What you look for in a model

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattlock

Feb 28, 2004
www.superhyperreal.com
been thinking about this for awhile, was looking out for people for a shoot and trying to figure out what I was looking for, considering what I looked for in a model
Personally for me I have a few categories of looks -pretty -aesthetically beautiful -unique and full of character -cool and almost characterless

I realised there are alot of "pretty" singaporean girls around. pretty almost to a point of generic, you know, rebonded hair, sometimes tinged bronze, nice small asian face, levis jeans and spagetti strap top, as much as I like looking at them I can't imagine photographing them...

Then there are some people with really alot of character and I love taking photos of them for portraits

But I realised that when taking fashion photos I realise that a lot of professional models have this really cool and almost alienated look which works great, somehow I feel like it is aesthetically attractive enough to draw you in but at the same time detached enough to draw your focus away from the model alone to other parts of the picture
the model becomes almost like a sculpture, I might say

Well I just thought I'd like to hear what other people look for in models when shooting, I was wondering if I'm just weird

you've gotta compare apples to apples... it ain't quite fair to compare professional models to ppl on the streets. that is why they are paid to do what they do. besides that u are viewing street ppl in a so called "natural state", models are given hair styling, makeup etc etc, they have an entire team of ppl behind them, the context that you compare them must be given equal grounding as well.

lastly, to really be able to achieve a certain look and feel is sometime a real test of the photographer's skill in directing as well

as to your query, i am not quite sure if you are refering to portraitures or glamour photography, as both are in a way worlds apart, in the former any one would do, my job is to bring out the character of my sitter, to reveal to my viewers a certain aspect of him/her, in the latter i am to create a certain image/ feel that has been conceived, either by me or collectively with the sitter

to tell you the truth I was abit confused last morning when I was typing this out!
But with regards to fashion photos I'd like to hear what other fashion shooters look for in a model
(not tits and ass glamour FHM style photos hor)

do you think there's some sort of special thing that makes the difference between a pretty girl and a certain fashion look?
I remember helping with the new paper new face 2 years ago and out of all the contestants there was only one who had this special aura, I think she got 2nd place, but I wouldn't say she was very beautiful
out of all the models on your gallery page I think the first model in the first picture has something special
Leen also has something
I feel like I'm trying to describe air
haha

Yes. pretty model and fashion model are not the same. :)
There has been some pro studies on how to define "pretty", or what kind of faces ppl will like or will associate with.

Astin said:
There has been some pro studies on how to define "pretty", or what kind of faces ppl will like or will associate with.

Yup, see that on discover channel too. Symmetry and that triangle thinghy. Cosmetic surgeons take advantage of this too.

2100 said:
Yup, see that on discover channel too. Symmetry and that triangle thinghy. Cosmetic surgeons take advantage of this too.
For those who are interested, (and wondered what is symmetry and triangle thingy), you can check out this website. (not related to Discover channel program but the theory is interesting.)
http://www.beautyanalysis.com/index2_mba.htm

haha streetshooter that's really funny...
it's pretty difficult to change the features of a face with photoshop though, unless you do a Francis Bacon

thanks for the link Astin!that website is almost cult-like scary but highly informative

Astin said:

Fashion model - tall with a good figure to carry the fashion, but just a plain pleasant face, otherwise you draw attention to the face and not what you want to sell - fashion.

Photo model - big eyes and well proportioned, and some expression and rapport with the photographer, or to be able to express certain emotion, or rather to convey certain emotion.

Gong Li is a fantastic face to have, and her face is lasting, and she's been around for at least 10 years and still fresh and sought after. Many other would have faded away and forgotten long ago. And our Zoe Tay too.

Status
Not open for further replies.