What went wrong? The flash or The Camera ?

afiyy

Jul 19, 2010
As the thread title , so what went wrong down here?

I'm on Nikon d5000 and with SB 700. Few months back , my flash giving me weird problems like can't on after using a new battery .
And this time round it can't trigger the flash.

Send to NSC for service as it under warranty . Collected the flash after a week and I went home and I tried its still the same :(:(
The flash didnt trigger at all .

so which one is at the fault ?

Why didn't you bring your camera and lens to NSC when you went to collect your flash. At the very least, you would be able to test and if there is a problem, get the technician to attend to you. Over here, without us having a chance to even seen the camera or the flash, we are simply 2nd guessing.

If you camera and your flash is working, when you mount it and set to ETTL mode, you should be able to see relevant information like the zoom range of your lens, and how far the flash is able to reach when it is being triggered. If something is wrong, you will notice that it is not displaying the right information. There are many reasons why the system is not working and making us guess what it is by listing them out will add to your woes instead of being helpful.

As the thread title , so what went wrong down here?

I'm on Nikon d5000 and with SB 700. Few months back , my flash giving me weird problems like can't on after using a new battery .
And this time round it can't trigger the flash.

Send to NSC for service as it under warranty . Collected the flash after a week and I went home and I tried its still the same :(:(
The flash didnt trigger at all .

so which one is at the fault ?

Last edited:
Why didn't you bring your camera and lens to NSC when you went to collect your flash. At the very least, you would be able to test and if there is a problem, get the technician to attend to you. Over here, without us having a chance to even seen the camera or the flash, we are simply 2nd guessing.

Ahhh sucks. Need to get down again :(

hows the procedure if my camera warranty over liao ?

Try change another set of batteries.

Try change another set of batteries.

change already.

now tried it again ; flash trigger.

sometimes flash trigger sometimes dont

Maybe you can try cleaning the hotshoe with some contact cleaner and try again?
I doubt it will solve the problem, but no harm trying.

it could be the contact issue, like dirty hotshoe contact, or contact lose

it is advisable to bring camera together for checking, so the technician able to identify what is the cause.

change already.

now tried it again ; flash trigger.

sometimes flash trigger sometimes dont

Note that flash had a certain time needed for recycling, so after the first flash, there might be a couple of seconds that the flash cannot be trigger again (depending on flash and the power output).

Try using a set of fully charged (rechargeable) batteries and test.

Simple things that can be tried at home:

- use new or freshly-charged set of batteries for the flash and camera, and test
- clean the contacts on both the flash and the camera hotshoe.

if both these fail to rectify the problem, then best to bring both cam and flash down to service centre to have them take a look.

Own Flash + Own body = Own Flash works?
Own Flash + Friend's body = Own Flash works?
Friend's Flash + Own Body = Friend's Flash works?

So problem identified! Go NSC...

if NSC can't find anything wrong with the flash, it probably is the hotshoe contact points