what tripod to buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

phatwell83

May 10, 2009
Cebu
good day,

I'm planning to buy a tripod this weekend, need help in choosing 1.
I'm planning to buy the VELBON CX-888. is that an OK tripod?

if u have other suggestion pls post... if u know also the price pls include the price..

Hoping you could help... thank you...

good day,

if u have other suggestion pls post... if u know also the price pls include the price..

I did recommend Manfrotto 7302 YB, retailing at S$190? :) However, like all in the posts, you need to know what kind of set-up and so forth.... Cheers...

Actually, the choice for branded tripods with a budget is not as many as you think. Yes, there are MANY if you visit stores but if you have a budget in mind and know more of less the features you looking for... not really. I'd recommend, in order of value for money, in my opinion of course, Velbon, Slik, Gitzo, Vanguard and Manfrotto.

The CF series of Velbon is very similar to Slik but more affordable with no compromise. Gitzo, needless to say but expensive. Vanguard is quite a hit which many don't seem to see but it seems to be a better alternative to the overly-mentioned, over-rated and infamous Manfrotto. But these starts from about $200 and without a head with the exception of Vanguard which has a decent ballhead. Before I go further... what's your budget for a tripod and head?

Of course, there are the knock-offs like Benro, Fancier....err, Tripodo, sorry this brand name cracks me up LOL.

Last edited:
your weight of your cam is critical.

If you end up with ballhead, make sure it is strong enough to hold in position when you do portrait perspective shoot.

Realised my problem when tried positon my cam to portrait shot, cam was too heavy for the ball head to hold its position correctly.

:bsmilie:i remember seeing another similar one by Catchlight on which batt to use...:bsmilie:

Rather sad that people need to do this. Definitely impolite towards all those members you have contributed content and information in numerous guides and price lists.

Not Velbon. Gitzo+Arca Swiss Ball head. Benro if lower budget.

Last edited:
Benro if lower budget.

Do try before buying at Benphoto as some people including myself feel that the Benro A-series feel quite flimsy. They are much lighter than Sliks though

good day,

Like what was mentioned, at the end of the day we need to consider:
1. What's the weight of your current load, and what do you foresee your future load on the tripod to be? You may have a 3.5kg set up now. But soon one day, you find that with accessories & telephoto lens it goes up to 5.5kg... So a max 5kg tripod & head would not be wise. Therefore, consider a tripod & head that will last you for the foreseeable future.
2. Portablility. If travelling is your criteria, then light weight is the key.
3. Of course, price lah... no need to say..

Personally I find Gitzo good. Manfrotto comes a close second (just my view). But it would be a good idea to get a ball-head which can fit Acra swiss ball type plates for future flexibility.

THANX Guys! this helps a lot...

Since im on a budget, I'm narrowing it down to either VELBON or VANGUARD...

which will be ur bet... i hope i can decide by Friday.. hahahahaha

anyways i own a canon 450d and i usually use my 55-250mm lens.

PS: special thans for REDITION and Rashkae of a detailed rply and for the links, respectively.

I reckon you'll go with Vanguard. For a $250 budget, you can get the Alta+ 264AB model which comes with a very decent magnesium alloy ballhead which also allows you to pan. I believe you'll get a bag as well.

The Velbon, I'm only familiar with the Carbon Fiber series and all of them look decent to me but for the legs itself, it's already about $395 for the 6-series which rises up to about 1.70m. Maybe the 5-series will do for you, very light and if I remember correctly, $320?... Visit this shop, K-13 Marketing, at Peninsula level 2... smack right in front of escalator. Nice chap too in the shop...

Personally, am using the Velbon NeoCarmagne 640(A) with Manfrotto 488RC2 (lil heavy though). Very similar to Slik 813 CFII. Good luck.

Last edited:
I bought my Vanguard 264+AB from K-13 Marketing too, the cheapest i found so far after my window shopping @ Funan. Good Tripod !

hallo everyone i am new here,,,
i own canon 400d, the lens is 17-85mm.
i use my camera just as hobby and family documentation.

can anyone give me recomendation for a manfrotto tripod which the price is lower that $100?
or do you have another brand to suggest?

thanks very much :)

hallo everyone i am new here,,,
i own canon 400d, the lens is 17-85mm.
i use my camera just as hobby and family documentation.

can anyone give me recomendation for a manfrotto tripod which the price is lower that $100?
or do you have another brand to suggest?

thanks very much :)

Please try to follow the links posted above. Your question is a very common one. even a search for "manfrotto" will get you many results.

Just to share, I bought a promotional price with free ballhead of the above at CP yesterday for $90 nett. Otherwise on normal times, the gorilla slr-zoom which can take up to 3kg of camera load costs $88 without ballhead. The ballhead is worth $37.

Status
Not open for further replies.