What will happen if I go overseas during My Unit Off day?

Starkingz

Dec 17, 2013
Over the rainbow
Hello, I'm a NSF and I don't have any leave left. However, My unit will be having a year end off in the end of this month. I know I am not suppose to go Overseas during My off. But What if i go without informing them? Will My Unit know that I went to overseas or as long as I'm not activated for urgent stuffs, They wont know??? Any experience or info about this? I really want to know :bigeyes::bigeyes::bigeyes:

You mean you can leave the country without going through immigration? i.e. you are sneaking out of the country?:confused:

Ofcourse I'll go through immigration. But will they inform to My unit or not? ??

Confirm will. For the more serious cases, they will have MP on standby to catch. You may fall within such a category unfortunately..

Ofcourse I'll go through immigration. But will they inform to My unit or not? ??

I have no idea how it works, but my guess is that it's not hard to imagine that ICA's system regularly cross-checks the immigration records of any male citizen who crosses the checkpoints, against mindef's leave/overseas notification/exitpermit/NS-liability records. You may not be stopped immediately (depending on when they run the checks and when the records get updated?), but will likely catch up with you at a later date.

Last edited:
I have no idea how it works, but my guess is that it's not hard to imagine that ICA's system regularly cross-checks the immigration records of any male citizen who crosses the checkpoints, against mindef's leave/overseas notification/exitpermit/NS-liability records. You may not be stopped immediately (depending on when they run the checks and when the records get updated?), but will likely catch up with you at a later date.

Now everything is computerize and automated, there won't be any human looking at the records to do cross check.

The moment they scan your passport, an alert will shown on the screen and you will be detained because of your NS status.

If you cannot produce an exit permit from mindef, you will be arrested.

Ya I think better dont.. Quite paiseh to kena arrest at checkpoint

Think u will need exit permit. Best to check with your unit s1.

If Mas and Tok can walk across without being detected, don't see why you can't. LOL

This is very stupid idea but there's no way to get exit permit without informing my unit right? I know the answer is ovbious

Uh.. If you know where else to apply exit permit you can do it without your unit knowing. Cant share too much here.

Now everything is computerize and automated, there won't be any human looking at the records to do cross check.

The moment they scan your passport, an alert will shown on the screen and you will be detained because of your NS status.

If you cannot produce an exit permit from mindef, you will be arrested.

It might be computerized & automated, but I really doubt something like leave status is instantaneous and that you will get detained on the spot, unless you has already been flagged or charged for a military/criminal offence. I say this because from the moment an NSF applies for leave (at least from when I was an NSF), that piece of paper has to pass through a bunch of people... who aren't always the most efficient because they have better things to do than clear your leave quickly for you. Unit clerk > my immediate officer sign/approve > his officer sign/approve > unit clerk > chief clerk > dunno who else > then keyed into the 'system'. Will definitely take some time for it to reflect actual leave status?

E.g., If an NSF on MC decides to cross the border to JB for lunch, I think he'll likely pass through and back with no issue as the assumption at that point is that he has not done anything wrong (yet), could be on actual leave but not reflected in the system yet? That said, it's likely that an NSman who tries to leave the country while he is supposed to be on annual ICT, to be stopped and arrested at the checkpoint because his reservist period would have been updated in the system for at least 6 months.

Anyway, just pure speculation on my part. You could be right and the SAF is really that efficient these days ;p

Last edited:
U can anything u want, just dun get caught.
If get caught, it not u suay, it cos u did something illegal.

What I know, there are ppl who cross over to Malaysia without official overseas leave (eg during weekend etc), but some unit may do spot check something. Eg check passport.
If really want go, go over weekend, apply overseas leave during weekend so no leave need to be deducted (that if u are those off duty during weekend one).

Not worth take risk.

...but some unit may do spot check something. Eg check passport.

Oh yeah. Forgot all about this. My unit did this (around 2006/7). Before we ORDed, we had to bring our passport for the unit clerk to check :bsmilie:

Last edited:
Only if you are overseas for a period of more than 24 hours (I have bunkmates staying in Johor who return home every nights out during my active NSF days).

Not sure though for active NTM-X units on Alert Amber.

Last edited:
It might be computerized & automated, but I really doubt something like leave status is instantaneous and that you will get detained on the spot, unless you has already been flagged or charged for a military/criminal offence. I say this because from the moment an NSF applies for leave (at least from when I was an NSF), that piece of paper has to pass through a bunch of people... who aren't always the most efficient because they have better things to do than clear your leave quickly for you. Unit clerk > my immediate officer sign/approve > his officer sign/approve > unit clerk > chief clerk > dunno who else > then keyed into the 'system'. Will definitely take some time for it to reflect actual leave status?

E.g., If an NSF on MC decides to cross the border to JB for lunch, I think he'll likely pass through and back with no issue as the assumption at that point is that he has not done anything wrong (yet), could be on actual leave but not reflected in the system yet? That said, it's likely that an NSman who tries to leave the country while he is supposed to be on annual ICT, to be stopped and arrested at the checkpoint because his reservist period would have been updated in the system for at least 6 months.

Anyway, just pure speculation on my part. You could be right and the SAF is really that efficient these days ;p

When is your NSF ?

They have outsource some of the admin jobs and switch to paperless. The contractors develop database and manage all NS related matter. No more absent minded clerk forgot to call you up for reservist and let you live until age 55 with only one low key ICT.

When I was still in reservist 6-7 years ago, the reservist booklet is replace by e-booklet in NSmen portal. A web site to apply for everything from IPPT to medical appointment related to NS.