Not open for further replies.

Kho King

Jan 20, 2002
shashinki.com
hmm...I am in sad mode now...:cry:

just want to know what would you do:
1. Sell a DSLR to a CSer
2. Give 10 days money back guarantee period
3. Buyer tested on the spot and after a few days receive message from him saying that DSLR is working fine, but he said he will go travelling and will be busy not using the DSLR for a while till a month later
4. After 10 days, everything fine. Money back guarantee period ends.
5. after a month, buyer said DSLR fault. Sent to manufacturer for checking, CCD spoilt. Going to cost a bomb to fix it (same price as what I have sold)
6. Buyer wants refund/return the DSLR
:bheart:

The DSLR was perfectly fine when I sold it to the buyer, and I have no intention of selling a spoilt thing to anyone, that's why I give a 10 days money back guarantee period. :cry: Buyer said that he can only fully tested the DSLR a month later in a wedding...but the DSLR spoilt during the day...

what would you do if you were I? :bheart:

Yep, I have to agree with this, your 10 days gaurantee is good up to the time when the goods have been delivered.

One doesn't need an event to test a piece of equipment. It could have been the DSLR was spoilt right after the 10 days, you never know.

You're not liable for anything here KK.

Since u offered a 10-day money back guarantee, coupled with the fact that the buyer did test it on the spot, there's no case for him/her. The buyer has to accept that there is always a risk involved in buying a 2nd hand item. In all fairness, you're not legally nor morally obligated to refund.

tough luck to both buyer and seller...

Dont think the seller is obligated, but am sure you'r feeling pretty crappy now too. Too bad for the buyer if the reasons given were true..

Blame it all on murphy...

withouth knowing the facts, there's a possibility that the buyer might have brought it travelling with him and wrecked the CCD...

but based on the bare facts, its only the buyer's fault that he only "fully checked" it one month later. if it was like 2 weeks, i can understand (still quite close to 10 days), but one month is more than 3 times past the "warranty period".

however, if you feel bad, you might consider sharing the repair costs... but it's up to you.

As what all the above nice guy have said, you do not have to refund him the price. :)
It's way pass the warrenty period, and it was the buyer liablity to test it out before the 10 day warrenty expire. If he don't test, too bad loh. ;p
Somemore he confirm the set is working after a few day, so it might be his kid or maid who spoilt it. no one knows......? :dunno:
So, do not refund him, if you can confirm that your set is working well before your sell him. :D ;)

The axiom or principle in commerce that the buyer alone is responsible for assessing the quality of a purchase before buying.

Let the buyer beware.

Thats life I'm afraid.

tell the buyer to "read the spec." it says 10 day money back guarantee.

that he had to go travelling and was not able to test the camera for "10 days" is not your problem, it's his. if he knew this then he shouldn't have bought the camera in the 1st place. or should have informed you and both of you come to some agreement on a revised guarantee period.

and as Larry pointed out, who's to know that the buyer himself was the one who spoiled the CCD as month later?

Kho_King, you have honour the deal for 10 days money back guarante period, hence, your conscience is clear and you can sleep well at night without feeling guilt.

The buyer have to pay his own cost for replacement of CCD. He has no right to ask for refund nor asking you to share the cost of repairing for him since the agreement is 10 days warranty only.
If you agree to share the cost/or part of the cost of CCD replacement, he may take the oppournity to accuse you of selling spolit product to him.

no way no way, no refund is allow !!!!!!!!!!!!! tell him nicely first, but if he insist, just ignore him.

Sounds familiar.....there was a similar case that a lens was tempted and return back to the owner with faulty parts. You shouldn't follow the same mistake he had.

Its good enough that you even offer a warranty period. Most sellers don't.

Stoned said:
Its good enough that you even offer a warranty period. Most sellers don't.

Yeah! Somemore 10 days! Its the buyers problem once he checked the equipment and after the warranty period lapsed.

hi pal, think it's not ur fault lor...
the dslr fault maybe was caused by this buyer after ur 10 day warantty period ma...

(1) Since the buyer had tested and gave it the "ok" signal was he bought the camera, that means the merchandise was handed over in "working condition". The camera was in the buyer's possession when it was spoilt, so it's unreasonable to say that the seller is at fault.

(2) Since the buyer knew that he won't be able to use the camera until 2 weeks later, why didn't he just buy it 2 weeks later when he's back? He also knew about the 10 days warranty, and chose to ignore it (out of trust maybe) at his own cost, so he can't really blame anyone.

If I bought something for $1, I would probably shrug it off if its not working after 10 days. If its $1000, I would exercise greater care such as checking first, asking for warranty, etc...

The point is: It is the buyer's responsibility to check an item when buying it.

somemore it's an DSLR!... can check on the spot or even test withing a few days.

I bought a SLR... shoot a roll, discover shutter failed. Seller willing to refund me and let me keep the camera (I send in to replace the shutter.) :thumbsup:

but as a seller, you had done your part.

well, as many had already told you what you should do, just say "sorry, no way for a refund. 10 days given to you to test. you don't test it, thats your problem."

Look at it this way:

I buy something brand new, and I let it sit unused until the warranty given by the manufacturer has expired. I open the item for the first time and found that it was faulty. Can I go back to the manufacturer and ask for a refund?

No right?

In addition, giving 10-day money back guarentee for a secondhand deal is rare...you have been very gracious to do that, in my opinion. It was the buyer's choice to not take full advantage of that (checking the item fully within the 10 days).

It does not sound like he gave him an extension of your guarentee when the buyer told you about his trip. So you have no further obligations, in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.