What you think of Newbies and amateurs adding Photography watermarks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

calvinklein

Jan 25, 2009
What you think of Newbies and amateurs adding Photography watermarks on their pictures?
Having those like - (Kelvin Tong Photography, Sei Beng Song Photography ETC) on their photos when they r not even professionals photographer and yet wanna-be or in another words, self pro-claimed.

Personally, I don't find it anything wrong for doing that, anybody can add anything they fancy on their photos, just let the photos speak for the photographers.

speaking from a professional photographer for more than two decades if ones don't know about me.

I think that's fine. It's a personal preference to watermark his/ her own picture or not. After all,
we all personalize our belongings all the time right? =)

As long as they don't watermark other people's pictures as their own... haha =)

What you think of Newbies and amateurs adding Photography watermarks on their pictures?
Having those like - (Kelvin Tong Photography, Sei Beng Song Photography ETC) on their photos when they r not even professionals photographer and yet wanna-be or in another words, self pro-claimed.
I am not sure I understand the concern. Even primary school kids are taught to sign off on their calligraphy. A watermark/ signature is a statement by the artist that they are proud enough of their work to put their name on it. It has nothing to do with pro/amateur status. For example, a professional can sell an image with all rights and thus does not even hold the copyright anymore, hence no watermark or even signature.

my humble 2 cents
Squall

Nothing wrong with it, it's up to them to do what they want with the photos.

I'm sure a lot of people start off very enthusiastic and do it, cause it feels nice to "stamp" your work.

I don't see anything wrong..
They just want to tag their photos mah..

Are you a professional? If not..
Why are you holding a dSLR? Wanna-be?? Self-Proclaimed professional?
same thing..

;)

Err.... is there anything wrong about Newbies or Amateurs photographer trying to protect their own works ?? :think:

Some of my photos might by crappy...... but it is MY Crappy Photo never the less..... :bsmilie:

Best is to GAFFER all the photos. :devil:

Dude, what's wrong with you sia hahahaha.... OK wat. It's their photos and they have full rights. What does watermark mean to you?

Just not your day eh?

Last edited:
Err.... is there anything wrong about Newbies or Amateurs photographer trying to protect their own works ?? :think:

Some of my photos might by crappy...... but it is MY Crappy Photo never the less..... :bsmilie:

yea, well said :)

Personally, i don't. I think it spoils my picture. But still, anyone has the right to watermark his shots :thumbsup:

this is a very shallow comment - putting a watermark on a photo does not mean the person is claiming to be a pro. :nono:

Agreed with this..

As long as the watermark is discrete and placed nicely, it's quite ok.

Came across some watermarks is so big and ugly that it puts the viewer off.. and kinda belittle the subject as "un-important" becoz it is being obscured by "the mark".

In fact, most pros don't splash an ugly elephant sized watermark across the subject I guess..

Agreed with this..

As long as the watermark is discrete and placed nicely, it's quite ok.

Came across some watermarks is so big and ugly that it puts the viewer off.. and kinda belittle the subject as "un-important" becoz it is being obscured by "the mark".

In fact, most pros don't splash an ugly elephant sized watermark across the subject I guess..
really? you ain't see things like this before. :bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

taken from Whats up with . . .

as a craftsman, or an artist, usually don't tell people what kind of tools or paint brushes they use. and also don't tell people how they create their works or arts,

To me, cameras, lenses, all are tools too, so I don't list what camera or lenses and the setting I use.

And long gone are the days I use borders on my images, I would like people to focus just on the image and the creator, nothing more, nothing less...................

.................. just the photo and the photographer.

watermarks.jpg

.......... yet wanna-be or in another words, self pro-claimed.

Wahh ........ you also self-proclaimed what .............. Calvin Klein ....... :bigeyes::bsmilie:

I too agree that everyone has his/her own right to watermark or tag their pictures as they see fit. Some do it to protect their work from being "stolen" and passed off as someone else's work (quite common apparently) while some do it because they are simple proud to call that picture their own.

But I think most replies thus far have been misunderstanding the TS. I think he point is that noobs and amateurs that do not own/have their own photographic studios simple put "XXX PHOTOGRAPHY" to make it sound like they have a studio or have a company or they are "pro". If they just put "shot by XXX" I think the TS wouldn't be so bothered...

Thats my interpretation of the topic lah. Maybe TS can make it clearer?

So when do you think you have the rights to watermark your pics???And if pros do it,I dont see any wedding photos with big watermarks......dude its a free world

so when can we have the right to put watermark?nobody says they are pro by putting it on? So if i have a FF and Ls means i also wanne be pro when i know i'm nothing like near? Can i not buy FF and Ls for the sake of liking them and similarly put a watermark on my photo? i don't think i'm a wanna-be cause i never intended it to make money from it and neither do i self proclaim since i know i am not...

those who does that is their problem.....if no skills clients sure can tell...if they can't then too bad

opps...i only ask of opinion nia. response like so intriguing. :dunno:

Status
Not open for further replies.