What tripod to buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JosephTang

Feb 21, 2005
Singapore
I did some quick search on tripods and I must say I am still quite confused about the different types of tripods and their functionalities. :confused:

What should I look when buying a tripod, besides stability and able to hold the weight of my camera?

Is it only restricted to brand such as Manfrotto and Gitzo?

Thanks in advance. :)

I did some quick search on tripods and I must say I am still quite confused about the different types of tripods and their functionalities. :confused:

What should I look when buying a tripod, besides stability and able to hold the weight of my camera?

Is it only restricted to brand such as Manfrotto and Gitzo?

Thanks in advance. :)
As they are trusted brands for more then 30years. others do include Slik/Velbon

Why not you go down to shop like cathay photo or TK foto and ask them about tripod advise. You are also advice to bring down your MAX camera equipment that you want to load on the tripod and test out. See, touch and feel the quality so that you can appreciate the quality of Manfrotto or even Gitzo. :)

Last edited:
Weight and size of the tripod.

If you have no idea what to buy and have not much of a budget, I always recommend getting the basic YongNuo Gitai 3section Tripod from JLphoto. My review here: http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=433241

But if you have a budget (a healthy one-- S$300 will be good), a Manfrotto 190xproB + Manfrotto 486rc2 head will be good.

Check the "Others" forum for a brief guideline on tripod selection.

Cheers,
Zexun

I think you may wanna state your budget (which is an important factor becos the price range for tripod can be very wide). Another thing will be weight (if you wanna bring it for overseas shooting, you might want to consider getting a lighter tripod).

Hi Zexun,
I tried to submit an enquiry regarding the YongNuo tripods via the JL blog but failed to get any response. :dunno: In the end, I bought my tripod elsewhere. Just wanna find out how can I place my order for other products found in JL? By PM-ing you?

Thanks!

also take note what type of photography you'll be concentrating on most of the time, portraits, landscapes, macro/close ups. macro/close ups might require you to get really near to a subject that is in odd angles and a flexible tripod leg can be advantageous.

i personally find a ball head mount much easier to use and gives tremendous flexibility for almost any situation.:)

I think you may wanna state your budget (which is an important factor becos the price range for tripod can be very wide). Another thing will be weight (if you wanna bring it for overseas shooting, you might want to consider getting a lighter tripod).

Hi Zexun,
I tried to submit an enquiry regarding the YongNuo tripods via the JL blog but failed to get any response. :dunno: In the end, I bought my tripod elsewhere. Just wanna find out how can I place my order for other products found in JL? By PM-ing you?

Thanks!

The man is right. A heavy tripod would be a pain to lug around on a holiday-- you might leave it in your hotel room and then end up needing it for a particular shot 100km away or something.

Regarding the JLphoto issue.. No, by emailing admin@jl-photo.net he usually responds at night. Perhaps your mail was overlooked? I'm just a pleased customer that always goes back to him for many products.

Cheers,
Zexun

My budget is in the range of $200 to $300. Weight is definitely a consideration factor. I have a light weight SLIK tripod but it barely could support my DSLR when I mount the 17-85 lens. I won't even dare put my 70-200 on it. ;p

also take note what type of photography you'll be concentrating on most of the time, portraits, landscapes, macro/close ups. macro/close ups might require you to get really near to a subject that is in odd angles and a flexible tripod leg can be advantageous.

i personally find a ball head mount much easier to use and gives tremendous flexibility for almost any situation.:)

Common usage of tripod for my case would be when I need to take group photos or night scene landscapes. Not fully into Macro yet.

As they are trusted brands for more then 30years. others do include Slik/Velbon

Why not you go down to shop like cathay photo or TK foto and ask them about tripod advise. You are also advice to bring down your MAX camera equipment that you want to load on the tripod and test out. See, touch and feel the quality so that you can appreciate the quality of Manfrotto or even Gitzo. :)

I also checked Manfroto, Gitzo ... price high. According to the dpreview lots switching to this brand = BENRO ,, It availiable on ebay as well as Sim Lim SQ 6th floor -Oriental Photo.

I brought the tripod model: M0058n6 (The M-series carbon fiber tripods ) and the Ball type header is (KB-0), with these combination it cost S$350 and it Carbon - Very light (Less than 1Kg)

I hugged it for 5 hrs walking aroung without sweat.

See this thread for specification: http://www.benro.cn/ENbenro/AA_index.asp

Happy shopping

Common usage of tripod for my case would be when I need to take group photos or night scene landscapes. Not fully into Macro yet.

cathay photo in peninsular plaza has a good range of tripods (legs and heads) in that range 200-300. Drop over and have a look at what's right for you, and like what jnet6 said, bring your gears down to try it out as well, if it's too much, just bring the heaviest setup you have.

one more info, if you haven't already know, get a tripod that at the fully extended legs(neck not extended), with head and camera, the viewfinder should be around your eye level.

Got a quote from Cathay today.. But I wanted the SLIK Pro 330DX..

This is the promotion they gave me:
Offer: SLIK Pro 340 DX @S$138.30

Free: Case, Lenspen Sensor Klear, Op/Tech Rain Sleeve, Akarui Dual Bubble split level micro fiber cloth,

And Jumbo Blower brush. Offer whilst stock last

If you have no idea what to buy and have not much of a budget, I always recommend getting the basic YongNuo Gitai 3section Tripod from JLphoto. My review here: http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=433241

But if you have a budget (a healthy one-- S$300 will be good), a Manfrotto 190xproB + Manfrotto 486rc2 head will be good.

Check the "Others" forum for a brief guideline on tripod selection.

Cheers,
Zexun

my height is 175, Manfrotto 190xproB + Manfrotto 486rc2 suitable for me?

see if you like XproB (alu) or CXProB(CF) price difference will be a lot but not as much as gitzo. :)

Check out my BnS.

thanks,because my budget max 500 ..

Its a long term investment and do take into consideration for how often are you going to use the tripod for.

I've also changed many tripods over thes 4yrs.

i see,any idea selling how much? Manfrotto 055xprob and 488RC2

Status
Not open for further replies.