What would you shoot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zhiliang

Dec 20, 2006
Serangoon
Hi,

Just wondering does any of you take pictures in your local neighbourhood? What would be the subjects or themes that i can look out for. I stay in Serangoon, and wanted to practice shooting, but do not want to go far after i come back from reservist. Went to Serangoon central at night with my tripod and camera but was basically at a loss.

What you want to capture is highly personal. For street or night photography you might wanna capture the mood or overall atmospehre. During the day you can try streen candids to try to tell a story about everyday life. Some like macro.. abstacts.. well for me i'd hunt for urban wildlife :D

You can try

- Abstracts and Still Life
anything appears nice and unique against the environment. e.g. lock, pipes, clothings, etc

- Landscape
Nice buildings or shops against nice sky

- Street and Candid
moment shots of people who do anything interesting. Apply to pets.

Shoot the staircase, corridor, ornaments outside other people houses, fruit stall, bakery, 7-11.
U'll b surprise with the results when u got the mood and composition right.
Enjoy! ;)

Thank you so much for the pointers.... I am going to give them all a try... :D

Hi,

Just wondering does any of you take pictures in your local neighbourhood? What would be the subjects or themes that i can look out for. I stay in Serangoon, and wanted to practice shooting, but do not want to go far after i come back from reservist. Went to Serangoon central at night with my tripod and camera but was basically at a loss.

That's the problem, you went with a camera. My advise to those who doesn't know what to take is to visit the place without your camera for the first time. Learn to observe the environment and build up an idea or vision as you explore. Is there a story you can tell with your photos? Is there something interesting you want to show about this place? Once you have an idea, go back there with the camera. This time round, realise your vision with the camera. There really isn't any point asking people what you can shoot. It takes half the fun out of photography. If you see photography as a tool to realise your ideas and vision, you shouldn't be taking photos just for the heck of it.

just walk around and shoot lah..
check this out

not shot by me though.

Thanks for the link. Yup, everything that can be shot is around you... just gotta pay more attention on them ;) I have a busy schedule but try to make an effort to shoot during sat mornings in my neighborhood and church on sundays!

Status
Not open for further replies.