What Wacom tablet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

IainB

Dec 16, 2004
I'm considering buying a Wacom tablet for PS. I would like some feedback from any users on whether to go for the Wacom Graphire3 or the Intuos3 tablet.

if no budget limit go for intuos3 ;p

ok serious now.. graphire3 only has the drawing area. intuos3 got some customizable buttons. the pen also look better - got 3 type of nibs if i recall. one of the models even got a mouse.

guess if you think you need those extra stuff then get the intuos3. if not graphire3 should do fine.

actually graphire also have a mouse, but intuos gives a puck, which is the so called mouse with pinpoint accuracy...

also, intuos have bigger drawing area than graphire (depends on model, graphire only have 1 size)

den intuos have higher sensitivity, but depends if u really need that anot.

what puck? the round thing is the pen stand. mouse seems to be optional although i distinctly remember one of the models including a mouse. maybe its the intuos2 range. also graphire3 got 2 sizes and intuos3 got 3 sizes.

http://www.wacom.com/graphire/4x5.cfm
Graphire3 4x5 Pen Tablet, Pen, Pen Stand, and Mouse.

http://www.wacom.com/graphire/6x8.cfm
Graphire3 6x8 Pen Tablet, Pen, Pen Stand, and Mouse.

think they renamed puck to common name mouse, previously those 'mouse' you see on tablets are called puck... if i remember correctly...

not sure about this, i also notice that the graphire 3 does not have a mouse on the box.

but the graphire 1/2 comes with it. you may request for a box set with the mouse. if you ask me, the mouse on the graphire is plain useless, cos it works more like a mouse on mouse pad. really useless, i threw dunno where for both the 1 & 2 version. a puck is only useful on a big drawing area. but this is a mouse, so the usage is limited, accuracy is non existence...

i agree about the mouse. very restrictive to have to use it on the tablet only. prefer to use my existing mouse. but the intuos3 does look tempting. ;p

I'm using the original Graphire... it's nice to have a tablet for some Photoshop work, but I was hesitant to spend so much money for a Intuos. So in the end I got the Graphire, which is great value for basic work that a mouse cannot accomplish. No regrets... I don't need the extra precision or functions of the Intuos... not that much of an artist...

It really depends on yourself... whether you need the extras that Intuos offer.

Intuos 3 has double the resolution of the Intuos 2 (5080 lpi) and comes with 3 interchangable nibs - standard, stroke and felt. And then there's the ExpressKeys and Touch Strips at the side of the working area which is supposedly to increase productivity lah... Other than those, reporting rate, tilt sensitivity and pressure levels all the same from Intuos 2.
Specs aside, the Intuos 3 actually feels very smooth in use. Can feel the difference from Intuos 2.

Basically, know what you want and buy what you need. If you just doing some editing in photoshop... I believe Graphire 3 should suffice. Unless you're really into painting, illustration, then you need the really smooth gradations that Intuos 2, 3 can offer.

Price wise @ 6x8", Graphire 3 is about S$229, Intuos 2 about S$360 and Intuos 3 at about S$440. Difference a lot so think carefully. In fact... I've been spending like 1-2 months thinking about which model to buy... cause I do both photo editing and illustrations. >.<

I appreciate the input. I'll check out the features of each more closely, but from what I hear the Graphire may be just the thing for photo editing. I'm not into art. I'd rather put the extra $$ towards some nice glass.

Amekaze said:
Price wise @ 6x8", Graphire 3 is about S$229, Intuos 2 about S$360 and Intuos 3 at about S$440. Difference a lot so think carefully. In fact... I've been spending like 1-2 months thinking about which model to buy... cause I do both photo editing and illustrations. >.<

I am also looking at a pen and tablet to do my DI and touchups... May I know where are the places you would recommand to get the above. The intuos 2 seems to be what I am looking for. :) Painting with a mouse is painful!

Another thing I need to know is will the pen conflict with my mouse.. I am using a Logitech 510 and a Razor Diamondback at the moment...

Zplus said:
I am also looking at a pen and tablet to do my DI and touchups... May I know where are the places you would recommand to get the above. The intuos 2 seems to be what I am looking for. :) Painting with a mouse is painful!

Another thing I need to know is will the pen conflict with my mouse.. I am using a Logitech 510 and a Razor Diamondback at the moment...

So far... the only place I know cheapest is Sim Lim Square. One shop is Skylet and the other is this game shop (can't remember name) that has like 4 computers outside that let people play games one (it's at level 4 or 5).

