What tripod to get?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pandora

May 15, 2002
Visit site
I was using an old tripod (for the first time) over the weekend only to realise that it isn't tall enough for my liking. Even at maximum height, I had to hunch my back most of the time (I stand at 1.62m), which made it physically tough for me. And certainly, it isn't tall enough to focus on high objects! I had a hard time trying to capture the image of JBP waterfall with it. :(

So I'm considering buying a new tripod, but am clueless how to go about choosing and what kind of features I should look out for. Does brand really matter?

Can someone please give me an idea what is suitable for my F80? Ideally, it shouldn't be too cumbersome to set up; and easy to attach and remove camera from tripod. If I'm not asking for too much, it should be able to allow me to attach the camera upside down at the bottom for low-angle shots. ;p

Originally posted by Pandora
I was using an old tripod (for the first time) over the weekend only to realise that it isn't tall enough for my liking. Even at maximum height, I had to hunch my back most of the time (I stand at 1.62m), which made it physically tough for me. And certainly, it isn't tall enough to focus on high objects! I had a hard time trying to capture the image of JBP waterfall with it. :(

So I'm considering buying a new tripod, but am clueless how to go about choosing and what kind of features I should look out for. Does brand really matter?

Can someone please give me an idea what is suitable for my F80? Ideally, it shouldn't be too cumbersome to set up; and easy to attach and remove camera from tripod. If I'm not asking for too much, it should be able to allow me to attach the camera upside down at the bottom for low-angle shots. ;p

Try Manfrotto 190D or 190 Pro (which can let you mount the centre column horizontally). Think it's about $150 for the black pro version. Then get something like the 352RC head for $55 or so. Both can go very low on the ground, without having to mount your camera upside down.

If you want something taller than 1.8m when fully extended, try the 055 series.

Regards
CK

Originally posted by ckiang

If you want something taller than 1.8m when fully extended, try the 055 series.

Hi ckiang,

Thanks for the suggestion, but it is a little too expensive to me at the moment. I was looking at something close to 100 bucks, inclusive of pan-and-tilt head.

A silly newbie question: How to use a tripod that is taller than me (when fully extended) when it is impossible to see the viewfinder at that height?

Hi ckiang,

Thanks for the suggestion, but it is a little too expensive to me at the moment. I was looking at something close to 100 bucks, inclusive of pan-and-tilt head.

A silly newbie question: How to use a tripod that is taller than me (when fully extended) when it is impossible to see the viewfinder at that height?

There's something called a stool. :)

For your budget, you might also want to try the Slik 8000 or something like that. Not too familiar with them, but they do seem quite popular.

Regards
CK

Originally posted by ckiang

There's something called a stool. :)
*imagining lugging camera body, lenses, tripod and a foldable stool all over*

For that, I'll need wheeled luggage - a la air stewardess. :bsmilie:

Other suggestions other than ckiang's?

My wallet is suffering from anorexia ...

Slik 8000 is just nice for your budget. In fact, its well within your budget. Just make sure that if you can, get one of the regulars here to go wif you so that you won't run the risk of being over-charged.

Alternatively, you can look for a 2nd hand tripod.

As to how to use a tripod taller than yourself :p
Simply dun extend to full height lar.....haha.

By the way, forgot to mention one other adv. of SLIK 8000 (or is it SLIK 8800...hmm... can't remember wht's the number liao).

This tripod is very light. Just nice for you to carry around.

Originally posted by Shadus
Just make sure that if you can, get one of the regulars here to go wif you so that you won't run the risk of being over-charged.
Hmm... do you mean a regular like yourself? ;p

:bsmilie: If the tripod can't be maximised, might as well get a shorter one ...

By the way, forgot to mention one other adv. of SLIK 8000 (or is it SLIK 8800...hmm... can't remember wht's the number liao).

If I'm not wrong, its SLIK U8000 right? I've just done a search on the net for the specs ... doesn't tell me if it is capable of doing low-angle shots.

Any SLIK U8000 users here?

Hmm... do you mean a regular like yourself? ;p

:bsmilie: If the tripod can't be maximised, might as well get a shorter one ...

Nay, the moderator of Newbie corner is a 'regular'. Ask him and he'll get you the best price in singapore :p

Erm...from experience, tht's not very true. You'll need a tripod tht's slightly taller than your eye lvl. This is v. useful when u take pics on uneven terrain when some legs are fully extended and some are not.

If I'm not wrong, its SLIK U8000 right? I've just done a search on the net for the specs ... doesn't tell me if it is capable of doing low-angle shots.

Any SLIK U8000 users here?

heh, I dun think these SLIK tripods can go too low. Anyway, you can't hv it cheap & yet wif all features rite? :D

Perhaps you can source for a 2nd hand Manfrotto 190. Then again, kinda tough as everyone seems to hang on to this one.

Nay, the moderator of Newbie corner is a 'regular'. Ask him and he'll get you the best price in singapore :p
Core team member not regular? :eek:

Erm...from experience, tht's not very true. You'll need a tripod tht's slightly taller than your eye lvl. This is v. useful when u take pics on uneven terrain when some legs are fully extended and some are not.
I see ... Point taken!

heh, I dun think these SLIK tripods can go too low. Anyway, you can't hv it cheap & yet wif all features rite? :D

Perhaps you can source for a 2nd hand Manfrotto 190. Then again, kinda tough as everyone seems to hang on to this one.

Sigh, I can't have my cake and eat it can I?! (though I don't see why not)

Seems that there are only two options out:
1) just settle for a cheap tripod to solve the height problem
2) tahan with the present one (and look enviously at others taking pictures with ease with their taller tripods) to save up for a Manfrotto.

Incidentally, Manfrotto will have a booth at BroadcastAsia ... I wonder what they will showcase!

hey pandora, i might have something which suits your needs/budget. check your PM pls... :D

Sigh, I can't have my cake and eat it can I?! (though I don't see why not)

Seems that there are only two options out:
1) just settle for a cheap tripod to solve the height problem
2) tahan with the present one (and look enviously at others taking pictures with ease with their taller tripods) to save up for a Manfrotto.

Incidentally, Manfrotto will have a booth at BroadcastAsia ... I wonder what they will showcase!

Probably the video tripods, video fluid-heads, light booms, etc. :)

Regards
CK

Originally posted by firefox13
hey pandora, i might have something which suits your needs/budget. check your PM pls... :D

Thanks! Just replied :)

I am using a Slik U8000 and i just love it... cos my previous old one was not so stable and the height is a bit short..
the Slik U8000 is great...u can get it at CP for $50+

Status
Not open for further replies.