What will you do if someone with a cam walks up to you...

Status
Not open for further replies.

AReality

Jun 9, 2003
visualjournalist.net
What will you do if someone with a camera walks up to you...
& asks "Can help us take a pic please?"

Wondering if the pros out here will say "That'll be $5 for each pic taken." :)

So how?
Me & my friends always get that on the streets. Should we start charging to earn some lunch? :D
What will you do? :think:

AReality said:

So how?
Me & my friends always get that on the streets. Should we start charging to earn some lunch? :D
:dunno:

First of all, you're on the street. Not on assignment

2nd, why can't you just take the pic for them and get on with your life? :dunno:

Is money everything to you?

I agree with FLiNcHY. It is just a small favour.

AReality said:

So how?

wah lau! just take the pic for them lah! maybe i should charge u $5 for answering your question... :think:

AReality said:

So how?
Wat! $5? You must be joking! At your skill, you should be charging $50, MAN!! Hehe..

mylau said:
wah lau! just take the pic for them lah! maybe i should charge u $5 for answering your question... :think:

:bsmilie:

It happened to me a couple of times..I often feel good with the return of a "Thanks You" and smile from their faces.

I would help them as much as possible and even give some tips on which angle they might wish to get. The only thing I am worried about is using the lcd to compose the shot, very surreal feeling.

btw if you ever have the opportunity to go photoshoot with <cesnored at photographer's request>, you shouldnt be surprised if people actually approach him in the streets to do assignments. THat, I feel, is the mark of a true professional.

I get this quite often also, instead of just snapping and go I take the shots rather seriously. Won't want the shots to turn out crappy. Must show some standard. I remember I was approched for help at the merlion last christmas by some tourists. I was quite shocked when they asked me 'You don't want money?' I thought for a moment and told them, ' No, I'm doing this for the love of it. ' So I wonder, have people here been charging money for stuff like this?

Jus take the pretty babe and dun bother abt the other... :bsmilie:
just kidding...

AReality said:

So how?

Juz wondering how you would react if it was you who was being asked to pay $5 for a pic taken by a stranger? and what if that guy is not giving back your cam if you didnt want to pay? :think:

i'll just help them take the pic. why not.... many ppl have helped me take pics b4.

have heard of an instance when this guy was travelling abroad with an expensive camera, and b4 asking one of the locals to help him take a pic, checked first to make sure they weren't gonna run away with his camera. ;p

Yeah...Just take the photo for them and get on with your life.
Last year, I remember when I was helping the Red Cross at an event and was the photographer, there was a family that insisted that I take a picture of them which I did and they then pass me a slip of paper.
It was their home address.
Boy! Was I flabbergasted. :what:

Inimatad said:
Last year, I remember when I was helping the Red Cross at an event and was the photographer, there was a family that insisted that I take a picture of them which I did and they then pass me a slip of paper.

Same experience here, one of the family took photo with Minister and gave me their home address requested me to send the photo to them. Of course they don't minded to pay but as a kind gesture I send them the photo without charging. They are more than happy ..... :cool:

On the street, well ... Just Do It ;)

:nono: :nono: :nono:

I've got friends who appear very keen and snap for them. And they don't charge (of coz!!). But they don't compose the shot to have the people in it... perhaps lower body only? or shoot the ground...? :nono:

I also dont agree with taking shots with standard but charging them instead!!! :nono:

What's so difficult... :dunno:

Haha... Looks like all of you agreed that we should not charge them... ;)
Dun worry, I haven't done that to pple on the streets before... Just wondering if I do that... ;p I may get some free lunch...

But the part I dun like is pple ask me why look thru the viewfinder & not the LCD when I took them using their digicam. Kinda funny rite? But after using a SLR for quite some time, the LCD is not that important anymore.

Worse, they see a buncha pple holding large cams, with long lens, with big tripods, then requests to help them take a photo. Then after taking, they went away, reviewing their shots, sulking all the way. Well, they wanted 1/2 body shots, they wanted the background that was directly behind them, what else can the photographer do? :dunno:

AReality said:
Worse, they see a buncha pple holding large cams, with long lens, with big tripods, then requests to help them take a photo. Then after taking, they went away, reviewing their shots, sulking all the way. Well, they wanted 1/2 body shots, they wanted the background that was directly behind them, what else can the photographer do? :dunno:

:bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

Agree we shouldnt charge them? Wassup with you man? I dont think that was even on our minds dude.

You know what i'll do if that person asks for money? I'll erase the photo(assuming its Digital) and then give him the finger and walk off. Geez...

Inimatad said:

:bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:
Depends if they asked nicely. The beauty with digital is that you can stick it on a free site somewhere and ask them to download themselves. I was on a night tour shooting monuments in DC last month and 2 ladies on the tour bus gave me their business cards! Anyway, just sent them a link.

Cheers,

Har....??! U mean this simple task of helping others is so diffucult that money becomes an issue? Snapping pictures for people on the street is as simple as helping someone pick up stuffs that he or she dropped or holding the door open for someone.

I think we need to loosen up a little in Singapore. Owning or displaying long lenses in public does not qualify one as a pro or king, though strangers would like to assume you are skilled based on the arsenal of equipment you have... but still that doesn't put one on the Hall of Fame pedestal.

LCDs are better to use than viewfinders for digital cams cos they give you a more accurate field of view. It's generally easier to compose also, as the viewfinders of most compact digital cams are more inferior than SLRs.

Well, after taking the pic, just ask the person(s) if it's ok. Or do they want another shot. Very often, you'll find it's fun and you might even strike up a friendly conversation. Believe it or not, digital photography can create rapport!

I just remembered one previous episode of Friends. Damn funny :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

Ross and Mona(Bonnie Sommerville), asked some stranger to take some pics of them.
Then when they got their pics back, all the pics were of Mona's breats :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

Don't be like that :nono: :nono:

Status
Not open for further replies.