What will be your upgrade during this recession period?

Status
Not open for further replies.
In actuality, a recession is the greatest time to invest, as well as shop for Big Ticket items - prices of almost everything is slashed.

This however, is only applicable to those who have invested wisely during better days, and have been watching the Amercian Financial Sector teetering over the past 2 years & were able to step aside when it fell over like large old rotting tree.

Holding back on purchases when you can afford, will only prolong this recession.

Will be downgrading camera setup and upgrading my portfolio of shares.

5d mk II + 85mm f1.8
Spending some $ to help the economy;p

5d mk II + 85mm f1.8
Spending some $ to help the economy;p

out already???? hey you have the same cam and lens that i used to have..i was deciding also then to get 50D, 5D or 5Dmark2...but in the end i choose the crop camera instead. Save some $$$

Well, in times like this maybe it's good to help one another then...

Those in need of $$$ will sell and those looking for a good bargain will buy...

That way it's a win-win situation and this will boost the "economy"....

;p

A kind word for you all , even though I'm Englsih and Nikon user ,
Our Prime Minister Gordon Brown is currently in talks at the G20 summit in America , hes pushing for global tax cuts , all countries should work together side by side to ensure we can all weather the current economic storm together and stop it becoming an all out recession .
The idea is to cut taxes globaly and save jobs , jobs mean people , people mean money is being spent and when you spend money the economy benefits from it,
I hope they all listen , and no one has to suffer any hardships or loss of their job .
Keep a tight rein on the purse strings and see what happens and good luck to you all :)
Good luck on that.....unless he is willing to go to extremes, i doubt the various company directors will simply accept the fact that they have to earn less this round.

Well, in times like this maybe it's good to help one another then...

Those in need of $$$ will sell and those looking for a good bargain will buy...

That way it's a win-win situation and this will boost the "economy"....

;p

I agree with this...which is why I'm only looking at 2nd hand lenses ;p

Just got myself a 580EXII - the price just dropped! :bigeyes:
When I lose my perm job, you will see me offering wedding/event photography $100 :bsmilie:
Or else I will sell away all my kit, and work at MacDonald's. Replace DSLR with a Canon E1.

Will be downgrading camera setup and upgrading my portfolio of shares.

Exactly what I would be doing. :)

Anyway, I think if you have savings and are not living way beyond your means, it should be fine. If you're the sort who has negative assets to pay off(house loan/car etc.) you should be more prudent in spending. It depends on how much of your income you are left with every month as well. Some people end up with a few dollars left every month from bills and loans. I think these ppl should be more careful than say someone who has consistent savings. At least when you lose your job you still got savings to cover up for loss in income(while you try to find another job)

People also need to understand that in a recession, if the economy doesn't 'spend', it might worsen the situation. That is why they are lowering inter-bank rates, interest rates on loans for business etc. If there is no money in the market, things would go nowhere. No way for improvement. The fact that ppl don't spend could and often times would lead to a worse-off scenario.

People don't spend/buy ; companies don't make money/banks don't earn interest on loans; then they're forced to cut costs(and one of the ways is to cut jobs). It's an economic 'circle' that you have to understand. Don't come to a conclusion that you must not spend during a recession. Things aren't that simple. If they were, the solution would be just as simple.

A kind word for you all , even though I'm Englsih and Nikon user ,
Our Prime Minister Gordon Brown is currently in talks at the G20 summit in America , hes pushing for global tax cuts , all countries should work together side by side to ensure we can all weather the current economic storm together and stop it becoming an all out recession .
The idea is to cut taxes globaly and save jobs , jobs mean people , people mean money is being spent and when you spend money the economy benefits from it,
I hope they all listen , and no one has to suffer any hardships or loss of their job .
Keep a tight rein on the purse strings and see what happens and good luck to you all :)

Cutting corporate tax would not work well if the companies do not 'promise' to not cut jobs. Think about it, if you cut corporate tax, and I as a company cut jobs, I'd be heck of a lot better off. Secondly, cutting corporate tax would not eliminate job cutting in every company. I think the approach as G20 progresses would be more holistic rather than simplifying that corporate tax is a magic bullet. Perhaps it is one of the ways, and I do see it as one of the ways out of this.

I believe that the G20 meeting might stretch over a long period. Of course it is beneficial and we all hope a lot of good will come out of it. After all, the world is too inter-connected for us to not, not work together.

I will upgrading my whole setup to Hasselblad.

If everyone follows to upgrade to Hasselblad it may rejuvenate the stock markets and stop the crisis. ;)

Spend spend spend. It's a great time for those who have no financial commitments, wish i took up photography before i met my wife to be, maybe i would be still single and spending on a 5D:lovegrin:.

No bonus this year. So I was thinking too hard whether to upgrade or not.. ( can't resist that 5DMK2 ).. Finally I ended up writing this blog :bsmilie:
http://www.lyricsoflight.com/
Now I need more reasons against upgrading (All my thoughts are going in favor)..... let me see how long I can hold back...:D
Cheers
Mohan

No bonus this year. So I was thinking too hard whether to upgrade or not.. ( can't resist that 5DMK2 ).. Finally I ended up writing this blog :bsmilie:
http://www.lyricsoflight.com/
Now I need more reasons against upgrading (All my thoughts are going in favor)..... let me see how long I can hold back...:D
Cheers
Mohan

If you have the means, I would say upgrade your camera. Afterall, life is short and you should enjoy the things that make you happy - photography.:)

Do our part to help the economy, spent if you can afford else we are just fulfilling our fear.. I am quite keen in joining the dark side, 700D with 24-70 f2.8. Waiting for Canon to announce their 5Dmk II pricing before jumping ship.

Upgrade my skills to
- take better photos - limited cost just batteries and wear&tear of shutter.
- figure out more ways to make money

... thinking of another DSLR system...:think::devil:

Status
Not open for further replies.