What's is your DSLR Buying Priority

Whats your DSLR buying style?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

NE clicks clicks

Dec 5, 2005
This days, Manufacturer are releasing New DSLR models at shocking pace. A new model only holds on to the tag of being the latest for about 18 to 24 mths before being replace by even newer model. Always intrigue by how fellow CSers responds to all this latest gadgets and temptation.:think:

I know there is no right or wrong in any buying patterns, just curious. So I am setting up a poll to see Fellow CSers response.
Let me starts first. I am those who will squeeze the last drop out of the DSLR before going for a new DSLR. I also place more emphasis on lens than Camera body. That just me

Feel free to comment on this issue:)

Get the lenses first. But if I have a good collection already, I may go for the next higher model of cam...

In this age of technological development, bodies price dropped too fast, and I think most will collect the lens and wait for FF to be the main stream....

At least this is what I am waiting for....

Unlike film bodies.... now, bodies price is dropping too fast to worth the investment....

Until the sensor and MP race stabilized... when little more function or development can be incorporated..... price will dropped....

I will go for SPECIFIC new functions or features which I THINK I need,

like maybe the wide DR of fujifilm, or live view of olympus, or in-body stabilization.

I usually don't upgrade just because the newer model has err... more resolution or bigger LCD or better ISO performance.

There was a time when I had 3 bodies at one time but then I have quite a few lens too. I guess that was at the peak of my passion with cameras. And I did use them all. Non was a "showroom" piece and I was doing alot of freelance and FOC work as I was tryijg to learn more about my hobby.

These days I only have 2 bodies and out of the two, one has already been retired for a very long time after having been with me since the day I bought it brand new,the Nikon FG.

Ultimately you find a camera's basic function is really to take pictures be it film or digital. Sure auto exposure, more complex metering, faster focusing..etc has been steadily improving and in some cases by leaps and bound (abeit some of them are more marketing feature then practical) but you have to try to keep in mind too that...there were tons of beautifully taken pictures that has grace us ever since the early years of the camera. Again...all you needed was a basic camera with the ability to adjust shutter speed and aperture and a few lens to boot and there you go.

So essentially for me at least, I intend to stick to my D70 till it's end days. I did my homewrok back then and I actually was intending to get the D100 but in the end chose the D70 as it has certain technology which I find was a step better then the D100 and would be for sometime. I see very little reason to getting a new body unless there are features in the new one that will improve on the basics by leaps and bound in the practicality dept. Ya more advance metering is good but hey I have been shooting long enough to sometime be able to gauge the right exposure for what I want to shoot simple by looking at a scene. I could walk about in manual mode and not worry.

I would buy more lens if I can yes. I think differally at one time about lens but in the age of VR, I could see myself replacing ( if I can afford it and save enough) all my lens to VR lens. The added stability I think helps more then feature of focusing in my view. That I think is a worthwhile upgrade reason. And my promise to myself to try not to buy too many DX lens way back then has come full circle and I am happy my gamble that full frame bodies will come back within the life span of my D70 is true. I forsee in about 1-2 yrs that will trickle down to maybe the D400 or D90 or whatever model it will be...so we all can enjoy the full frame with our non-DX lens. It will then be buy buy buy day for me. I will only change when I see a need to and can justify it as the advancement in it has take a leap far enough to make it worth while in the practical sense, suits my ability and frequency of use.

But for others who are into collecting them when they could afford it, first line adopters or are willing to make the sacrifice to buy them as their passion for new technology is stronger then their need to use that money for something else..well more power to them. In any market...you need people like that to keep the advancement coming. You just have to remember that only you can make that choice to buy or not buy. If it is for the sake of your hobby in photography. Great, But if it is for something else. You really need therapy. haaaaa....

Usually will use for at least a year or two and change only if there are critical features that my existing one does not have. Cant say you are really fully utilizing them in such short time frames...

i usually try to tell myself "buy only after 2 or more generation(DSLR) down the road"

but i always end up with the latest model in my hands.I suspect this is caused by the BBB virus:cry:

i think i only buy when there is a necessity to buy. or when my camera is actually restricting what i can do.

for example, Pentax S4 -> Panasonic FZ5 -> Canon 350D -> Canon 30D.

the next logical 'upgrade' would be either 1.3x or FF with weather sealing. but only when the time comes and i actually require it. there are a lot of benefits to having a 1.6x camera, although i do miss not having weather sealing with sealed lenses.

It might be a tough call for people to actually use a camera till it's dead. More than likely they will sell it when it is sufficiently obsolete but usually still far from dead. In some threads (and books) I've read of professional photographers who will sell their cameras after using it a lot in the studio. Cosmetically the camera might look fine but mechanically it's well-used and probably on the way to a dead shutter. That's when they drop it cheap to an amateur and buy a new camera.

had a d60 for 9mths and it was indeed very entry level until i gave up and go for d90.

Unlike film bodies.... now, bodies price is dropping too fast to worth the investment....

film bodies in their heyday probably were worth much more than what u buy them for, today.

but u are right in that sense that most film bodies will retain a nominal value even 10 yrs down the road. some may even appreciate in value. a DSLR 10 yrs from its intro would only be of value to a collector, i think..

had a d60 for 9mths and it was indeed very entry level until i gave up and go for d90.

i use D60 also, but when i want to upgrade to d90, many people said it is not worth it.. they ask me to go for d300.. hahaha (expensive T_T)

but is still use my d60.. for me, the important thing in photography is not the camera... it is about the art of seeing thing... hehehe...

but if money is not my concern, i will buy the higher level camera, too...

cheers.. ^^

Wow, my old thread of 2 years is being revived!!!

It might be a tough call for people to actually use a camera till it's dead. More than likely they will sell it when it is sufficiently obsolete but usually still far from dead.

Totally agreed on that.
I am one of those who thought I would squeeze the last drop out of my good old 20D before I would be buying a new camera..... However, technology has move so fast that I find the FF DSLR just irresistable. Furthermore, 20D's small 1.8" LCD, lack of spot metering and the noise control at high ISO setting finally prompted me to take the next step and bought myself the lovely Eos 5D Mk II.
that said, I am not ditching my faithful Eos 20D, and will use it as a backup.

Buy what you can afford... It really can't get any simpler.

Buy what you can afford... It really can't get any simpler.

Totally agree... I just got the Canon 50D cos I can't afford the 5D MkII.

im a wedding photographer and jpeg shooter. . . still stick to my s2 and s5. . suit my purpose. . . i want nice colours and dont want to spend too much time in front of my computers. .

I intend to use the camera until it die then buy the latest model. Just wonder what you will do with your dead camera? Just throw into the trash bin? Most of the components are still usable. If in my country, I can sell it to repairer with cheap price, at least I know it is useful to somebody.

im a wedding photographer and jpeg shooter. . . still stick to my s2 and s5. . suit my purpose. . . i want nice colours and dont want to spend too much time in front of my computers. .

U need only one camra body at a time. The other camera body will lying in the dry cabinet most of the time instead
of lying at the shop. So, why pay for it lying in your cabinet
This sort of thinking will hopefully deter u from buying

Status
Not open for further replies.