Whats going to replace the now aging D100??!!!??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spaztik

Jul 5, 2004
Rumor Patrol!

D200? :dunno:

What is wrong with D100 that it should be replaced......

For the D100 replacement, I'd like a higher sensor mp, perhaps about 8mp, 1.5 is fine, as long as the noise control is well taken care of, best is to have the grip built in and use a high capacity battery like the one the D2H is using. FPS can remain the same. That's about it, nothing on the replacement I'll actually want.

Oh yeah, i-TTL and CLS please :)

I can do without the 1005 pixel 3D metering though. And hope the highlights remain as the same without getting blown out. And hopefully this time the I/O speed is matchable to that of the D2H so that I can write RAWs faster. That's all, what else needs to improve?

- i-TTL/CLS
- I/O speed
- Higher MP
- Less shutter lag
- 99% VF coverage
- 1.5x FLM

Guess that's all it needs to replace the D100.

Let me remind all that C vs N threads are frowned upon. We all know they lead to flaming and mudslinging, so keep the Canon-Nikon posts away. By all means, feel free to discuss what the next D100 replacement might be, but the next post i see that's making a dig at other brands (however thinly disguised it might be) will be deleted and this thread locked.

The Moderator
Marketplace

I am very much satisfied with current D100 specs.

My only issue at times is the size of the buffer. when I am taking action shots (shot in Raw), I was running out of "bullets" fast. If there is a replacement for D100, I hope the buffer size is tripled (at least).

Larry said:
Let me remind all that C vs N threads are frowned upon. We all know they lead to flaming and mudslinging, so keep the Canon-Nikon posts away. By all means, feel free to discuss what the next D100 replacement might be, but the next post i see that's making a dig at other brands (however thinly disguised it might be) will be deleted and this thread locked.

The Moderator
Marketplace

I do agreed that we should keep the Canon-Nikon posts away. If the post is directed at Nikon thread, we shall try to discuss about Nikon items, there are ppls who love to stir up emotions between ppls. Let it made known that they are not welcome to post any "UFO" subjects/items on this thread. ;)
But, we do welcome them to post any constructive comments.

Larry said:

The Moderator
Marketplace
I agree as well. But this would only make those, especially those who are senior enough (around 4x my post count, I might add) to know better, achieve the aim of stirring up problem in this forum.

In any case, my contribution:
1.5x (is there any doubt? :rolleyes: )
As fast if not faster writes than D70 (is there any doubt as well)
higher max MP (like always, you can dial it down) say 8?
1005-pixel 3D color Matrix metering
i-TTL/CLS full (cf D70)
Black :D
Have verticle grip with release
Lower noise
USB 2.0 interface
Less than $3000 street price

Watcher said:
i-TTL/CLS full (cf D70)
Lower noise
USB 2.0 interface

So you are happy to pay $3000 for essentially a lower noise D70 but with 8MP and vertical grip? Why not just get a D70? It's not as if the D70 has a big problem with noise and I don't hear many D70 users complain about the lack of a vertical grip ...

In any case, Nikon better do something about the D100. It's getting rather long in the tooth and many people see the cheaper D70 as the better option, and who can blame them?

I heard that the D70 is more or less based on the F75 and the D100 is more or less based on the F80.

So, the replacement of the D100 should continue to be based on the F80 or some improvement of the F80. I notice that the mirror is still based on the FF size and not the reduced DX size. Dunno about the ground glass screen and the pentaprism - FF or DX size. Apart from those mentioned, I dream of having a FF sensor, and willing to pay up to 5k for it - if I dream hard inuf or looong enough, it should come true - a matter of time.

Hope that it would come with a butter smooth shutter like the F80. The D70's shutter is terribly jerky, and the D100 is a little better. BTW, so far, the F80's shutter is about the best I know. Even those higher end shutters are no better in terms of vibration and noise. However, even using long lens like a 300F4 + 1.4x TC and with tripod, I have no problem with camera shake. Probably, the jerk is due to the mirror return, which fortunately doesn't affect the pic.

They released the D100 replacement earlier this year. Its called the Coolpix 8700.

erwinx said:
They released the D100 replacement earlier this year. Its called the Coolpix 8700.

:think:

Well anyway, there are 2 sides to the coin, full frame means the stuff like sigma 50-500 a bit like argh... Wonder how is the performance of it at the corners.

Stick it into stuff like a Oly E-1 (lets say can lar), you get 1000mm/5.6. :eek: I am sure you as a nature shooter can appreciate this. :)

eh...perhaps Nikon could do wat it used to do wif older models....

D100x.....D100s etc....kindda like Canon's MK II...do and internal upgrade for the same body..

Watcher said:
I agree as well. But this would only make those, especially those who are senior enough (around 4x my post count, I might add) to know better, achieve the aim of stirring up problem in this forum.

i-TTL/CLS full (cf D70)
Lower noise
USB 2.0 interface

oh yahh.... amen.. lesss more ... less than 3k.. every one happy

Luval said:
oh yahh.... amen.. lesss more ... less than 3k.. every one happy

more to add probably
faster AF speed .. like the F100 of the F5 workhorse
cheaper AFS (zoom lens)lens on the market .. just sidetrack abit :D

...ermmm apart from all that mention by the others ... tha all i guess

2100 said:
:think:

Well anyway, there are 2 sides to the coin, full frame means the stuff like sigma 50-500 a bit like argh... Wonder how is the performance of it at the corners.

Stick it into stuff like a Oly E-1 (lets say can lar), you get 1000mm/5.6. :eek: I am sure you as a nature shooter can appreciate this. :)

For those who still want the longer reach of the 1.5x cropping factor, it's simple - just crop your pic after shooting. FF means having affordable 18mm WA, I mean true, real, genuine wide angles. It's a matter of time, or how long to wait before we get a affordable and decent FF with the F-mount.

Amfibius said:
So you are happy to pay $3000 for essentially a lower noise D70 but with 8MP and vertical grip? Why not just get a D70? It's not as if the D70 has a big problem with noise and I don't hear many D70 users complain about the lack of a vertical grip ...

In any case, Nikon better do something about the D100. It's getting rather long in the tooth and many people see the cheaper D70 as the better option, and who can blame them?
Oh I also *wish* it would be using the CAM 1300 but there was a disagreement on that :) That said, I would like Nikon to give me a good surprise :D

That said, it has been often repeated that what matters is the person behind the camera.

it WAS rumoured that a D90 was schedualed for release on Feb - Jun 05 ? well it was somewhere on this Nikon thread... hahahahaa.. :bsmilie:

smallaperture said:
For those who still want the longer reach of the 1.5x cropping factor, it's simple - just crop your pic after shooting. FF means having affordable 18mm WA, I mean true, real, genuine wide angles. It's a matter of time, or how long to wait before we get a affordable and decent FF with the F-mount.
omg am i seeing right? simply crop the pic after shooting?

anyway the FOV crop means we already have affordable telephotos. u know the difference in price between a 300 2.8 and a 400 2.8? can buy a few of the widest WA lenses in the market leh..

Status
Not open for further replies.