What type of camera bag suitable for daily use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wongcc

Jun 29, 2007
I have a bagpack for my gear but found that it is too troublesome and heavy to carry during vacation.
Shoulder type of camera bag found to be more convinient; especially taking in/ out of camera and changing lens.

Can anyone can share your experience what type of camera bag suitable for me? :D

Equipment
Camera body : 50D
Lens : 70~200mm F/2.8 and 17~50mm F/2.8
Flash : 580EXII
Tripod : weigth approx. 1.8kg
Some loose acc. such as battery, memory cards, etc.

I used to use a shoulder sling bag, but switch to a lowepro slingshot 200.
It should fit your equipments.

It is the 1 strap type-backpack, and it is easy to swing to the front to access the equipments.

I have a bagpack for my gear but found that it is too troublesome and heavy to carry during vacation.
Shoulder type of camera bag found to be more convinient; especially taking in/ out of camera and changing lens.

Can anyone can share your experience what type of camera bag suitable for me? :D

Equipment
Camera body : 50D
Lens : 70~200mm F/2.8 and 17~50mm F/2.8
Flash : 580EXII
Tripod : weigth approx. 1.8kg
Some loose acc. such as battery, memory cards, etc.

for the amt of gear u want to bring (assuming u're bringing everything u have there), i could only recommend backpack and not shoulder bags. Ur gear is pretty heavy, somemore u got tripod. If u are just bringing ur 17-50, 50d, loose items and a flash perhaps, u can consider nat geo 2345. Nice shoulder bag for travelling.

I suggest the Crumpler 7 Million Dollar.
Nice to see, nice to touch and your gears are easily accessible.
Also comes with many colours~

Lugging that gear you listed around an entire day, will be pretty tiring if you use a shoulder bag. If the area, i'm going to isn't too crowded or cramped, I'll choose a backpack over a shoulder bag. Must be age catching up to me...

FOr a daily bag when i bring my camera stuff around i use Crumpler's:the complete seed which would fit really nicely for everything including my tripod with some extra space

Thanks for your forum. I like to take photographs. All types of photographs. My favorite is landscape.

a larger series Lowepro Toploader with 1 or 2 Slip Pouches attached to the side should do nicely

a larger series Lowepro Toploader with 1 or 2 Slip Pouches attached to the side should do nicely

Sorry TS, I OT a little here, since ed9119 mentioned the Toploader which I have long eyed. Can the Lowepro Toploader hold a 5D2 gripped with 70-200 f/2.8, with side pouch for 24-70 f/2.8 and another side pouch for 16-35 f/2.8 Mk2? (Is that asking for too much?)
Thanks.

for daily usage i think the crumpler 7MDH and the hadley pro is ok.

i use the hadley pro and my friend uses the 7MDH,

with gears in it still got space for files, and other stuff.

Sorry TS, I OT a little here, since ed9119 mentioned the Toploader which I have long eyed. Can the Lowepro Toploader hold a 5D2 gripped with 70-200 f/2.8, with side pouch for 24-70 f/2.8 and another side pouch for 16-35 f/2.8 Mk2? (Is that asking for too much?)
Thanks.

Sorry TS, I OT OT a little here to answer limwhow's query.
limwhow, u will need a Lowepro Toploader 75 AW or the Toploader Pro 75 AW to hold the gear you mentioned above. However, I think you could probably attach at most 1 side pouch. Not that the Toploader is not capable but the whole bunch would be a little hard to manage.

Last edited:
Actually the 'thorn' in your set-up seems to be the tripod. For the camera, lens and smaller accessories, a Lowepro Nova 190 AW should be ok. However, if you intend to carry your tripod everywhere you go, then a bigger backpack may be the only choice apart from slinging an additional tripod bag. I usually travel with 2 camera bags, a big one which I put everything inside and carry into the plane cabin and a smaller one stuffed inside my check-in luggage. Then depends on the plan for the day, I may carry the big, the small or both. The big one is capable of carrying the tripod but of course the tripod gets checked-in with the luggage during the flight :) I carry the Toploader as the small bag.

Sorry TS, I OT OT a little here to answer limwhow's query.
limwhow, u will need a Lowepro Toploader 75 AW or the Toploader Pro 75 AW to hold the gear you mentioned above. However, I think you could probably attach at most 1 side pouch. Not that the Toploader is not capable but the whole bunch would be a little hard to manage.

Hi SK1968, thank you for your recommendation of the Toploader Pro 75 AW. I just went down to Cathay Photo today afternoon looking for that. Suay Suay no stock. But I found the Lowepro Outback 200. I think it is newly released. Wow, came with two long lens pouches, and the central bag is just like the Toploader Pro 75, can put in a 5D2 gripped with 70-200. Served my purpose well. And some more the price is better than the Toploader. So got it. And got very happy using it this evening!
I think can recommend to lots of people who like to walk around cos the lens pouches can be detached and it becomes like a Toploader like that.

Hi SK1968, thank you for your recommendation of the Toploader Pro 75 AW. I just went down to Cathay Photo today afternoon looking for that. Suay Suay no stock. But I found the Lowepro Outback 200. I think it is newly released. Wow, came with two long lens pouches, and the central bag is just like the Toploader Pro 75, can put in a 5D2 gripped with 70-200. Served my purpose well. And some more the price is better than the Toploader. So got it. And got very happy using it this evening!
I think can recommend to lots of people who like to walk around cos the lens pouches can be detached and it becomes like a Toploader like that.

Really ? Alamak, why didn't it come out earlier ? :( Saw the pic, quite big but the plus is the modular design. How much did it cost you, can PM me ?

Really ? Alamak, why didn't it come out earlier ? :( Saw the pic, quite big but the plus is the modular design. How much did it cost you, can PM me ?
Sure! PM-ed you already. You can go and try it out. I find it really not bad.
The Inverse is actually also good but just that it cannot fit my long lens properly. Otherwise that would have been good cos it has a couple of belts below for tripod.

Status
Not open for further replies.