Status
Not open for further replies.

photografixed

Jul 25, 2004
Singapore
hi,
it's me again........

here's my question.

most film scanner have their dynamic range from eg 3.2 to 4.8 and i would like to know what are the range of for Dslrs? :dunno: :think: :think:

what are the dynamic range that our eyes can differentiate easily(eg for average person, non-photographers)

i read it somewhere but can't really remember where was it. it mentioned the DSLR has an average DR of about 2.5-2.8 & film has above 3.2. this value is used in DR density & not DR measurement directly. neg is only 1.9. :(

does it really matter? if you like what you see in the photograph, then the range is good.

some people find this useful, like me for eg. :)

knowing the sys & their limitations will help in optimising it to obtain best results.

others might not bother.

:cheers:

I can't remember where I have read and can't remember if I remember correctly(getting old), DSLR is about 5 stops, Film 7 stops and human 9 stops.

nightpiper said:
i read it somewhere but can't really remember where was it. it mentioned the DSLR has an average DR of about 2.5-2.8 & film has above 3.2. this value is used in DR density & not DR measurement directly. neg is only 1.9. :(

Neg has the least dynamic range? LOL........

nightpiper said:
some people find this useful, like me for eg. :)

knowing the sys & their limitations will help in optimising it to obtain best results.

others might not bother.

well, a good guage would be use the histogram function in your camera. Take the metering that would produce peaks in the middle and try to aviod as much as possible the shadow and highlight at the 2 extreme edge. There is an article in Luminious landscape, please refer there for more info.

ckiang said:
I always thought negs have like 7 stops, slides and DSLR are similar at around 4-5?

Regards
CK

It would be lucky if DSLR have +- 2 stops, just take the picture on a crumpled white shirt with flashlights you lose all the details ;) .... I had tried negative to +- 4 stops before, and it still seems ok (so effectively 9 stops)..... well except for Konica........ :D

Well, as you probably already know, DSLR have more range on the "underexposure" side, so maybe -3 to +2 or something to that effect. :)

Negs on the other hand, has lots of latitude on the overexposure side.

Regards
CK

DR is the range between black to white (useable w/o lossing details). although negs has a big latitude for overexpose but the blacks clipped easily. if u use slides, the over expose part is only about 1stop but it can take deep shadows & dark areas very well.

i believe slide film has more DR over negs, its one of the factors affecting the final look. slide film look very much better compare to negs.

in regard to the original post, the no. is a measure of DR density & not stops. so dun get confused. having higher density value equates to wider DR.

Dynamic range is usually written as a ratio in d log format. D log just means that the number they give represents a power of 10. So instead of writing that the dynamic range is 10 to the third power, they just write 3. By saying it's a ratio, they're just saying that the lightest value that the machine can separate out is 10 to the 3rd (10x10x10 or 1000) times brighter than the darkest value that it can separate. Now for the good part. We can mathematically compare a d log Dynamic Range with the Zone System. A Dynamic Range of 3 tells us that our brightest value is 1000 times brighter than our darkest value. Since every zone or stop represents a power of 2 (we're always doubling our brightness every time we open a stop), a dynamic range of 10 to the 3rd will roughly cover a 10 stop range of values (2 to the 10th power =2x2x2x2x2x2x2x2x2x2 = 1024 which comes pretty close to 10 to the 3rd or 1000). A device that has a dynamic range of 2.5 (10 to the 2 and 1/2 = 316), will cover only about an 8 stop range (2 to the 8th=256).

Tell me whats wrong in representing it as stops? 9 stops roughly = 2.8 - 3

Status
Not open for further replies.