What Tripod Stand are you guys using?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brightcoat

Jun 4, 2007
I'm looking to buy a tripod stand for my pentax cam. Just wondering, what kind of tripod stand are you guys using? How much is it? Any good recommendation? Thanks!! :)

go to cash converter, i got mine for S$10... very sturdy...

go to cash converter, i got mine for S$10... very sturdy...

Normally you don't need a good tripod unless you really into some photography (ie night shots, IR). SR in K10D is good enough for macros, so you shouldn't have problem with most shots.;)

From personal experience, if you're planning to get a tripod, determine your needs and invest (yes invest) in the best one you can afford. A good tripod (whether new or used) should allow you the option to change to a pan/tilt or a ball head. Pay more attention to the head (esp for a ball head). Most tripods today aren't half bad but the same can't be said for ballheads. Gitzo, Manfrotto & Slik are :thumbsup: If you don't want to lug around a tripod, a monopod can help quite a bit.

From personal experience, if you're planning to get a tripod, determine your needs and invest (yes invest) in the best one you can afford. A good tripod (whether new or used) should allow you the option to change to a pan/tilt or a ball head. Pay more attention to the head (esp for a ball head). Most tripods today aren't half bad but the same can't be said for ballheads. Gitzo, Manfrotto & Slik are :thumbsup: If you don't want to lug around a tripod, a monopod can help quite a bit.

What is your opinion about benro... A058+BH-00 ? I know it is for light users... that's me :) .

What is your opinion about benro... A058+BH-00 ? I know it is for light users... that's me :) .
Bro, I better not say my opinion of this brand on a public forum...:sweat:

Bro, I better not say my opinion of this brand on a public forum...:sweat:

okiee... ;) ... any recomm for a newbie to start with <$200

I'm using the fantastic Velbon Carmanage series.

I've been using a Slik Sprint Pro for a couple of years, but I changed the bundled ballhead. Previously I used a manfrotto 482RC2 ballhead and quite happy with it. Now I'm using a Benro KB-0 and I'm even happier :D

Normally we want a tripod to be sturdy and light, but these two don't come along together :( Sturdy ones usually are quite heavy while light ones are not sturdy. Those Carbon Fibre ones are very sturdy and somewhat light weighted. But compare with the Slik Sprint Pro, they are still too heavy to my like ;)

I don't have any very heavy lens, and I'm not buying any, that's why I'm still keeping the Slik :D

I used Slik Sprint 3-way, and then the head disintegrated on me, so using a Benro BH-00 replacement ballhead. Like I've mentioned here, the QR plate has some problems which are easily lessened by adding a washer - but apparently not entirely solved. It's ok though, I guess, so long as you are not too rough.

Main thing is your equipment weight consideration. If you shoot landscapes best if you use tripod all the time, imho. Handholding is fine, and all that, but you will never beat the sharpness of a tripod-mounted shot.

you can try mustafa, yesterday passby and saw this tripod which the pan and tilt head is casted metal alloy and leg looks like stainless steel with i think 4 section, selling for only S$80. It is a bit heavy but sturdy..... you can go and take a look....

I'm using the ppcp version 2. The main thing is that the ballhead movement isn't entirely controllable (i.e. it does sag a little even after you've tightened it fully)

Bought it from mscolour for $140, including a (pretty nice!) bag.

http://www.perfectpixelcameraparts.com/shop/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=10

I don't use it that often, so it's fine. It's a pity about the ballhead, because apart from that it's very decent.

i'm using the Olympus tripod that came free with my wife's prosumer which she bought about 5 years ago.

How many of you actually bring a tripod whenever you go for photo shot?

Every time, unless I'm only going to shoot butterflies, because no point. You set up, aim, Mr Butterfly is gone.

Otherwise, IR and sunsets dictate that I need a tripod. =D

erh.

it depends on where i'm going.

I do carry it overseas, although once i'm there i don't -always- bring it out, even if i bring the camera.

Anytime you play with neutral density, infrared, panoramas, night/dawn/dusk shots, astro, time-lapse, long exposures like fireworks & light trails, product shots, larger than life size macro - you're likely to need a tripod (SR notwithstanding).

Having used medium and large format in the past (which absolutely requires the use of a good tripod), it used to be second nature for me to carry one - but now older and lazier... :lovegrin:
but at least I carry a small monopod where possible.

An incident that I witnessed many years ago removed all misgivings I had in the past about spending money on a good and sturdy tripod. Was in Genting Highlands donkey years ago and saw another photographer using a Leica R4. He set up his cheap tripod on a slope to take some close-up or other. As he turned to reach for something in his camera bag, suddenly his tripod leg just buckled and his very expensive camera & lens just crashed down the slope. Camera & lens were a write-off. You should have seen his face and the words that were uttered... :bigeyes:

For me, all depends, will bring a tripod for night, fireworks or shots that required longer exposure.

I think i used the monopod more than the tripod.:bsmilie:, mostly for the telephoto lens.

Status
Not open for further replies.