cool anymore, well to his customers anyway. But notice his comments @8:20 he said the Fuji xt5 has a 4/3 format like olympus which he liked ( apsc = 3/2 ). Not only that he sold most of his gear but still retained an em1 with small zoom as he does not prefer the weight of the Fuji.
As any camera geek a new camera system satisfy his photo urges. Quite understandable. :D