What's a good loupe to get?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by rochkoh
Those i wanna get cost more than $100.

http://www.schneideroptics.com/loupes/pdf/loupe_brochure.pdf

toss ups between the Kenko, Peak, Schneider, Rodenstock, Nikon and Canon.. errghh

any suggestions? will be mainly using it for slides.

rOCh

Get either a Schneider 4x or Rodenstock 4x. I think the new Schneiders are not available at Cathay yet as of 1 month ago.

Regards
CK

ahh.. allow me to rephrase my question.

What's a good CHEAP loupe to get? :)

Just bought a Hakuba 5700 Light Viewer for $90 at CP. Feeling broke now.

But saw the Rodenstock 4x that Shaddus brought along during the last SEED meeting. It's a really good. Clear and sharp. But out of my budget for now.

ahh.. allow me to rephrase my question.

What's a good CHEAP loupe to get? :)

Just bought a Hakuba 5700 Light Viewer for $90 at CP. Feeling broke now.

But saw the Rodenstock 4x that Shaddus brought along during the last SEED meeting. It's a really good. Clear and sharp. But out of my budget for now.

Peak 8x. $55. That's the one I am using, brought it along to the SEED too, think you might have seen it.

Regards
CK

As Alan Greenspun of photo.net says, once you see slides through a Schneider Loupe you'll never want to shoot prints again ;)

The thing about a Loupe is it doesn't break down, really hard to scratch it, so it'll last for a long, long, long time.

Originally posted by erwinx
As Alan Greenspun of photo.net says, once you see slides through a Schneider Loupe you'll never want to shoot prints again ;)

The thing about a Loupe is it doesn't break down, really hard to scratch it, so it'll last for a long, long, long time.

No, he said you'll quit your day job. :p

Regards
CK

Yeah but Schneider Loupes are >$200. Ouch.

Any chance of getting a second hand Schneider Loupe around? Checked out ebay but most won't ship outside the US.

Quiting is easier said than done. Either your job's your interest or you keep your job to support your interests.. think i fall into the later category. :)

Guys, don't get mixed up with the the Fed chairman, it's Phillip Greenspun. :p

yeah, must've been half awake :)

Originally posted by YSLee
Guys, don't get mixed up with the the Fed chairman, it's Phillip Greenspun. :p

Originally posted by megaweb
BTW ,

rochkoh <---

do you enjoy viewing slides now ?

Oh yeah baby yeah!! real eye opener. :eek:

Until i got me Lightbox viewer during SEED, was using my monitor to view 'em slides. The Lightbox really made a huge difference. Think those slides will appear better with a good loupe! hahaa..

Love the semi '3-d effect' on those that have DOV. And not to mention the sharpness (think this also depends on skill of ze photographer), brightness and color variety.

Only problem being the medium is a little bit selfish. Sharing photos and redevloping them are cheaper and easier. esp. for old aunties and uncles overseas (read Malaysia).

Maybe we should have a poll and a mini-debate between the prodslides and the profilms. :)

and err.. btw, it's Alan Greenspan. Don't think he has an interest in photography though.. but for those of you who remember ex-Japanese prime minister Nakasone, he's an avid Nikon user. ;)

thanks to those who provided me with slide tips during SEED!

Yeah but Schneider Loupes are >$200. Ouch.

Any chance of getting a second hand Schneider Loupe around? Checked out ebay but most won't ship outside the US.

Quiting is easier said than done. Either your job's your interest or you keep your job to support your interests.. think i fall into the later category. :)

Schneiders are supposedly the best. Have not looked through one yet (hopefully not, lest I get hooked). :p I think the Rodenstock 4x Aspheric should be a good enough substitute.

Regards
CK

Status
Not open for further replies.