Of course... if you can wait... wait for COMEX 2005 and other events that Wacom will appear. They usually have good promotions (Wacom @ SITEX 2004 was a disappointment though). Intuos 2 (6x8") was going for only S$299 during COMEX 2004. But after SITEX 2004, I have a feeling they are not going to have promotions for Intuos 2 anymore.

I'm also looking for cheap lobang!!! But can't find leh... and Wacom never drop their prices. Intuos 2 how many donkey years old liao still about the same price as it was just released. Even the introduction of Intuos 3 never push it's price down. :angry:

As for conflicts with mouse I haven't heard of such issues. I've used Intuos 2 and Graphire 3 at home before and it doesn't conflict with my Logitech MX700. Anyway I don't think there are such problems cause once the pen is away from the tablet it's only your mouse left in control.
Unless you leave your pen lying on the tablet's working area and then you move your mouse (or control both at the same time) then both will be fighting for control lor. And in the end it's the tablet pen that wins. :blah:

Just to add... actually working size of the tablet isn't much of a factor anywayz... Unless you're working at HUGE resolutions. I used to try out my friends'/school's 6x8" tablets and think that they are the just nice size but after trying out my friend's 4x5", it seems to work for me too (1 day of trying so far).

Amekaze said:
Intuos 3 has double the resolution of the Intuos 2 (5080 lpi) and comes with 3 interchangable nibs - standard, stroke and felt. And then there's the ExpressKeys and Touch Strips at the side of the working area which is supposedly to increase productivity lah... Other than those, reporting rate, tilt sensitivity and pressure levels all the same from Intuos 2.
Specs aside, the Intuos 3 actually feels very smooth in use. Can feel the difference from Intuos 2.

Basically, know what you want and buy what you need. If you just doing some editing in photoshop... I believe Graphire 3 should suffice. Unless you're really into painting, illustration, then you need the really smooth gradations that Intuos 2, 3 can offer.

Thanks, so between a used Intuos 2 6x8 and new Graphire 3 6x8, which is a better choice assuming prices are similar?

Regards
CK

I happen to called up Tec Drome@SLS lvl 5 to enqiure yesterday. They quoted me $129 for the graphire 4 x 5 model. But forget to ask if it is the ver 2 or 3

ckiang said:
Thanks, so between a used Intuos 2 6x8 and new Graphire 3 6x8, which is a better choice assuming prices are similar?

Regards
CK

Used and new? Hmmm... If I'm not wrong warranty here is 1 year... so if you get the used Intuos 2 and it lasts you for more than a year... you got a good deal lor.

Intuos 2 has 2540lpi, 1024 levels of pressure, 200 points per second report rate compared to Graphire 3's 2032lpi and 512 levels of pressure and 100pps. Also, the Intuos 2 has 60 levels pen tilt support while the Graphire 3 has none. Honestly... if I were you I will find it really hard to decide.

By the way, I've heard that the tablet pen very easy to spoil... don't know if it's true... but nevertheless... the tablet pen is expensive! Not sure about exact price but I think is S$100+. Anyone knows? If you do get the used tablet... do take note of the pen's condition.

If only I got the money sia... then can straight away go for the Intuos 3 6x8"... still think so much for what :confused:

This would be a good link for comparison across the 3 models.
http://www.wacom.com.sg/faq/img/intuos_Graphire.pdf

Tablet pen is fairly robust, my artzII pad lasting 8 years now. I'd rather get the Intuos2, course i'm eyeing the 12x18 one :p. Intuos3 seems a bit too small and i prefer the individual function mapping rather than having to chord buttons

My Intuos2 comes with a 4D mouse too. It's the 9 X 12 one. Still available at most shops in Sim Lim and Funan.

Cheers,

MoriMori said:
Tablet pen is fairly robust, my artzII pad lasting 8 years now. I'd rather get the Intuos2, course i'm eyeing the 12x18 one :p. Intuos3 seems a bit too small and i prefer the individual function mapping rather than having to chord buttons
Wow wow... ArtzII is like so old. And by the way... i still see ArtzII selling at Sim Lim. :bigeyes: Intuos3 never produce the bigger sizes. You work at huge resolutions? Care to share what's the diff between the the small to big sizes? Would like to hear from a real user. :)

benny said:
My Intuos2 comes with a 4D mouse too. It's the 9 X 12 one. Still available at most shops in Sim Lim and Funan.

Cheers,
yep that's right... only the bigger sizes come with the 4D mouse. 4x5" and 6x8" dont' have de. Board so small already put mouse lagi no space. :blah: Anyway what exactly is the mouse for huh?

Status
Not open for further replies.