what type of metering do you prefer ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

drtokina

Deregistered
Jan 24, 2006
hi to all CS,

from my discussion with professional photgraphers....

there's a view that centre metering is th ebest...

hmmmm .....i prefer spot metering which many says is unsuitable....

hmmmm.

any views?

tq:)

drtokina said:
hi to all CS,

from my discussion with professional photgraphers....

there's a view that centre metering is th ebest...

hmmmm .....i prefer spot metering which many says is unsuitable....

hmmmm.

any views?

tq:)

different occasion different metering...

Spotmetering anytime!

Unsuitable for what? Well, maybe unsuitable for strobes.

Centre/Matrix/Evaluative/etc. when

1 I photograph with my eyes closed, and

2 chose to surrender my brains to the chip!

Hmmm :think: .

Question like this also for kopitiam ah...? I though is more suitable for general or newbie forums.

Regards,
Arto.

Or put in short, fit for the trash bin.

Nuff said. Someone who dares to put a 'dr' in his nick and 'speaks to professional photographer' and still ask abt metering modes ought to be sent to the firing squad there and then.

To this. This thread and threadstarter deserves a _|_

jsbn said:
Or put in short, fit for the trash bin.

Nuff said. Someone who dares to put a 'dr' in his nick and 'speaks to professional photographer' and still ask abt metering modes ought to be sent to the firing squad there and then.

To this. This thread and threadstarter deserves a _|_
Hahaha...

Remember: ProfDr****? :bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

Regards,
Arto.

when I'm in lab I prefer the HP 34401A Multimeter, the mode I use depends on the task at hand and like DCA said, the occasion. When I'm outdoors, I prefer a fluke 177 meter.

Hope it helps.

yanyewkay said:
when I'm in lab I prefer the HP 34401A Multimeter, the mode I use depends on the task at hand and like DCA said, the occasion. When I'm outdoors, I prefer a fluke 177 meter.

Hope it helps.
Tok Kok Pro :thumbsup:

:bsmilie:

Artosoft said:
Hahaha...

Remember: ProfDr****? :bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

Regards,
Arto.
Its ppl like these dat helps u destress from time to time. :)

espn said:
Tok Kok Pro :thumbsup:

:bsmilie:
Ok.. back to topic.. no tok kok liao.

Maybe their cams didn't have SPOT METERING? ;p :bsmilie:

I don't think spot metering is useful in every situation. I was supervising some students doing night photography last night and one who is doing an online course (in Exposure and 'RAW' imaging) and being told to spot meter everything was getting seriously underexposed photographs. I think it is difficult to choose mid-tone grey areas at night and when the procedure is time-consuming for those inexperienced, the light has changed before the shot taken. I quickly set the camera back to evaluative metering, took the shot, which was almost perfectly exposed.

The metering systems in cameras do a good job IMO. That is not to say that the chip replaces knowledge of metering so that you can anticipate when the camera is going to get it wrong.

What is metering ??? :dunno:

End of day is the images count ... they dun care what multimeter you used .... :bsmilie:

Phildate said:
I don't think spot metering is useful in every situation. I was supervising some students doing night photography last night and one who is doing an online course (in Exposure and 'RAW' imaging) and being told to spot meter everything was getting seriously underexposed photographs. I think it is difficult to choose mid-tone grey areas at night and when the procedure is time-consuming for those inexperienced, the light has changed before the shot taken. I quickly set the camera back to evaluative metering, took the shot, which was almost perfectly exposed.

The metering systems in cameras do a good job IMO. That is not to say that the chip replaces knowledge of metering so that you can anticipate when the camera is going to get it wrong.

I will suggest that this student or his teacher does not know how to use the spotmeter in night photography.

It is not the fault of spotmeters. It is the fault of the users.

KNIGHT ONG said:
What is metering ??? :dunno:

End of day is the images count ... they dun care what multimeter you used .... :bsmilie:

Ah, yes.

It is the images that count, and if surrendering your brain to the computer chips will achieve that, it certainly is a workable solution.

I know one meter is equal to 100 centimetres, and 1 centimetre is equal to 10 millimetres etc..
But I'm still using imperial, not very good in metric, when in term of photography.
it is easier for me to calculate like one piece of 20” by 24” can cut into 4 pieces of 8" by 10”, and one piece of 8” by 10” can cut into four pieces of 4” by 5” etc...

Threadstarter always start thread and disappear.:dunno:

That's is he/she/it's style, open a can of worms already and run away.

laughing you all from far far away, so why take him/her/it so serious?

you can take c@ck, or sh1t here, who cares?

catchlights said:
That's is he/she/it's style, open a can of worms already and run away.

laughing you all from far far away, so why take him/her/it so serious?

you can take c@ck, or sh1t here, who cares?

Personally I think if there is some merit in the question, I don't really care if the TS disappears. If the discussion allows us to clarify why and how we do things, it would be useful anyway.

student said:
Personally I think if there is some merit in the question, I don't really care if the TS disappears. If the discussion allows us to clarify why and how we do things, it would be useful anyway.
Maybe you are right about this thread, but for the past records, the TS like to start some very controversial discussions and let CSers “hood” (hockkian) each other.
So why you will see people want to “neh” (hockkian) to the TS now. :bsmilie:

catchlights said:
Maybe you are right about this thread, but for the past records, the TS like to start some very controversial discussions and let CSers “hood” (hockkian) each other.
So why you will see people want to “neh” (hockkian) to the TS now. :bsmilie:

Oh! OK! I understand.

Status
Not open for further replies.