What tripod to buy?


Status
Not open for further replies.
#1
I broke my tripod during my recent trip to Melbourne & now I'm looking for a new one :cry:

Which brand is better? Manfrotto or Slik? I need a lightweight & compact one for travelling purposes. It must be able to hold my Minolta 404si + Tamron 28-200 lens. Also, it must be low enough for my macro shots. My budget is abt $100.

I'm actually considering the Manfrotto 190 series tripod, but would like to ask around for other recommendations. What is the RRP for this series? I don't mind getting a 2nd hand one fr CS too.

TIA :)
 

denniskee

Senior Member
Oct 26, 2003
5,468
2
0
bukit batok
Visit site
#2
There are alots of threads in CS, try looking thru them.

Anyway, you will find 190pro more usefull than other 190 series as the centre pole can be mounted horizontally. Should be less than $150 for the black ones.
 

mpenza

Senior Member
Jan 18, 2002
12,938
0
0
Singapore
www.instagram.com
#3
you need to get a separate head with the 190 series.

maybe the Slik Sprint Pro GM? relatively cheap (~$80) and light (<1kg) and should be good enough to hold your setup (but not a lot more).
 

Garion

Senior Member
Nov 26, 2002
5,528
0
0
44
West side of S'pore
Visit site
#5
Hi Vivien,

If your priority is lightweight and compact, the Slik Sprint Pro GM is probably the one which fits the bill. As mpenza had mentioned, its just sufficient enuff to take your mentioned load, prolly not any more. It can't go very low too for macro shots.

On the other hand if you don't mind the additional weight (~2.2kg) & size, and the need to factor in an additonal ballhead of your choice, the Manfrotto 190ProB is a good, solid tripod. The centre post can be mounted horizontally and the legs can go low to the ground for macro shots. For ur setup, a good head to couple with it would be the Manfrotto 486 RC2 ballhead (~$80). Total cost shld be ~$200+.

Hope this helps...
 

sehsuan

Deregistered
Dec 12, 2002
6,598
0
0
38
Singapore
www.sportsshooter.com
#6
vivien, how did you manage to break your tripod? hardcore photographer... :D

oh, i must add that the sprint pro gm can tahan the weight of my 10D + 70-200 f/2.8 at full leg extension, no center column extension WITH the strap wound around my wrist, of course! obviously, godzilla could rock my cam over far too easily...
 

#7
slik sprint pro gm is really light and compact...bought mine for S$85 last feb... the manfrotto 190 series, is also a good choice, say if you decide to buy heavy lenses in the future or if you decide to change your setup. (heavier setup that is...)

if you are still undecided... bring your stuffs in CP and try their tripods....you will defenitely find one that will suit your taste and budget..
 

Oct 26, 2002
228
0
0
Visit site
#8
Actually, the sprint pro GM can go very low, but might not be as convenient as those with horizontally mounted main center post. u can either invert the center post, or spread the tripod legs to maximum and unscrew the lower section of the center post.

with the 2nd option, the base of ur cam shld be juz ard 20cm off the ground (with the provided ball head).

if u r concerned abt max height reach, the GM is not a good choice as it is not advisable to extend the 3rd section (thinnest). flimsy. also, the attached ballhead is no good for even tele-zoom lenses. used it with a 75-300mm and nearly got heartattack once! so oni used it for digicam n lighter manual focus cam.

in other words, get the manfrotto! ;p
 

Oct 26, 2002
228
0
0
Visit site
#9
sehsuan said:
oh, i must add that the sprint pro gm can tahan the weight of my 10D + 70-200 f/2.8 at full leg extension, no center column extension WITH the strap wound around my wrist, of course! obviously, godzilla could rock my cam over far too easily...
hi, sehsuan! did u change the original ballhead from slik? was thinking if i could change it to a friendlier one. any recommendations? :)
 

jeff49er

Senior Member
Apr 11, 2003
1,977
0
0
48
Punggol Park
#10
vivientan said:
I broke my tripod during my recent trip to Melbourne & now I'm looking for a new one :cry:

Which brand is better? Manfrotto or Slik? I need a lightweight & compact one for travelling purposes. It must be able to hold my Minolta 404si + Tamron 28-200 lens. Also, it must be low enough for my macro shots. My budget is abt $100.

