What's everyone's fav soft focus filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hoppinghippo

Apr 10, 2002
photos.yahoo.com
Hi just wondering, what works for everyone? cuz I would like to get one for taking graduation pics, want to achieve the nice soft portrait effect while still having enuff clearness to see face? currently I have hoya diffusor but find it way too blur. was wondering about fog, duto or softner?

and if the filter is such that centre is sharp while edge blur then will this limit the image alot in that the subject MUST be in the centre of the composed pic?

hoya filters

thanx!

why dont you take the photo without any special effects filter, then go to a professional lab and tell them u want to soft the photos?

advantages of doing this... u can get both sharp or soften images whenever u want

if u add the softener, everything will be soften.

Yep. Favourite softening filter is Adobe Photoshop. Before all that nonsense, it used to be the Nikon Soft series and the Zeiss Softars, depending on the kind of effect you're after. Now, I've got one built into my lens ;)

If you like, you might want to give the Nikon Soft 1 filter a try. The softening effect should be quite pleasing. It's not cheap though, costing more than $100. I have a Nikon Soft 2 filter and I thought it was a little too strong for my liking. Despite that, it still work rather well under certain situation (as compared to a non-filtered shot taken under the same situation). :)

KS

WOW!!!! $100 for a filter!!!! I don't think I can afford that man!! must sell vcd to earn that kind of money to spend on just one filter! :bsmilie:

Womens nylon pantyhose (sheer thin ones)

Originally posted by Jed
Yep. Favourite softening filter is Adobe Photoshop. Before all that nonsense, it used to be the Nikon Soft series and the Zeiss Softars, depending on the kind of effect you're after. Now, I've got one built into my lens ;)

How's the lens Jed? No problems I hope! Post some pics taken with it if you can!

The lens is lovely (profuse apologies).

I haven't had too much time to mess about with it unfortunately. I thought it would be good for work and nothing's changed that assessment, but only when I have a second camera body, which alas, ahem, I'm still struggling to grab hold off.

I'm not that sold on the special feature of the lens, it ranges from very very mild to reasonable, but in the case of the latter, it comes at the sacrifice of subject softness (as in, a soft focus lens). It is however a killer soft focus lens.

I will get around to doing some proper testing with it at some stage, but the problem is I've realised it's a bit long with the FLM (even the 105 would've been so that's not the problem). Aargh I think I really *do* want an 85/1.4. But then again when I get a camera without an FLM, I'll end up needing the 135 FL again...

As for stockings...

Hmm.. with my limited experience, the subject isn't that soft if you stop down a bit.. the lens sure needs quite a while to figure out. :p

hahaha I like the idea of pantyhose, imagine doing street shots with pantyhose over your lens! wonder how pple would react!

that's a very famous photographer(can't remember his name). He don't use any soft forcus filter or paper. He takes a deep breath and blow it onto the lens. Soft effect.

I tried that before, but I guess in singpore's climate its too hot to maintain the fog on the lens long enuff to take a good shot, always defog too quickly

Hi Hoppin...

Take out the UV filter, blow some vapour onto the inner side and quickly screw it on back. THis will trap the moisture for a while....

Rgards,
Sulhan

Yes yes stopping it down reduces the soft focus relative to the effect used. Which ensures the subject stays sharp. But reduces the effect of the lens. Which brings us back to square one.

I need to do more tests. But like people say, treat it as a fast tele lens rather than some wannabe Leica lens.

Status
Not open for further replies.