What would you do with 36MP?

vizuel

Mar 16, 2007
80% Sg
With the D800 coming up, I was thinking of the wonders it could open up for many. I definately would get my hands on it, BUT! In the real world practicality, we won't print our pictures so large. Can anybody enlighten me what will you do with the full 36MP?

buy new memory cards, buy new hard drives...

With the D800 coming up, I was thinking of the wonders it could open up for many. I definately would get my hands on it, BUT! In the real world practicality, we won't print our pictures so large. Can anybody enlighten me what will you do with the full 36MP?

for me personally, i think it means i'll get more useable crops. haha, i can even shoot everything in landscape, then crop the ones i want to portrait :p

I won't buy it unless I upgrade my laptop / external hard disk first......
with 36mp, my current laptop will lag and external hard disk will run out of memory for sure......

haha I expect such replies! Thinks for affirming my thoughts.

36MP is just another "good-to-have" feature esp for pros who print large, but real world applications for a hobbyist are close to zero print-wise I oftentimes print large (min 12" x 18", sometimes up to A3 size) using a 12MP D90, and i find that 12MP is enough for most needs. Unless as mentioned above you just want it for usability in croppingu

Dfive said:
Then: Upgrade RAM, and buy new laptop !! ;)

Sure laptop only? Think full power desktop! Haha!

In the first place, Nikon has 36mp already meh?

vizuel said:

It will be a FX camera that is also truly a (better) DX camera. You can use all your DX lenses at their best.

does anyone have any idea what would be the estimated mp in DX mode? For me I would love to use it with 10.5 fisheye. :D

jackmbox said:
does anyone have any idea what would be the estimated mp in DX mode? For me I would love to use it with 10.5 fisheye. :D

If it is the NEX-7 sensor as rumoured than it should be 24MP I think. 24 x 1.5 = 36MP.

I am understand the worries about large file sizes.

However with the high speed of tech stuff normally progress, the large files will become 'normal' soon and thats when it retain its worth by staying current.

If it is the NEX-7 sensor as rumoured than it should be 24MP I think. 24 x 1.5 = 36MP.

Use similar triangle pricinple, area is related to square of length. D7000 sensor at 16 MP x 1.5 square = 36.45 MP. In the same ball park ast 38 MP.

Should be equal to D7000, i.e. 16 MP in DX crop.

Basis of my comparison.

Take the D7000 sensor size 23.6 x 15.6 mm = 368.16 mm2 for 16.2 million effective pixels

Take the FX sensor size 36 x 23.9 mm = 860.4 mm2

Take the ratio of the area to work out the effective MP of FX camera using D7000 sensor = 860.4 * 16.2/368.16 = 37.9 MP.

Double check, use data for D300s

FX camera using D300s sensor = 860.4 * 12/368.16 = 28 MP. D3x is 24.5 mp, so the computation is in the right ball park.

My take is, therefore, using the same wafer that is used to make D7000 sensor and build FX sensor and get FX (aka rumoured D800).

So, noise performance should be similar to D7000, i.e. not in D700 much less D3s territory. Double check - D3x noise performance is not in D700 territory, IIRC it is slightly better than D300s.

Last edited:
What would I do with 36MP? Nothing. Not going there.

I like a D3s sensor in a D700 body. Hopefully it comes out after the D800, maybe a D700s?

And no way the D800 will have better noise performance than D700. To say so would be to claim D3x has better noise performance than D3s or D3 or D700, which is not true.

Or I may end up with a D7000 - reluctant to go there, as the improvement over D300 is too small for me to splash out the money. Maybe wait another year and buy use D7000? I like to have video function in a D300-size body. And I do not have the luxury of changing body for video, heck I can't even change lens under water!

I am understand the worries about large file sizes.

However with the high speed of tech stuff normally progress, the large files will become 'normal' soon and thats when it retain its worth by staying current.

This I agree.