What will be the largest camera you'll take on a trip?

windwaver

May 19, 2007
Europa
windwaver.tripod.com
I know it varies with people with different shots in mind but what I'll like to get out of this question is the types of cameras you'll bring with you on an overseas trip with family.

No particular brands. Probably also list the reasons like weight, need to take fast shots, etc. Feel free to include accessories if you think its necessary.

I know it varies with people with different shots in mind but what I'll like to get out of this question is the types of cameras you'll bring with you on an overseas trip with family.

No particular brands. Probably also list the reasons like weight, need to take fast shots, etc. Feel free to include accessories if you think its necessary.

Depending on mood and also the type of trip I have in mind... the largest camera I will bring is my Canon 7D with a 70-200mm f4L + Siggy 17-70mm + 50mm f1.8 and finally if I intend to shoot a bit of wild life I will bring my 300mm f4L and 1.4xTC.

Otherwise, my OM-D + 14-42mm and 40-150mm lens will do the trick.

It depends on my travel schedule. If I know there's no time for photographic adventures, I'd just throw in a lightweight Nikon D70 or Nikon D7000 with a Nikon AF-S 35mm f/1.8G lens.

If my intend is to return with some particular images, everything in. That may include a Nikon D800 or Nikon D3s dSLR, Nikon AF-S 14-24mm f/2.8 with the Lee filter system, Sigma AF 85mm f/1.4, Nikon AF 300mm f/4, tripod etc.

I am a young adult, and am not encumbered by family or tour groups. I travel as part of work or leisure, but usually link up with friends around the globe to explore. Generally fit, I have no problems carrying the equipment described above.

So far it seems that most people have a serious dslr kit for heavy photography and a med to lightweight kit for causal shoots.

Just wondering if i should just offload my heavy weights and just use mirrorless and compacts all the way.

Depends on locations too like what others have mentioned. Probly go with my EOS 5 + 50mm 1.8.

or lighter and more sleek, Canon S95. :)

Brought several times my D300s... heavy duty! :what:

My travel with family kit now is d800 with 16-35 f4, sb400 flash and tripod.

It used to be d80 with 17-50 f2.8, sb400 and table pod

Heaviest was K5+4 lens and a yashicamat tlr with family.

Otherwise its typically K5, a very small DA15, 35, 85/2

D5100+17-50/2.8 or GF5+pancake. Or perhaps both.

Brought tripod to London n hk before. Terrible experience.

Last edited:
In the end, I think for most folks including me, it really depends on what kind of trip you are talking about. If it is a photography trip, all the big guns and pro bodies will come out. If just a simple relax with family trip, a mirrorless and Pns probably

Like what mod mentioned...

My last trip to penang for holiday and my relative's wedding i brought my...

Mamiya RB67 Pro SD + 127mm f3.5 KL + 50mm f4 C + 120 6x7 & polaroid back + 30+ yrs old sr3 gitzo tripod
together with my D1X & D2X kit

Like what mod mentioned...

My last trip to penang for holiday and my relative's wedding i brought my...

Mamiya RB67 Pro SD + 127mm f3.5 KL + 50mm f4 C + 120 6x7 & polaroid back + 30+ yrs old sr3 gitzo tripod
together with my D1X & D2X kit

:eek: you are the current leader for heaviest gear

For travel, outings or even trekking I always carry 2 bodies 800 and 800e now, one with 28-300 and the 14-24 when I want something ultra wide, 16-35 when I want something lighter and 17-35 for the 2.8 without the bulk of the 14-24, 50/1.8, the 16.5 fisheye with the SB900. Before the 800s I used a 700 & a 300s and the 16-35 was not out.

Hmm... I am keen to find out from some of the photographers who use a 2 or more dSLR setup - why would you need that when traveling? I get it if you are doing events style or photo journalistic style, but is there something that I am missing?

Hmm... I am keen to find out from some of the photographers who use a 2 or more dSLR setup - why would you need that when traveling? I get it if you are doing events style or photo journalistic style, but is there something that I am missing?

Just a bad habit of mine. I try not to change lenses on the go, especially when it's dusty or when I am dripping with sweat while trekking or when it's freezing and have gloves on or putting your gear bag down getting the lens and all that capping and uncapping that's all . no you are not missing anything maybe it's me that's missing something!!!

Just a bad habit of mine. I try not to change lenses on the go, especially when it's dusty or when I am dripping with sweat while trekking or when it's freezing and have gloves on or putting your gear bag down getting the lens and all that capping and uncapping that's all . no you are not missing anything maybe it's me that's missing something!!!

Me too. That's why one lens for DSLR and another for my mirrorless. If all fails, my compact :D

I personally dislike changing lens while on the go. I always have a 24mm T-SE for architecture and landscape on one body while a 70-200mm on the other for telephoto requirements. It has been a habit but it does help to save time and also prevent dusts from getting the camera when the winds are strong are the places you visit tend to be dusty. The down side is the weight but since most of my gears are already heavy to start with, another extra body makes little difference.

Leica M6 with 50 cron and 35 lux and many many rolls of films. Perhaps my XE1 also. An if I feel like it, my rollei. Oh look I brought my whole dry cabi out already