what's a good manual slr to get & where?

Status
Not open for further replies.

raine

Jul 10, 2004
Hey guys, i need some help here. My SLR died on me just a few days ago. *sigh* just when i needed it most. It was a Praktica M105, and its really old. But i got it second hand like last year!The mirror is just jammed up and there's some problems with the spooling i think,cause the negative frames are sort of linked together and not spaced out with the typical line in between them.

But anyways, i was then thinking of either repairing it or getting a new camera. However, i kinda like the manual SLRs, whereby the settings are like at your finger tips rather than the auto-focus,electronic kind, whereby you'll actually have to play around with the dials on top. So what would be a good manual slr to get? Am i the only dinosaur who's actually using a manual slr like that! :O Cause i realize that most of my friends have those digital ones!

Also, roughly how much would i have to pay for it? I don't mind getting anything 2nd hand,but i am on a rather tight budget. Yeap, so any tips? Thanks! :D

Nono, quite a few of these dinosaurs here.. hehe

try the camera workshop, friendly pple, mabbe they can help with ur praktica m105 or recommend u another. :)

there are manual cameras lovers over here, i missed my manual camera too terriblely! will get once more when i have the BUYBUYBUY mode. :thumbsup:

raine said:
Also, roughly how much would i have to pay for it? I don't mind getting anything 2nd hand,but i am on a rather tight budget. Yeap, so any tips? Thanks! :D

I have not been buying SLR for a while, but think it is a buyers market now that the digital craze is going on! There are many shops in the Peninsula area. Check them out. But do not discount the Minoltas. They are wonderful cameras that are undervalued. If you can find one of the old Olympus OM - they are light/small and fabulous.

I would suggest Prime and Camera workshop because if the camera get into trouble, at least they can do some repair for you.

nikon fm3a is still being sold. price around $900. saw 1 piece at ms the other day.

I would not suggest you to buy any Minolta, Canon or Olympus manual SLR not that they are lousy but it is becoz they don't produce manual cameras and lens any more. You might have problem to get the camera serviced or even to find lenses for it.
Buy a 2nd hand Nikon FM2 as they are the only handful of manufactuer that still produce manual body and lenses.
Or if you really like manual camera so much and got the cash to spare in the future, get yourself the utimate manual camera the Leica M-system!!! ;)

Thanks so much for the advice! I've actually seen the OM2 before and i've talked to the owner who owns it! I wish i could have it but XXX Boy is right! Because the lense is a 35mm,so its super small and they don't sell the mercury batteries anymore! But the camera is so small and compact and so sleek! Wasted man.. *sigh* Anyways, yeah, i guess i will be going down to camera workshop to talk to the nice people there about my woes.. They won't try to like rip me off or anything like that right?

Eh i think if i get a leica, i won't have a house to stay in already man! :O

Before trying to afford a Leica, this one may be another good try! :D

R2_B10.jpg

I like the mechanical cameras too!
Bought a new-old-stock Konica TC-X camera last month for $150. Only problem is there are no additional lens available for it now. So I bought it as a kinda fixed-lens-slr. LOL... I do have a friend with 3 Olympus OM-1's, Nikon FM and several Leica's Rangefinders and mechainal SLR's. Guess playing around with his camera's instilled the interest in mechanical camera's in me... =P

can try camera hospital at sunshine plaza. the owner steven is friendly and helpful. i sold my old canon ae 1 there for ard 100+ last year. in tip top condition. maybe still there=). am really tempted to buy it back.

WHOA! the pentax looks like a tank man! Just like my old camera!! :) And i've never heard of BESSA R2 before! Is it in the same range as a leica?? There's just this charm that a mechanical camera has huh.. *sigh* why did my baby have to die on me.. thanks so much for the info guys. :D i really appreciate the help. And if you do have any more recommendations, please feel free.

dehuis- where exactly is sunshine plaza? sounds really familiar..

raine said:
...There's just this charm that a mechanical camera has huh..

it's the different little knobs, the film advance lever, the mirror slap, the loud ka-chak shutter curtain and the whole solid metal body feel :D :lovegrin:

Firefox said:
I like the mechanical cameras too!
Bought a new-old-stock Konica TC-X camera last month for $150. Only problem is there are no additional lens available for it now. So I bought it as a kinda fixed-lens-slr. LOL... I do have a friend with 3 Olympus OM-1's, Nikon FM and several Leica's Rangefinders and mechainal SLR's. Guess playing around with his camera's instilled the interest in mechanical camera's in me... =P

wah...i have a tc-x too. just sent to p&g for cleaning. should be getting it back next week. yeah can't find lenses. looking for a nice bright 50mm for it.

:p i'm using ae1 as well. :lol:

really got quite alot of "dinos" left. :p

if budget is tight, do try looking for minolta x700mps as well. :)
wonderful camera.

raine said:
WHOA! the pentax looks like a tank man! Just like my old camera!! :) And i've never heard of BESSA R2 before! Is it in the same range as a leica?? There's just this charm that a mechanical camera has huh.. *sigh* why did my baby have to die on me.. thanks so much for the info guys. :D i really appreciate the help. And if you do have any more recommendations, please feel free.

dehuis- where exactly is sunshine plaza? sounds really familiar..

Yea. very well built. I got another Pentax MX send for CLA, it's smaller and the shutter is more refine but unlike the KX it's not casted from a whole piece of iron therefore lighter and the small size sits in hands better. But it's less well built then the KX. I also prefer the KX matching needle system. Like to make picture with MX and the built and handling of KX. So will use them alternately.

dehuis said:
can try camera hospital at sunshine plaza. the owner steven is friendly and helpful. i sold my old canon ae 1 there for ard 100+ last year. in tip top condition. maybe still there=). am really tempted to buy it back.

how do i get there? i'm also looking for an old EOS body. hope they have good selection there...

Hello,

For information on good manual equipment visit the below link. You can even get to know its features before you decide. All wonderful stuff. Personally I prefer Nikon just for lens compatibility and wide choice of lenses.

http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/fototech/whichsystem/whatsystem.htm

Once you decide you can search the buy sell forum here too.
Good luck with your purchase
SS

madmacs said:
wah...i have a tc-x too. just sent to p&g for cleaning. should be getting it back next week. yeah can't find lenses. looking for a nice bright 50mm for it.

I need to send my lens in for cleaning too. It's got a speck of fungus on it.
Isn't the default f1.8/ 50mm bright enough?

Status
Not open for further replies.