What's a good bag?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Klose

Feb 15, 2005
Any good bags(shoulder/backpacks) to recommend? My Lowepro Nova 1 AW is too small to contain my EOS 300 + 28-210 + 50 + 70-300. Impossible to squeeze all in :bsmilie:

There are going to be a huge range of options for you to choose from. Best thing would be to bring all of your gear down to CP or another shop with a good selection, and try loading up a few bags.

For me I am a fan of shoulder bags. I like being able to get into my stuff quickly, without having to take off a backpack. Of course the backpack is much better if you plan on doing some trekking.

With your setup, I would look at the Lowepro Stealth Reporter series. I think there is everything from a 100AW up to a 650AW. I use the 650AW for all my gear and laptop. (20D, grip, 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f/2.8L, 50mm f/1.5, 580EX, 15.4 ws laptop, 60gb back-up drive, extra batts, memory, yadda yadda...)

Good luck. :thumbsup:

I think that I may be speaking for many other CS'rs here when I say that sometimes the bag is the most difficult and personal piece of equipment in your camera/gear outfit. :sweat:

singapurasteve said:
There are going to be a huge range of options for you to choose from. Best thing would be to bring all of your gear down to CP or another shop with a good selection, and try loading up a few bags.

For me I am a fan of shoulder bags. I like being able to get into my stuff quickly, without having to take off a backpack. Of course the backpack is much better if you plan on doing some trekking.

With your setup, I would look at the Lowepro Stealth Reporter series. I think there is everything from a 100AW up to a 650AW. I use the 650AW for all my gear and laptop. (20D, grip, 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f/2.8L, 50mm f/1.5, 580EX, 15.4 ws laptop, 60gb back-up drive, extra batts, memory, yadda yadda...)

Good luck. :thumbsup:

I think that I may be speaking for many other CS'rs here when I say that sometimes the bag is the most difficult and personal piece of equipment in your camera/gear outfit. :sweat:

that's an overkill :bsmilie: I prefer to do my editting at home aircon comfy chair moreover my laptop hdd's fried :bsmilie:

roughly how much is the 100AW and 200AW? If anyone knows do tell me :D

i think stealth reporter 200 is good enough for you.
i put my D70 + 50 + 17-80 +28-105 + 70-300 + blower + flash + filter into it.

besh said:
i think stealth reporter 200 is good enough for you.
i put my D70 + 50 + 17-80 +28-105 + 70-300 + blower + flash + filter into it.

I thought so too :) enough space for a nalgene 1l bottle too? :sticktong

Klose said:
that's an overkill :bsmilie: I prefer to do my editting at home aircon comfy chair moreover my laptop hdd's fried :bsmilie:

roughly how much is the 100AW and 200AW? If anyone knows do tell me :D

Oh, I see how that came across. I don't actually edit on the go. When I have a job that requires me to give a presentation I bring the 650 with the laptop in it. I also 650 for traveling. Otherwise, yes, I much prefer editing in the comfort of the aircon at home. :bsmilie:

Yes, go for the 200. :thumbsup:

I also carry this bag around.
Tamrac Pro 8

Currently using Lowepro 400AW, need another smaller ones when bringing less equipment out.

Besh, the 200AW can fit so many stuffs inside? Any pic to show how's the inserts are layout, or how the things are stacked?

singapurasteve said:
Oh, I see how that came across. I don't actually edit on the go. When I have a job that requires me to give a presentation I bring the 650 with the laptop in it. I also 650 for traveling. Otherwise, yes, I much prefer editing in the comfort of the aircon at home. :bsmilie:

Yes, go for the 200. :thumbsup:

I also carry this bag around.
Tamrac Pro 8

It's a pity deuter doesnt have dedicated camera bags..

Juz for reference:

I divide my 200AW into 5 compartments- the largest compartment in the center (for cam body) while the other 4 for lenses and/or flash. I can stack shorter manual lenses in one lens compartment or just put the rubber blower with a short lens. If you forsee bringing out another lens or two occassionally, just buy an add-on module and secure it to the side of the bag.

As for water bottle... U can also buy an add-on pouch as a side attachment. I wouldn't put any inside together with the cam.

In gist, 200AW should fulfill your needs at the moment. However, do take note that backpacks distributes the load more or less evenly across both shoulders though it does not have the convenience of a sling when you want to change equipment on the go.

Hope this helps and happy shooting. =)

oh yes... i bought mine brand new at around S$130+ 2 yrs ago. I think you should be able to get it at a lower price than this brand new. 2nd hand ones should cost around S$80.

Klose said:
It's a pity deuter doesnt have dedicated camera bags..

While on working trips overseas, I usually ripped out the inserts of the Tenba P839 bag and put them inside my "smelly" deuter giga backpack to hold the lenses and flash while the body is kept inside a Lowepro S&F 50 pouch. It works for me. :)

It is a good idea to bring down all your stuff to see what fits and feel the weight.

A heavy shoulder bag is no joke when walking around whole day. :sweat:
But its useful for street shoots......

hehehe ... me think that better to get a bigger bag so that in time to some, got space for more lens ...

Am using a nature trekker ... and I got a deuter bag with customised (read DIY) inserts for storing lens ... can see pics on my CS gallery ...

Klose said:
I thought so too :) enough space for a nalgene 1l bottle too? :sticktong

MS Color quoted around $90 for the Stealth Reporter 200AW & $115 for
the 300AW few weeks ago.
CP quoted $125 for the 300AW & $100 for 200AW, I bought the 300AW from
K-13 for $115 after telling MS selling it for $115. :cool:
Different between the 2 models is that interior lenght of 200AW is 23.5cm
and 300AW is 27.5cm, rest are same.
You can squeeze in the Nalgene 1L bottle if your stuffs never take all the
6 sections inside the bag, but if the bottle leak then.... :sweat:
Or can get the Lowepro SlipLock Bottle pouch for around $9 at CP, just nice
for the 1L bottle to be placed outside the bag as the bag got loop for sliplock. ;)

paradigm said:
hehehe ... me think that better to get a bigger bag so that in time to some, got space for more lens ...

Am using a nature trekker ... and I got a deuter bag with customised (read DIY) inserts for storing lens ... can see pics on my CS gallery ...

Yes, better to get a bigger bag for future expansion or you will ended buying
and selling bags.. ;)

this is just about the only time i feel like my female friends in declaring that one bag is never enough. you need a bag for every different occassion.

the bag i most often use now is the tamrac expedition 7. its a medium sized backpack that carries all the gear i would need but the main reason why i chose this bag is that i was looking for something that would hold my tripod. i dont like carrying the tripod in my hands when im hiking.

of coz, if the outdoor thing isnt for you, a backpack is probably not as effective. someone mentioned domke, they make really nice bags, not as much padding as others, but very compact and super fast.

i guess the main thing is not how much equipment you want to carry. the first thing to decide is how you will be using the bag and what you want it to do.

Thanks for the tips guys :D will stop by mscolour tmr if i can or else on friday to get the 200AW :D already called them up and they have stock :D

i think a fully loaded 200/300AW is probably the max weight for shoulder carry bags past which my shoulder will give way. it can carry an slr with at least 3 lenses of medium zoom variety (not enough space to carry a 80-200 2.8 lens though).

most people i know end up with at least 3 bags though, dunno why. i have a topload style one for travelling, a stealth reporter and also a backpack for heavy stuff :)

Status
Not open for further replies.