What's all this unfilled warranty cr*p?

Status
Not open for further replies.

surefire

Feb 25, 2008
I have lost count of the number of ads I have seen where the seller says that the warranty period is still 12 months just because he still has an unsent blank warranty card! Does it really work this way?

If that's the case, why would anyone even bother to fill in the warranty card - just wait until you drop the camera/lens then register the warranty before sending the item in!

I can't believe that Canon or Nikon etc would not check your receipt against the warranty period. Worse still, some buyers even rate their goods as "Mint" on this basis even though they could have had it for several months. Ok, rant over - what do you guys think?

Caveat emptor they say. BTW, unfilled warranty is as good as no warranty without the purchase receipt/invoice. About the "Mint" condition, take it with a pinch of salt. Cheers!

one word - marketing tactic. :D

dont buy second hand equipment. buy new ones. no worries. no stress.

I have lost count of the number of ads I have seen where the seller says that the warranty period is still 12 months just because he still has an unsent blank warranty card! Does it really work this way?

If that's the case, why would anyone even bother to fill in the warranty card - just wait until you drop the camera/lens then register the warranty before sending the item in!

I can't believe that Canon or Nikon etc would not check your receipt against the warranty period. Worse still, some buyers even rate their goods as "Mint" on this basis even though they could have had it for several months. Ok, rant over - what do you guys think?

it doesn't work that way. they have record for shipment. sometimes they do ask for receipt as proof as well (sometimes they don't).

those ppl u mentioned prob nv read the guidelines, so they rate it as mint.

buyers beware!!!

Warranty is tied with the receipt. So a unfilled warranty means nothing...

Not filling and sending in the warranty card until a few months after the purchase of a piece of equipment to get "extended" warranty is a trick that probably worked decades ago. The manufacturers have long since figured that out.

yeah~ whenever I see those ads with such 'promos' I think to myself either the seller thinks that he's too smart or that he's out to con unsuspecting buyers... You can fill in your warranty card like months after your purchase, but when it states date of purchase, it'll need the official receipt as proof too! unless of course, even your receipt is unfilled (date) like those hand written ones some shops issue~ *shrugs*

dont buy second hand equipment. buy new ones. no worries. no stress.

Can't agree with you more :cool:

Warranty period still same. The good thing is that warranty can now be registered in the new owner's name, which may make him feel more "one" with his new toys

Last edited:
Warranty is tied with the receipt. So a unfilled warranty means nothing...

I've witnessed someone going back to the shop months later to have the date written in the receipt, presumably months later. He probably also posted the warranty card at that time.

Think about it - it not always is a scam, but perhaps could be a true-blue owner who wants a "longer" warranty period for his eqpt. Usually, nothing happens within the first 6 months or so.

As far as checking against s/no. are concerned, shops may take sometime to turn their stock. So I think a few months difference between the time that the stock was dispatched vs the warranty card date is "acceptable". Go figure.

I'm just playing the devil's advocate ... not that I condone such behaviour.

Last edited:
For the purpose of warranty, it has been for a while that the manufacturer will base the start date from the date of purchase on the receipt.

In some cases, unfilled does not mean warranty hasn't start as many companies (esp for bigger ticket items) will auto trigger warranty based on information gathered from their distribution channels.

I know people who do not like to have a warranty card with other people's name on it.

Unfilled warranty card are sometimes seen as an indication that the item has not been through any warranty repair.

well technically it's not lying, is it? :) unless they state specifically that there is full warranty left, which is of course hogwash.

newbies beware, best to remember to get receipt from the previous owner.. if don't have, and he is selling at relatively high price (because of claimed warranty), don't buy. you have the right to do so and if he starts a kbkb thread in clubsnap about you i suppose he'd get stoned.

Da secret is to ask for UNDATED Official receipts as well as unfilled warranties, and make sure the item was never registered online before.

Da secret is to ask for UNDATED Official receipts as well as unfilled warranties, and make sure the item was never registered online before.

no; da secret is always to buy from me :)

because i don't hide the truth :)

if u look at me sell/buy;
my stuff are always abused... kncks here, dropped in water ... and i always sell at a premium because my gears has been places and has been well used

i not like many people -- "always in dry cabinet" ... when used or not used

i buy gears to use; not 4 collection and storage... am not in container biz

i am looking to sell my condition 6 d50 for $2000/- ; 2-1/2 yrs old... almost always never sits in dry cabi

anyone ???

Last edited:
in Serial Snapper's sales thread, someone asking if he accepts trade-in was making the point that his camera warranty card was unfilled. i don't know what his intention was but this got me thinking and worried.

what's to stop unscrupulous dealers (i don't mean Serial Snapper) from buying 2nd-hand cameras and passing them off as new? if it's a Nikon, at least you can check the shutter count easily - but if it's a Canon, you will be none the wiser. perhaps this is where it's safer to buy from authorised dealers

in Serial Snapper's sales thread, someone asking if he accepts trade-in was making the point that his camera warranty card was unfilled. i don't know what his intention was but this got me thinking and worried.

what's to stop unscrupulous dealers (i don't mean Serial Snapper) from buying 2nd-hand cameras and passing them off as new? if it's a Nikon, at least you can check the shutter count easily - but if it's a Canon, you will be none the wiser. perhaps this is where it's safer to buy from authorised dealers
how to check shutter count easily and reliably?

how to check shutter count easily and reliably?

For which system are you refering to? For most EOS cameras, only way is to send back to canon. 1 series can DIY

im not sure but , it does work with my sony phones.

Status
Not open for further replies.