What would happen if I mount a EF lens to an EF-S lens?

arikyeo

Deregistered
Oct 23, 2010
Planet Earth
I used to have a 18-300mm EF lens, happily mounted to my canon 400d. Now I'm starting to wonder: what's all this buzz? I know that Ef-S lens cannot be put on a EF body, but a EF lens can be put on a EF-S body. What would happen if I mount a EF lens on my 400d? Any image quality issues?

Your crop body (400D) can accept both EF and EF-S lenses.

Look for the white dot for EF-S lens mount and red dot for EF lens mount.

Full frame cameras such as 5Dmk2, 1Ds...etc cannot use EF-S lenses due to the protruding element. Besides, most EF lenses, especially the L ones, are professional lenses, cost more and better quality. EF-S lenses are more affordable as they are targeted towards the consumer.

What buzz? Where got buzz? Many have used EF lenses on APS-C without any buzz. Did I miss the buzz?

What buzz? Where got buzz? Many have used EF lenses on APS-C without any buzz. Did I miss the buzz?

Ok, ok... :cool: so that means that I can use a EF lens on my body without any image problems? Because I heard that if I attach an EF lens onto an EF-S body, the image will be cropped by 1.6x... Which means that if I set focal length to 100mm, the actual image will be 160mm. Pls clarify, Im still very blur :dunno:

That has nothing to do with lens. It is the sensor size on your camera is of smaller than FF, so the focal length of any lens mounted with have a multipler effect regardless of EF or EF-S. Canon produces 3 different sensor sizes for DSLR. You won't be getting true 18mm on your camera regardless of EF or EF-S lenses. You have to multiply by 1.6 which is 28.8mm. This is a non issue unless you are after Ultra Wide Angles (UWA). In which case, you have the option of EF-S 10-22 which gives you 16-35mm or EF 16-35 which gives you 25-56mm (not really UWA) on your camera . Hope by drawing this example will make you understand.

read here for more info
http://www.kenrockwell.com/canon/1-6x.htm

Last edited:
Ok, ok... :cool: so that means that I can use a EF lens on my body without any image problems? Because I heard that if I attach an EF lens onto an EF-S body, the image will be cropped by 1.6x... Which means that if I set focal length to 100mm, the actual image will be 160mm. Pls clarify, Im still very blur :dunno:

Have you found this little booklet called 'camera manual'? Read there, carefully and slowly. If not, please do some homework, spend some efforts and time on Canon websites. It's all there. No buzz or whatnot, simple compatibility. Actually, the EF-S mount is the 'exotic' one. EF is the standard mount since many years, when Canon changed from FD to EF.
Wikipedia: Canon EF lens mount

I have been using EF lens on my 1000D and 40D, so far... no problem. In fact for wildlife shooting... I find that sometime (in fact most of the time) I need that range. So I really welcome the x1.6 :D

I used to have a 18-300mm EF lens, happily mounted to my canon 400d. Now I'm starting to wonder: what's all this buzz? I know that Ef-S lens cannot be put on a EF body, but a EF lens can be put on a EF-S body. What would happen if I mount a EF lens on my 400d? Any image quality issues?
you realize that your title is misleading? It sounds like you're trying to attach one lens to another! :bsmilie:

You need to understand the difference between:
1) EF lens
and
2) EF-S lens

and also the difference between
1) "full-frame" sensor/camera body
and
2) "crop" or APS-C sensor/camera body

then hopefully with some common sense you should be able to put 2 and 2 together....
Don't run before you learn how to walk...

I used to have a 18-300mm EF lens, happily mounted to my canon 400d. /QUOTE]

Hmm... "18-300mm EF lens", some new lens for full frame? :dunno:

To my knowledge the closest is Tamron 18-270mm VR.... or 18-200mm IS EF-S lenses... :think:

@ Anson - doubt if TS' lens is a Tamron -- none of the independent lens manufacturers uses the EF and EF-S nomenclature. Possibly an EF-S 18-200, or since he specifically said 'EF' a 28-300 (I think that's an expensive and huge L zoom though).

@ Otoro - You've got the tech bits about right, but I don't believe that Canon uses a 'consumer/pro' distinction between 'EF-S/EF'. Disregarding the L lenses (all L lenses are EF), the EF range covers the low-end 'consumer' lenses too, including some poorly regarded ones such as the 35-80 and 75-300. And the EF-S range includes some really good 'pro-quality' lenses. Although if you go by Canon's description, all their lenses are 'pro'.
EF-S lenses can be made less expensive because they only have to cover the smaller APS-C image circle - lenses are smaller, less glass is needed, etc.
Also, the short back focus design (the 'S' in 'EF-S') means easier to design lenses (at least at the wide end), and thus cheaper lenses.
For more info on the lens design bit, search for 'retrofocus lens design', or go to:
http://www.camerarepair.com/Retrofocus-Design-Problems-A-Synopsis-T37.html
http://www.rondexter.com/library/retro_focus_and_tele.htm

Full frame cameras such as 5Dmk2, 1Ds...etc cannot use EF-S lenses due to the protruding element. Besides, most EF lenses, especially the L ones, are professional lenses, cost more and better quality. EF-S lenses are more affordable as they are targeted towards the consumer.