WHATS NEXT FOR M43, after Olympus, what future is left?

Things has gotten so bad that Canon has just closed its China Factory in Zhuhai after 32 years, retrenching more than 1300 employees.
This is sad, especially I have used Canon for more than 10 years before moving to Olympus and Sony.
It just shows that the trend is moving towards other image capturing devices.
It is not because Olympus has chosen the wrong format to bet on or anything like that,
just that the market for M43 is more niche and probably being affected more.
I just hope that as many players will stay as possible so that consumers have more choices.

I believe OM system decision to down size 1.5 years ago is a good move. They predicted the mass market is shrinking rapidly. This move give them time to rethink the next move and hopefully survive this period. Don’t expect them to sell 300k units in 2022. LOL

OM digital solutions in 3rd. place for mirrorless cameras in Japan since it's introduction in 2008.

Technically, the chart is wrong.
It purports to show OM Systems sales since 2008.
OM Digital Solutions was founded on 9 Oct 2020.

Sales of Olympus digital cameras should be excluded since the Olympus camera division is DEAD.

The chart should show sales of OM Systems mirrorless interchangeable lens cameras since 9 Oct 2020.
Which would likely be near to zero.

The chart should be correctly described as mirrorless interchangeable lens cameras.
So as to exclude the compact cameras which are also mirrorless.

Technically, the chart is wrong.
It purports to show OM Systems sales since 2008.
OM Digital Solutions was founded on 9 Oct 2020.

>>>Go and read the report. It is talking about Panasonic was the pioneer in Mirrorless in 2008.
>>>If you look the chart carefully, it shows Olympus started mirrorless 1 year later in 2009.
>>>Olympus / OM Systems is still the same system!!!! The author just want to show continuity since 2008.
>>>Ricohflex, you always seem to miss the whole point or try to distort the mean theme of articles.

Sales of Olympus digital cameras should be excluded since the Olympus camera division is DEAD.
>>> The system is NOT dead. Olympus is being continued as OM Systems!
>>>And OM System have been releasing firmware updates and new products ever since it has taken over.

The chart should show sales of OM Systems mirrorless interchangeable lens cameras since 9 Oct 2020.
Which would likely be near to zero.
>>> The figures for all brands are probably low, with limited events and travel.
>>> But guess who is the one that shut down in Japan...... it is your namesake Ricoh!!!
>>> https://www.digitalcameraworld.com/...-reborn-but-will-disappear-from-camera-stores
>>> It is more likely that Ricoh and Pentax become Dead system first before OM, as with their prices will probably sky high
>>> without mass production but consumer direct one to one order

The chart should be correctly described as mirrorless interchangeable lens cameras.
So as to exclude the compact cameras which are also mirrorless.
>>> It should be excluded. The title of the article is on Mirrorless. If you are doubting the integrity of Nikkei reports, I suggest you write to them
>>> to clarify.

No, it is legally wrong.
Olympus Camera Division was killed by parent company.
OM Digital Solutions is a completely different legal entity.

As far as I know OM System branded camera bodies and lenses have not yet hit the market.
How can a chart purport to represent sales of OM System since the year 2008?
It is complete rubbish.

Being Sold and Being Killed are 2 different matter.
Unlike Sony who killed off the brand Minolta together with the Minolta system,
Olympus Camera Division is sold to JIP to form OM Systems,
and the M43 format, system, mount and lenses are all being retained.

I strongly suggest you read the report again to see whether the main point
is on Olympus or OM System or is it on something else.

Whether OM System is a separate legal entity is not important except that
you just want to find something to pick on, just like you keep arguing the
country of Manufacture for the Olympus 150-400mm lenses is not Japan.

Unfortunately, Ricohflex, you are the one that has been coming out with complete rubbish
eg. you keep harping on JIP dateline for OM Systems is 12months and it will be closed down.
I have asked you several times to point out the source of the info and you have failed to do that.

Richoflex,

OM System has already released its first lenses.

As far as I know OM System branded camera bodies and lenses have not yet hit the market.
How can a chart purport to represent sales of OM System since the year 2008?
It is complete rubbish.

Reactions: ricohflex
Thank you. That is good to know. Launch is one thing. Is it actually sold in the shops in Japan, US and Singapore.
And is it branded OM System instead of Olympus.
Not buying it. But wondering how local rep/agent Alan Photo will handle this change in Branding.

Last edited:
It is OM System. Click on the link I posted above and you can see the photo.