I'm actually considering the Manfrotto 190 series tripod, but would like to ask around for other recommendations. What is the RRP for this series? I don't mind getting a 2nd hand one fr CS too.

TIA :)
Broke the tripod in Melbourne? Doesnt sound good.......
 

sehsuan

Deregistered
Dec 12, 2002
6,598
0
0
38
Singapore
www.sportsshooter.com
#11
nah. same old lightweight ballhead that comes with the tripod. but that's the main reason why i was having the strap wound around my wrist... JUST IN CASE :D
 

#13
sehsuan said:
vivien, how did you manage to break your tripod? hardcore photographer... :D

oh, i must add that the sprint pro gm can tahan the weight of my 10D + 70-200 f/2.8 at full leg extension, no center column extension WITH the strap wound around my wrist, of course! obviously, godzilla could rock my cam over far too easily...
Haha :bsmilie: I'm surprised too myself. Just to clarify, i didn't ridiculously break it into 2. I over-tightened the handle (erm, dunno if that's the term for it) and it came loose while shooting some night scenes. Luckily it was a really cheap one which someone gave me as a gift.
 

nokin

New Member
Dec 18, 2003
267
0
0
Singapore
Visit site
#14
Looks like the Slik Sprint Pro GM is highly recommended as a lightweight compact tripod. But what about the U9000? How is this model compared to the Sprint Pro?
Can someone who is familiar with these 2 models please enlighten. I'm also looking for a lightweight, easy to carry around tripod.

Thanks
 

smallaperture

Senior Member
Jan 5, 2004
2,441
0
0
Catchment Area
#15
I am using the SLIK sprint Pro. It's real light, convenient and comes with a bag. Only thing is that it doesn't come with a quick release. so, I got a separate QR from CP for something like 20 bucks or so. Like some of the others have said, got to be careful with it, as the tripod is real very, very light. One way to stabilise it is to hand your bag over it to have some weight over it.

Not quite suitable for heavier lenses due to vibration caused by mirror recoil. Few amateur cams have got mirror lock-up. Perhaps, one tripod for local use and another light one for travel. I have found one inexpensive, heavy duty tripod that is made in China, known as Akarui or Steinzeisser - gray in colour, 3 section legs with ball head. Get the Akarui from CP - good for "rough" use, can take hard knocks, even use it to defend yourself! Afterall, it cost about 100 bucks. Probably a knock-off from the likes of Manfrotto or Gitzo.
 

sehsuan

Deregistered
Dec 12, 2002
6,598
0
0
38
Singapore
www.sportsshooter.com
#16
vivientan said:
Haha :bsmilie: I'm surprised too myself. Just to clarify, i didn't ridiculously break it into 2. I over-tightened the handle (erm, dunno if that's the term for it) and it came loose while shooting some night scenes. Luckily it was a really cheap one which someone gave me as a gift.
someone really *muscle* ah, dont pray pray! :D
 

patch17

New Member
Jun 30, 2003
728
0
0
here and there
#17
not too sure if they still got it, but Slik Able 300Dx at MS Colour AMK is going for about $100. (should be able to handle your set-up with ease)
 

mpenza

Senior Member
Jan 18, 2002
12,938
0
0
Singapore
www.instagram.com
#18
yellow_kiwi said:
hi, sehsuan! did u change the original ballhead from slik? was thinking if i could change it to a friendlier one. any recommendations? :)
I changed mine from the slik one to Kaiser Small Pro Ballhead that is still light (~300g) and offers horizontal panning in addition to the usual knob. I use the Manfrotto 323 QR on the kaiser as it has no quick release. You could probably use any of the Manfrotto ballheads on the tripod. I'm not too sure if a heavy ballhead is a good idea but it may help stabilise the entire tripod ;p
 

ratboy

New Member
Sep 10, 2002
661
0
0
www.singnet.com.sg
#19
Hi

If money no object,
Cathay has this real cute Gitzo tripod...
looks like a regular Gitzo, just very small
the tabletop kind, that you can put into your pocket

Lam
 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom