What would be your dream lens

Nostalgraphy

Apr 19, 2011
Just curious, if you are in a position to decide ONE new lens for Nikon to produce, what would it be? I would have one vote for AFS 16-70mm f/2.8 IF-ED VR II. And it better be a 77mm thread size cos I am tired of getting new filters.

Obviously u are not greedy enough, I would want a 14-300mm f1.4 lens lol...

Just a simple and affordable AFS 12-24mm f4.5-5.6 for FX will do. No need VR.
( corner performance must be better than the sigma 12-24mm pls .. )

Ryan

haha since it's just a 'dream' lens....

AF-S 10-300mm F/0.95 IF ED VRIII

a 24mm 1.4 that cost like a 35mm 1.8 DX?

haha since it's just a 'dream' lens....

AF-S 10-300mm F/0.95 IF ED VRIII

Sui.... I believe now only Leica has anything less than F/1. but also must be 77mm la else too heavy.
VR III means you can do jumping jack and the picture still not blur, correct? :bsmilie:

diameter would be at least 300/1.4 = 214mm :bsmilie:
w/o taking into account the barrel, housing, and other necessities in lens construction :)

Will probably cost $200,000. Must also come with a luggage size trolley (probably with LV logo) else cannot carry. May need body guard everywhere you go because sure kenna rob! :bsmilie:

Surprise no one talks about other more feasible ones. Examples:

AFS 60-200mm f/2.8 Micro VRII IF-ED
AFS 200-400 f/2.8 VRII IF-ED
AFS 105mm or 135mm f/1.8 ED

Sometimes, I wonder if Canon and Nikon deliberately hold back making such lenses so that they can continue to tease you to buy more..... but too many lenses very travel unfriendly.

Just a simple and affordable AFS 12-24mm f4.5-5.6 for FX will do. No need VR.
( corner performance must be better than the sigma 12-24mm pls .. )

Ryan

hmmm.... practical and nice.

Surprise no one talks about other more feasible ones. Examples:

Dude... seriously, have you carried the f/4 version alone?? :sweat: :sweat: f/2.8 is going to be seriously heavier than just "heavy"....

If they do come up with one, I'm sure they will throw in something like a gun-carriage for you to tow it behind your car...

Last edited:
12-60mm f/2.8G VRII with magnification ratio 1:2 at 60mm
;)

12-60mm f/2.8G VRII with magnification ratio 1:2 at 60mm
;)

You might as well request for 12-70mm... That way, Nikon would have to drop 14-24 and 24-70 in one sitting... :bsmilie: But given a super UWA to medium zoom, I'd think the distortions are going to be weeeeeeeaaaally hard to control. :)

The only dream I'd wish for is for the prices to come down on the current line-up... simple as that. :) I think this is even more wishful thinking on my part...

Nostalgraphy said:

kriegsketten said:
Dude... seriously, have you carried the f/4 version alone?? :sweat: :sweat: f/2.8 is going to be seriously heavier than just "heavy"....

If they do come up with one, I'm sure they will throw in something like a gun-carriage for you to tow it behind your car...

The sigma 200-500 f2.8 weighs in excess of 15kg, a theoretical nikkor 200-400 f2.8 cannot be that much way off I think. Hopefully by then Nikon might just head towards lowering weight of superteles like Canon's new lineup

8mm f2.8

a cheap 50mm F1.2G with self cleaning and nano-coating. no fungus for life =P oh well, it's just a dream