What would be a good camera recommendation?

trelch

Jun 27, 2010
Hello,
I am new to this forum, and currently owns a broken cheap digital camera which I use to snap pictures around me to update my blog and to post in some forums. Recently, I started taking pictures of tiny objects, such as shrimps in my aquarium, and finds that my camera cannot do the work properly.

What would be a recommendation for a camera that I can get, without breaking the bank? Should I look for one in the second hand buy and sell section? All I want to do is to take still and macro shots of my little shrimps in the aquarium.

Thanks for reading
STHH

Last edited:
Hello,
I am new to this forum, and currently owns a broken cheap digital camera which I use to snap pictures around me to update my blog and to post in some forums. Recently, I started taking pictures of tiny objects, such as shrimps in my aquarium, and finds that my camera cannot do the work properly.

What would be a recommendation for a camera that I can get, without breaking the bank? Should I look for one in the second hand buy and sell section? All I want to do is to take still and macro shots of my little shrimps in the aquarium.

Thanks for reading
STHH

Panasonic LX3 @ TK Foto on Level 2 of Funan Centre costing $650.

Maybe an older camera, but it is good.

If manual controls are not a concern, a Canon Ixus or Powershot should do fine.

Sony a230. It's freaking cheap now and it's very easy to use. And when you know what you prefer to shoot, and what you want to get, you wouldn't lose too much money from selling it.

If you don't want DSLR, then I have tried some of the lumix like GF1 and the photos are quite nice.

My only concern is that currently, I have an olympus and a fujifilm digital camera. Somehow, the macro shots are just not sharp. I am quite an idiot camera user, and all I do is set the camera to Marco mode, mount it near my fish tank and slowly snap when I think I have the view I want.

My only concern is that currently, I have an olympus and a fujifilm digital camera. Somehow, the macro shots are just not sharp. I am quite an idiot camera user, and all I do is set the camera to Marco mode, mount it near my fish tank and slowly snap when I think I have the view I want.

fish tank? then there'r some areas you need to consider before you decide on your cam...there's reflection in water, ripples, reflection from tank, fast moving fish. So probably another camera at Macro mode might not solve your problems too...

Anyway, LX3 is good. EX-1 seems good too.
Samsung EX-1 Review by ed9119
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=706521

fish tank? then there'r some areas you need to consider before you decide on your cam...there's reflection in water, ripples, reflection from tank, fast moving fish. So probably another camera at Macro mode might not solve your problems too...

Anyway, LX3 is good. EX-1 seems good too.
Samsung EX-1 Review by ed9119
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=706521

Thank you, let me look at the LX3. Hopefully, it's something I can use easily. The Sony A230 seems interesting too.

Just realised that I am comparing a Panasonic LX3 to a Sony A230. One is a point and click, the other a DSLR. What should I look out for in these comparison?

before you jump into buy any camera, do ask your self this thing...... WHAT's THE BUDGET !!! ....

After that, then work out the range of camera within that budget ... simple. If you don't have a budget, go define one. $1000 can buy from an entry DSLR with lens to high end PnS (point and shoot, AKA compact).

TS, no offence, but it really seems to me that you are somewhat clueless. Clubsnap is useful, but will, in most situations, provide pockets of information that is still insufficient to make an informed decision. I suggest reading up on the differences and asking specific questions here.

So we know you will like to shoot closeups, shoot fish in glass tank.

For us to give u suggestions, maybe you can let us know what other short coming u find with ur current camera, eg hotshoe, swivel lcd screen, IS/VR, range of focal length (not wide / tele enough), aperture too small etc.

Of cause, very importantly the budget.

I did some google on Macro shots done by Panasonic LX3, Sumsung EX1 and the Sony A230. I think these are price range of cameras I am comfortable with. They all look good.

The LX3, EX1 and A230 are not simple to use; unless you put them on Auto or iA mode and hope for the best.

Doubt the A230 can shoot macro with the kit lens.

Thank you everyone for your kind suggestions. I have finally bought a 2nd hand DSLR Olympus e450 with dual kit lens. Will eventually get a macro lens, after I get the hang of this camera first.
Here's a picture of a shrimps in my tank taken with the camera.
It's a Sulawesi shrimp, caridina striata. These shrimps only come out at night, and makes very challenging photography subject matters. I tried to take picture with very very low shutter speed. This picture has been resize so that it load easier.
Don't be harsh, I am still a novice.
P7017798.jpg

STHH

Thank you everyone for your kind suggestions. I have finally bought a 2nd hand DSLR Olympus e450 with dual kit lens. Will eventually get a macro lens, after I get the hang of this camera first.
Here's a picture of a shrimps in my tank taken with the camera.
It's a Sulawesi shrimp, caridina striata. These shrimps only come out at night, and makes very challenging photography subject matters. I tried to take picture with very very low shutter speed. This picture has been resize so that it load easier.
Don't be harsh, I am still a novice.

STHH

I was going to recommend a cheap entry level resale body of any brand. From your picture, I believe you need a longer macro lens (100mm or more) to take a close-up of your shrimps. But it seems from Oly website that the longest is a Zuiko 50mm macro?

I was going to recommend a cheap entry level resale body of any brand. From your picture, I believe you need a longer macro lens (100mm or more) to take a close-up of your shrimps. But it seems from Oly website that the longest is a Zuiko 50mm macro?

I read from the Oly website that the Zuiko 50mm marco is equivalent to 100mm on a 35 mm camera. Hmmm.

I read from the Oly website that the Zuiko 50mm marco is equivalent to 100mm on a 35 mm camera. Hmmm.

It's the 2x crop factor. So 50x2=100. It's not exactly equivalent, just your Oly camera sensor is 2 times smaller than a full frame sensor (36mmx24mm)

Ah... thanks for the information. I still got a lot to learn.

panasonic lx3