Whats a recommended Tripod ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

majere2sg

Mar 31, 2003
Singapore (SengKang)
majere2sg.clubsnap.org
For use on Sony F717 now. Maximum height around 1.6 to 1.7m, minimum height around 20cm (for macro or insect shots ?) Support up to 3 to 5kg so that I can reuse it in case I upgrade to DSLR in the future. Budget around S$100 to S$200. Thanks ! :)

Ur budget quite good for non-CF tripods....
Think U can go for Manfrotto 190 series or SLIK Pro series.....
Think they satisfies Ur height, load and pricing requirements....

But they maybe rather heavy though.....

352RC is a manfrotto ballhead

Would recommend 352RC ($59 b4 gst) in the past, but not now, since 486RC2 ($65 b4 gst) is newer and better as it got tension grip.

Does anyone knows the selling price of 055Pro Black ?
Seem like its either 190 Pro or 055 Pro for me.
055 Pro will be better since it can extends up to 1.7+m while 190Pro only at 1.4+m but the weight of 055Pro (2.4kg?) is heavier than the 190 Pro (1.9kg?)
Thanks guys !

Originally posted by majere2sg
Does anyone knows the selling price of 055Pro Black ?
Seem like its either 190 Pro or 055 Pro for me.
055 Pro will be better since it can extends up to 1.7+m while 190Pro only at 1.4+m but the weight of 055Pro (2.4kg?) is heavier than the 190 Pro (1.9kg?)
Thanks guys !

The 190 might be 140cm+.

However, with a head and the camera itself (view-finder is on the top part of the camera), it will be suitable for a person who is 170cm+.

Most importantly, bring your setup to the shop to test.

Originally posted by binbeto
The 190 might be 140cm+.

However, with a head and the camera itself (view-finder is on the top part of the camera), it will be suitable for a person who is 170cm+.

Most importantly, bring your setup to the shop to test.

I see, might go down on this weekend and try out ! Thanks guys !

I just got a Manfrotto 190ProB and 141RC, the height is slightly lower than my eye level when I am standing straight upright , but the centre column is adjustable, I'm 1.7m.

Originally posted by AJ23
I just got a Manfrotto 190ProB and 141RC, the height is slightly lower than my eye level when I am standing straight upright , but the centre column is adjustable, I'm 1.7m.

ermm the tripod is 145cm and with the 141RC which is 13cm so total height should be around 159cm.
Mounted with the camera, probably its okay for you :)
But I'm 1.78m.. :p
Btw, I heard from my colleague who said its better to get a tripod that is high enough so you don't have to extend the centre column (might not be stable?) :dunno:

then u'll need a taller tripod. :) And yes, under normal condition, if dun need to extend the centre column, the better.

Originally posted by majere2sg
ermm the tripod is 145cm and with the 141RC which is 13cm so total height should be around 159cm.
Mounted with the camera, probably its okay for you :)
But I'm 1.78m.. :p
Btw, I heard from my colleague who said its better to get a tripod that is high enough so you don't have to extend the centre column (might not be stable?) :dunno:
In that case I would suggest u get the 055 Pro, shld be tall enuff for u without extending the centre column. Its heavier than 190 Pro, but I think its alright if u dun mind lugging around the weight. As for the head, recommend the 486RC2, ~$80 w/ GST.

You want an honest take on tripod?

Most of the tripods you mention are probably going to stay at home after 2-3 time of use. They are going to weight like a ton of bricks after you walk for about 3 blocks. And at the end of a zoo trip, that will be the end of yourself as well.

Wanna get a tripod that goes 1.7m but need not extend the centre column? Sure, are you built like Arnie? That kind of tripod will weigh at least 3kg, perfect for a studio setup, highly impractical for streetshooting.

I seriously suggest you get a tripod for your existing setup i.e. the Sony 707. Which will be a very affordable Slik Sprint Pro at about $80. Get that, and then get a UN Quick Shoe Jumbo to go with the ballhead. A cheap and effective tripod combo for your setup.

Worry not about upgrading for the future. When that day comes for you to get that DSLR, you should logically have the money to get a CF tripod as well.

Both the 190/055 are overkill for your 717. Not to mention the fact that when coupled with a ballhead, the combo and bulk will make you think twice about bringing them out everywhere.

You may get slightly sharper nightshots with a 190 vs the Sprint Pro under windy conditions, but other than that the bulk of it will discourage you, especially if you are not used to lugging heavy gear ard.

I'm 1.79m and I find that the 190Pro + 352 Ballhead is sufficient for all my needs.(digicam, Pro SLR + Pro lens...etc.)

I'd second fruitybix's recommendation of the Sprint Pro for now. You can easily buy another tripod when you do upgrade. (and keep the sprint pro for casual use)

Heh.... he is right.....
I was advised to get a light one too..... so I got a SLIK U9000.... its maximum height is 1.5m and it weighs only 1.59kg.....
Height is compromised.... but at least I dun have to carry a heavy tripod around to weigh me down..... and after going around for half a day.... I can tell U even 1.59kg is a heavy burden......

Slik Sprint Pro or Manfrotto 190ProB :confused:
I think I seen the Slik Print at Cathay Photo before, the legs look quite
thin, Is it stable ? :dunno:

I like the 190ProB for the fact that the centre column can be used both
horizontally and vertically ( Are there any other tripods with this feature ?) but it is 1.9kg so I don't really know how heavy it will be to carry it all around.

Eh... Manfrotto 190 weighs 1.9kg.... but thats without the head....
With the head.... can be about 3kg.....
I wanted to get that initially... but after holding it.... I gave up the idea..... too heavy.....

Status
Not open for further replies.