What's a good place for newbies to take photos?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ah Pao

Nov 7, 2003
Singapore
www.facebook.com
Need some help here, I'm sure you friendly people will give a lot of suggestions. :sweat:

I'm in a photo committee in a hostel/hall, and we're thinking of organising a photo shoot session for the members of the comm. My chairperson and myself have pretty run out of ideas :dunno: , and think you people may be of help.

Do suggest some good places for newbies with little to no experience in SLRs and knowledge beyond snapshots, and with the following considerations:

- Day shoot
- Hopefully cheap/free! :p
- Within the month of December, because beyond that school starts and the comm will be busy with covering sports events.

It can be upcoming events, no preference of indoor or outdoor. Really looking forward to all the suggestions! :sweatsm:

For those interested, we will be using mostly film SLRs and compact digicams.

P/S: If there are any interested CS members PM me and I'll see if we can accomdate you as well! ;)

Merlion Park, esplanade, chinatown, little india, sentosa, botanic garden, zoo, bird park..

above are some of the places that ppl like to go take pics.

Ah Pao said:
Need some help here, I'm sure you friendly people will give a lot of suggestions. :sweat:

I'm in a photo committee in a hostel/hall, and we're thinking of organising a photo shoot session for the members of the comm. My chairperson and myself have pretty run out of ideas :dunno: , and think you people may be of help.

Do suggest some good places for newbies with little to no experience in SLRs and knowledge beyond snapshots, and with the following considerations:

- Day shoot
- Hopefully cheap/free! :p
- Within the month of December, because beyond that school starts and the comm will be busy with covering sports events.

It can be upcoming events, no preference of indoor or outdoor. Really looking forward to all the suggestions! :sweatsm:

For those interested, we will be using mostly film SLRs and compact digicams.

P/S: If there are any interested CS members PM me and I'll see if we can accomdate you as well! ;)

IMHO, prehaps first we need to look into wat this photoshoot aims to archieve?
1. an introduction to basic photography?
2. a gathering in general to bond the commitee?
3. a crash course to prep the com for certain events(since you mention 'covering sports event')

if it a basic one, the city area might give a most verstaile range, from cityscrape, to protrats, to busy poeple going to work, plus acessiblilty to sheter in case it rains these day.
if it a gathering to bond poeple, prehaps fun should be an important element. like sentosa, couple with some games etc.
and if for a specfic event, maybe your photo shoot target will be more specific =p

i hope i get your intention correct.
cheers =p

IMHO, try out a nature shoot first. it'd be easier and less daunting on newbies as most subjects don't glare back or scold you when you point a camera at them. ;)

other advantages:

- most of the subjects pretty much stand still so one can take the time to compose and shoot.
- can cover a wide range from wide angle scenery to general portraiture to close up photography.
- most places to find nature are free access.
- you can avoid the crowds of events

lots of places one can go, Bot Garden, Sentosa, Labrador Park, Bukit Timah nature trail, etc. learn the basics of composition and exposure, get to know your gear, walk around and shoot.

Botanical Gardens!!

You can spend a whole day shooting almost anything and no one gives a damn. ;)

Thanks for the suggestions so far! They're great, so keep them coming!

In response to Jus_a_Nick's post, the purpose of this photo shoot is mostly to get the members familarised with the cameras and to go beyond P&S photography. Of course, the secondary objective is to bond the committee together and have a sharing session among the members.

In fact, because the hall's activities are so varied, we may be called upon to cover not just sports events but also perhaps stage photography (hall play/musicial), DnD, concerts, etc.

For colours , you may try out the Millenia Walk buildings area

Ah Pao said:
Thanks for the suggestions so far! They're great, so keep them coming!

In response to Jus_a_Nick's post, the purpose of this photo shoot is mostly to get the members familarised with the cameras and to go beyond P&S photography. Of course, the secondary objective is to bond the committee together and have a sharing session among the members.

In fact, because the hall's activities are so varied, we may be called upon to cover not just sports events but also perhaps stage photography (hall play/musicial), DnD, concerts, etc.

=p, if it jus a "technical familisation course", guess most of the places we have suggested should work out fine. though, of course stage play is another cat altogether, but well, things jus gotta be taken 1 step at a time=p

jia you,happy shooting n have a nice fun out together =p

From the info given, I have some strange observations.

Since you are a "photo club committee" I would expect that you have some fair bit of experience. Otherwise you shouldn't be the club committee. You would be the newbies. But the statement that you all need to get familiar with what I consider "basic" camera techniques seem to suggest that you are mostly newbies. ... interesting.

If you don't have much experience, I wonder why the other event people would entrust you with taking pictures of their events. If you are newbies, then the probability of not getting many good shots is very high. Would they want that outcome? .... interesting.

You also mentioned that you "had run out of ideas" for locations. This imply that you had many sessions and went to many places and thus have run out of ideas. But from your response to some suggested locations it looks like you have not considered them before. .... interesting.

Have a meeting point at King Albert Park and do a hike along the railway behind it. Lotsa of photo opportunities there.

Have fun!

MAybe you can contact your fellow sch's photo soc or club?

fred2 said:
From the info given, I have some strange observations.

Since you are a "photo club committee" I would expect that you have some fair bit of experience. Otherwise you shouldn't be the club committee. You would be the newbies. But the statement that you all need to get familiar with what I consider "basic" camera techniques seem to suggest that you are mostly newbies. ... interesting.

This is a hall committee, meaning there are people leaving and people joining every year. The turnover rate, unfortunately, is pretty high, so we get a fair share of members that have little experience beyond P&S every year. Photo outing shoots are an annual event beyond the routine event coverage.

Personally I have stayed on in the committee for the past 3 years and hence do have a little bit more experience compared to those new to the committee, if you need to know.

If you don't have much experience, I wonder why the other event people would entrust you with taking pictures of their events. If you are newbies, then the probability of not getting many good shots is very high. Would they want that outcome? .... interesting.

I'm not pretty sure why you are interested in how our system works, but from your comments you seem to have that interest.

New members are usually paired with senior members in covering an event. This is to achieve a two-fold purpose: to cover the event with quality pictures and to give the new members experience through guidance from the senior member. This works on the principle of "learning by doing" which is a far more effective teaching tool to help them build up self-confidence and skill sets.

Besides, being a self-sufficient student community, is it not practical to hire freelance or professional photographers to cover the events. Friends helping friends is the way to go.

You also mentioned that you "had run out of ideas" for locations. This imply that you had many sessions and went to many places and thus have run out of ideas. But from your response to some suggested locations it looks like you have not considered them before. .... interesting.

I apologise if my appeal has led you to think that the comm has not thought of the above places for holding the photo sessions. Nevertheless, I am surprised to note your response of "interest" that, well, led me to think, "what's wrong with asking for help?" ClubSNAP, being an sharing community, means that there are often ideas that only two heads may not have. Singapore is only so big, true, but I'm sure there are hidden corners here and there that not many people will know of but is photo-worthy.

And in the end, this particular post being so OT, I would really hope if we can stick to the original topic to make this thread easier to read. Hopefully other people can benefit from the suggestions made by the other helpful CSers here. ;)

Ah Pao said:
I apologise if my appeal has led you to think that the comm has not thought of the above places for holding the photo sessions. Nevertheless, I am surprised to note your response of "interest" that, well, led me to think, "what's wrong with asking for help?" ClubSNAP, being an sharing community, means that there are often ideas that only two heads may not have. Singapore is only so big, true, but I'm sure there are hidden corners here and there that not many people will know of but is photo-worthy.

And in the end, this particular post being so OT, I would really hope if we can stick to the original topic to make this thread easier to read. Hopefully other people can benefit from the suggestions made by the other helpful CSers here. ;)

I am sorry if I sounded condescending, but I just felt the situation is somewhat unusual. Of course there is nothing wrong in coming to clubsnap for help. You are as welcome as anybody to share and get help from all in this community.
Cheers

Train yourself to see things in different perspectives , even with the most banal objects. Develop a keen sense; everywhere has it opportunities, even outside your doorstep.

if you have a theme in mind, it would really benefit us. for one, i'm always trying to fill my weekends with sporting events... ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.