What wrong with my Photo?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kimlee

Jan 23, 2005
Lavender
Hi to all,

Recently i submitted a photo for the Photoi contest. But it was not shortlisted. :embrass:

When browsing through the shortlisted one, i came across a photo which has similar ideas as mine.

Need some comments on my photo so that i can improve on my skill. Thank you in advance. :bsmilie:

My Photo:

2403IMG_0725_UP-med.JPG

The one got shortlisted: No offence to the owner of this photo. Need an example. :)

http://www.photoi.org/gallery/showphotovote.php?photo=8967&contest=1

What is the theme?
You should not have posted the other photo, maybe use a link or at least give the photog credit.

ortega said:
What is the theme?
You should not have posted the other photo, maybe use a link or at least give the photog credit.

Ops, The changes has been made to use a link. :thumbsup: Thanks.

The themes is "1st January 2005!".

ayaaa, photo contests sooo depend on the mood of the judges ....
my free thoughts as an accomplished street philosopher:
i think if it was a bit more contrasty, make the whites really standout, and the blacks really dark.
the glare on the top part of the watch really distracts from the POI/theme.

just mho.... no offense intended...

Haha... Kimlee, sometimes photos are just like a painting, it depends on the judges' mood at the time of seeing ur "painting". ;)

And frankly speaking, I feel that ur pic is the better one of the 2.
Ur subject fully fills the frame and black/white exudes a very classy feeling to the watch as well, like those in watch advertisements. NICE!!!

For the pic that "win" however, just feel that framing is not tight enough.
And a minor detail that I dislike is that the time shown on the watch is abit late after midnite, so I prefer the time shown on ur watch as well. hehe...

Anyway, I'm just a budding photographer, maybe the experienced ones can enlighten u.

preference of brand of watch?
the effort to create a creative background?
your watch have a scratch?
others?

there is many factors and maybe very subjective to different judges, your photo maybe the best to 1 judge & not to the rest, so as long as you have tried your best, its all that matters.

btw great photo there...

Kimlee said:
Hi to all,

Recently i submitted a photo for the Photoi contest. But it was not shortlisted. :embrass:

When browsing through the shortlisted one, i came across a photo which has similar ideas as mine.

Need some comments on my photo so that i can improve on my skill. Thank you in advance. :bsmilie:

My Photo:

The one got shortlisted: No offence to the owner of this photo. Need an example. :)

Personal view, don't take it to heart .....

Some side lighting will make it look better. To much reflection. Instead of gradually shifting from bright area to darkness, yours is quite abrupt. I think the theme will look even better in ambience tungsten lighting instead.

But seriously, I think your picture looks more appealing then the other pic, if the theme are the same.

IMHO I prefer your composition to the other.
But as DCA mentioned your watch has a scratch
and the highlight is too distracting. And the face could do with a little more light.

Cheers and try again.

I am a novice, and cannot judge which is better with technical/artistic argument. But if I am forced to just pick one only - I would have pick yours - really!

I too have had my gripes with Photoi judging but one must remember that it is subjective and sometimes judges will view things differently.

As for your image, it's very good. I haven't seen the other so I cannot make a comparison.

However, given the theme, I would say that the '1' is difficult to read on your picture given the scratch and the highlight.

Don't give up on the competitions!

blurblock said:
Personal view, don't take it to heart .....

Some side lighting will make it look better. To much reflection. Instead of gradually shifting from bright area to darkness, yours is quite abrupt. I think the theme will look even better in ambience tungsten lighting instead.

But seriously, I think your picture looks more appealing then the other pic, if the theme are the same.

Thanks for the comments Blurblock, :)

Its quite hard for me to make a gradual shifting of light as this shot is taken in my room (in darkness) using a touchlight to mimic some effect. :embrass:

Kimlee said:
Thanks for the comments Blurblock, :)

Its quite hard for me to make a gradual shifting of light as this shot is taken in my room (in darkness) using a touchlight to mimic some effect. :embrass:

shucks... i guessed it was a flash...

if using a torch (not touch), you can use a piece of paper in between to diffuse the light. it will look alot better. to play with the variance of light, just shift the paper or the torch

Del_CtrlnoAlt said:
shucks... i guessed it was a flash...

if using a torch (not touch), you can use a piece of paper in between to diffuse the light. it will look alot better. to play with the variance of light, just shift the paper or the torch

haha....spelling mistake ;p , will try to use a piece of paper next time. Thanks.

ortega said:
or use bounce flash for the main light and ambient light (torch) for highlight.
Slow sync Flash.

That require me to get a DSLR for using bounce flash and slow sync. :think:

I only have an A75... :sweat:

Thanks...

There's no answer to your question pal.

If you notice, a lot of the shortlisted entries also makes you wonder why they are in out of the so many thousands. And some, really are not that great photos.

So, you can take that as a consolation that the judging is really a bit unique. Dun take it to heart. Just shoot what you like and if you think your photo is great, then it's great!

:thumbsup:

I also prefer your photo to the other one as well. But too bad I am not the judge.

Relax pal......It just a contest. I believe the contest aim is to encourage more ppl to shoot and fall in love with photography. And i believe the judges have their reasons why they chose the others over yours.

Dun take it too hard, just try again next time. U will never knw what going to happen.

*If i have taken it so hard in contest, i have die so many time already.

And dun shoot for the sake of shooting.

Kimlee said:
That require me to get a DSLR for using bounce flash and slow sync. :think:

I only have an A75... :sweat:

Thanks...

Not really, I have seen some very creative CSers that does wonders with their compacts, try sticking a mirror like card in front of your built-in flash to bounce the flash up. Or place some tissue paper in front of your flash to diffuse the light. Give it a try, no harm done.

Tupi Guy said:
Relax pal......It just a contest. I believe the contest aim is to encourage more ppl to shoot and fall in love with photography. And i believe the judges have their reasons why they chose the others over yours.

Dun take it too hard, just try again next time. U will never knw what going to happen.

*If i have taken it so hard in contest, i have die so many time already.

And dun shoot for the sake of shooting.

Haha...., Thanks for the counseling. :bsmilie:

Just want to know if there is anything to improve my shot, never really take it to the :heart: ..haha... Thanks..

try bracketing your exposures. you're losing some shadow detail that may or may not contribute to the image, especially in the lower right and upper left corners. also, the highlight (as said before) is very harsh. also mentioned above is that your "1" is hard to see. I didn't even notice it at first glance.
it could also be that the photoi editors are looking for more colour? personally i feel that your image is the stronger of the two, imho.

Status
Not open for further replies.