What worked and what didnt. An Antartica Expedition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was reading the link provided by Reportage, there are many discussion in that forum. In one
of the thread, according to the 6 individuals that have failed 5D MKII are in this range of
serial no: 320105XXX, 032010xxxx.

They are saying it might be related to a particular batch. The rest of the other 20 5D MKII
users that did not have any problem even in the same wet conditions as the 6 users who
have problems, they have different batch of serial no.

They are trying to draw some conclusion if it due to manufacturing defects.

Last edited:
my Canon 350D's shutter froze during the first part of my Nepal Everest trip which left a bitter taste in my mouth though i do understand well that failures are inevitable.

that contributed to my decision of switching back to Nikon.

I was reading the link provided by Reportage, there are many discussion in that forum. In one
of the thread, according to the 6 individuals that have failed 5D MKII are in this range of
serial no: 320105XXX, 032010xxxx.

They are saying it might be related to a particular batch. The rest of the other 20 5D MKII
users that did not have any problem even in the same wet conditions as the 6 users who
have problems, they have different batch of serial no.

They are trying to draw some conclusion if it due to manufacturing defects.

It will still mean bad QC , and since it happened it will happen again.

Everyone's milage may vary, depending on the gear and how you use them. Mine was fine then in 1997 when I was in Antarctica.

2700527342_35e8b868fa_o.jpg

Then again, I had only 2 film bodies and 4 lenses from Canon. All of them are still with me and working fine.

Cheers,

He has ALWAYS done it for all expeditions. As for his posts about Sony, that's simply because the A900 is the camera he's currently using. And if you read a bit more, you'll see him go totally ecstatic about the 60MP Phase one back.

At least this fella actually uses the equipment he writes about.

Another 2 Nikon gurus whom I respect greatly are Thom Hogan and Bjørn Rørslett, because they actually use and put their Nikon gear to task. They also don't mince words when the Nikon lenses are lousy.

P65 isn't competing against the a900. His enthusiasm over the a900 is a bit not normal. Well just my feeling.

Maybe because he's really happy with it?

although i hate shooting in the hot singapore weather, im not gonna be shootin antartica soon..
so +1

Everyone's milage may vary, depending on the gear and how you use them. Mine was fine then in 1997 when I was in Antarctica.

2700527342_35e8b868fa_o.jpg

Then again, I had only 2 film bodies and 4 lenses from Canon. All of them are still with me and working fine.

Cheers,

film bodies cannot compare la , they can withstand cold better than the best dslrs. Due to the mechanical nature of their construction.

film bodies cannot compare la , they can withstand cold better than the best dslrs. Due to the mechanical nature of their construction.

What rubbish. Your dSLR shutter is electronic? Didn't think so.

+1, and I'm so thankful he's deregistered.

Status
Not open for further replies.