I am not sure if the local dealers want to carry this specialty prime lenses but anyone interested can order it from Amazon or BH Photovideo.

I noticed the camera stores in Singapore have generally reduced their stock quite a lot during this pandemic.

What JIP will do if it is not able to make OM Digital Solutions profitable within 1 year. Deadline is about January 2022.
JIP may or may not wind up OM Digital Solutions and sell the pieces. New branding may be an error. Olympus is a recognizable brand name.
This new model so-called wow camera could be the arbiter. If it sells well, good for JIP.

I heard Feb 2022 OM system is announcing something. Could it be end of m43??? Need your expert forecast.

OM System will make an announcement tomorrow 25 Jan 2022.
Hopefully it is their WOW Camera :)

Here is another report stating that sales of OM Systems is No.3 in Japan in 2021.

It is broken into several categories, so @ricohflex accusation that it includes compact cameras etc is not true!

If you look at the Japanese Report (use Google Chrome to translate) https://digicame-info.com/2022/01/bcn-award-202211.html
It also says: "BCN has announced "BCN AWARD 2022" based on the share of sales volume of major dealers nationwide in 2021. "
It does not sum up the sales of Olympus since 2008 as stated by @ricohflex

OM Systems Being 3rd in 1 category is actually nothing to shout about, as there are only 2 big giants Sony and Canon. Fujifilm, Pentax, Leica, Panasonic and OM are considered relatively small.

But the point is, OM Systems is NOT dying soon or to be cut off very soon as accused by @ricohflex

It would be good if OM Digital Solutions can bring a dead company back to life.
Somewhat like the miracle of The Resurrection.
However, it does not seem that way.

The usual proliferation of hot air (which we saw a lot of before Olympus Camera Division died) persists.

So far there has been something along the lines of:

• We have a wow camera in the works.
• We are planning to do this.
• We are planning to do that.
• We plan to launch abc, xyz, etc.
• We have the following lenses to be produced.
• We are more flexible.
• There will be exciting product announcement.
• OM Digital Solutions to launch “many” new products in 2021.
• Through our products and services, we hope to create exciting experiences that bring joy and inspiration.

Looks like a delay strategy.
Then one day they may announce the new company cannot make it. They tried. Now they need to liquidate.
Cleverly side stepping Japan strict labour laws.

Not sure if Ricohflex don't read news and not aware of the Global Supply Shortage affecting even giants like Sony
or Ricohflex trying to distort a viewpoint to bring Olympus down again. Pls google or read the news below

Ricohflex, your thinking must be very warpped, to even imagine JIP spent tons of $$$ to take over the Olympus Camera Division,
and only come up with all the Hot Air you mentioned above and have no plans to launch anything. JIP might as well close down
the whole OM Systems instead of wasting time coming with Hot Air.

The fact that they have been releasing firmware updates and teasers and the coming WOW Camera shows that they really want to do something.

We can only wait for C+ in about 1 month time to see if OM Systems reveal the WOW Camera. :)

Happy CNY to all
This thread is reaching 300 replies over 2 years, meanwhile -
1. Olympus camera has been sold
2. OM systems are still planning to revive the camera previously known as Olympus
3. We still have not agree not the future of Olympus
4. We have our own opinions, analysis and outlook and unsurprisingly it differs from one another
5. Our disagreement can be seen as healthy debate, or antagonistic, or somewhere in between.
6. But personally and diplomatically for me the future of OM Systems is extremely challenging.
7. What are your thoughts?

Happy CNY!

Yes, even from a strong Olympus supporter like me, I do agree that the future of OM Systems is extremely challenging, BUT it is not any fault of OM Systems or Olympus. There is really nothing wrong with M43 format. I really love it. But together with the challenges OM System is facing, Panasonic, Ricoh, Pentax, Canon and Nikon are also facing severe challenges too. You can google on the challenges they are facing!

I have had many friends who have already given up their DSLR / Mirrorless and now only use a Mobile Phone when they travel. For many people, the image quality and resolution is good enough. After all, most of them are only sharing them on Social Media and store them on the cloud for memory sake.

There will still be demand for Mirrorless Cameras (DSLR and Medium Format could be a thing of the past very soon too) for the Die-Hard Hobbyist and Professionals. But this is going to be a small market. And the prices of Mirrorless cameras are going to increase dramatically. Just look at the prices of the recently launched Sony A7 IV and A7 R4. Ouch! Buy Sony probably has to price them that way in order to cover fixed costs due to the low projected quantity to be sold.