Status
Not open for further replies.

King Tiger

May 11, 2004
In the heart of SengKang
www.worldwar2aces.com
Hi

I am not familiar in Tripod, hence, need to seek advice from all the Sony
Jedi Knight and Jedi Masters, grandmaster.

I am currently having a Sony Cybershot F828 (weigh about 1 kg),
let say if I add my Sony F32X Flashlight (weight about 260 grams),
and Sony Teleconverter (weight about 560 grams),
when combine together, the total weight would be around 2 kgs.
Though it is not DSLR, it is quite heavy as a digital camera.

There are a lot of good tripods in the market, like Slik, Manfroto and so on.
Although I have done some study and looking around, I am still cracking my head and undecide which is better, which one to buy.

I like to take marco shot, night shot , scenery hot , telephoto shots and holiday photo taking; mountains, seas, would like to go to archaelocial place like Cambodia in the future and so on.
Please comment which is better base on my needs and requirement.
Should I take a heavy or light one.
Which ball head and price???
Anyone?

As a guide, always get the heaviest tripod you can afford to carry. Of course, it has to be able to carry the weight of your camera + other accessories you might have. The Manfrotto 190 would be good for what you have.

Actually i would recommand the lightest tripod that supports your camera. I got myself a S$15 tripod and it supports my camera just fine. Don't see a point in tekaning yourself lugging a huge tripod just to show off.

Poon said:
Actually i would recommand the lightest tripod that supports your camera. I got myself a S$15 tripod and it supports my camera just fine. Don't see a point in tekaning yourself lugging a huge tripod just to show off.

I am too sure, but afraid that a light tripod might not be stable enough.

If you want to spend almost 2k on a camera and buy $15 legs for it, then go ahead. Tripods are something that follows the rule of "you get what you paid for". If you need a good sturdy tripod to support your gear then get it, what's there to show off unless you already have that showing off mentality. Imagine your camera toppling over those chopsticks, that could be quite a show actually. Been there, done that. Imagine doing a night shoot with some wind blowing. Yes, $15 legs do wobble in the wind. Been there, seen it. If there's one thing you shouldn't compromise on, it would be the tripod. Get a good sturdy one or its as good as not getting any.

For ballheads, take a look at some of those Manfrotto or Giottos ones. Make a trip with your gear(or at least give a description of what you use) to CP and Steven would be more than happy to advice you on what to get.

My F828 setup is quite similiar to yours. Except I don't have additional tele or wide lens attachments.

I am using a Silk Sprint PRO GM tripod with a Giottos head. Added a quick release attachment to the ballhead. Total cost, less then $200. Ended up with a compact and lightweight solution that is more then enough for the F828, probably entry range DLSRs too.

I wanted to upgrade to a carbon fibre tripod, hoping it would be even smaller and lighter, price was secondary. After spending sometime comparing at the shops. I realized, the weight and size would hardly differ from what I already have, despite spending another 4 to 6 times the price. The carbon fibre tripods will be able to carry x2 more weight, but the size or weight usually increases over the Silk Sprint PRO GM as well. I don't need to carry 4 to 5 kg of weight, so it made sense for me to keep my wallet until I actually need a tripod of that calibre.

Silk Tripod - http://www.thkphoto.com/products/slik/slik-ss1.html

Giotto MH 1002 - http://www.hpmarketingcorp.com/giottos_ballheads.html

Poon said:
Regarding your last sentence, thats just the wrong thinking mate. Never underestimate the importance of a good and stable tripod. Its not about showing off, its ultimately the stability of your tripod setup which determines how good the pic quality is gonna be, whether you use a prosumer digicam or DSLR. Would you entrust your few k worth of expensive equipment on a wobbly $15 tripod & risk the whole setup crashing to the ground just because you wanted to take a few pounds off the weight? I think not.

i have something to share... dun buy the sony tripod with built in remote...

cos the remote is attached to the handle, den when i press the shutter, the image will shake, causing blurness... took 100 shots, about more than 50 shots are blur 1... useless...

Del_CtrlnoAlt said:
i have something to share... dun buy the sony tripod with built in remote...

cos the remote is attached to the handle, den when i press the shutter, the image will shake, causing blurness... took 100 shots, about more than 50 shots are blur 1... useless...

Del_CtrlnoAlt
Thank for valuable information.
Actually Sony Tripod is also one of my listing. Saw it at the reopen Sony Gallery at Iseten, look cool and feel good.

So when pressing the button at the handle will also affect the shaking on the tripod. Hmmm... :think:

Hi,

There are many choices between a $15 tripod and $500 tripod.

Why don't you go out for some photoshoots, help carrying your friend slik sprint PRO GM, and use it on night shot.
and next time try a heavier or lighter tripod.

Base on the difference of photo quality and weight carrying, you will be able to judge correctly.

Del_CtrlnoAlt said:
ya... u wan i can lend u play with it for a while... also can come my little operating theater to play the light tent...

I have the Sony remote tripod too. But I only use it for my DV and DVD cams. For still pics, it's pretty useless. The tripod itself is pretty low quality too.

hehehe..posted this in another thread b4..

"I'm a F717 user, and originally used a travel tripod(sakura), only 500grams, and extends to 1.3M. I'm 1.8M tall, so found it a little lacking in the height department.

Recently I got bought a Velbon CX-888 for $27(2nd hand but like new). Is it a good deal? I like this tripod for the quick release plate and it's height of about 1.6-1.7m. Perhaps i got too used to the light travel tripod, but i find the Velbon to be rather heavy (1.3kg), and I find it a chore to bring it out. I find myself bringing out the sakura more compared to the Velbon...

Haha...dilema man...got the velbon for better support, but end up missing the light weight sakura....anyone in the same boat as i'm in?"

Now got update after using the velbon more(the sakura got irrepairably damaged after an accident), i'm used to the weight, but still miss the sakura for portability... most likely gonna get a similar 500 gram travel tripod again.

I'm all for it. Lets hold another meet-up/photoshoot session. Any suggestions? I'm good this coming saturday and/or most weekdays.

my 10-year old SLIK needs replacing (cracked plastic below the mounting plate). i saw the SLIK you guys recommended but noticed that it looks different from mine i.e. the mounting plate rests on a ball instead of an old-style swivel left right/up down squarish platform. how do you align the camera to the horizon (vertically and horizontically) if its resting on a ball-stem? (the old style squarish tripods has a limited up/down movement which lets u know once it cant move further, its in-line with the horizon). also, is there a "bubble capsule" to ensure that the camera is parallel to the ground? sorry, old fogey yet to know how to use a ballhead tripod yet. appreciate yr advice. by the way how much is that SLIK tripod u posted a weblink to? does it come with a carrying bag? thanks.

artyboy said:
my 10-year old SLIK needs replacing (cracked plastic below the mounting plate). i saw the SLIK you guys recommended but noticed that it looks different from mine i.e. the mounting plate rests on a ball instead of an old-style swivel left right/up down squarish platform. how do you align the camera to the horizon (vertically and horizontically) if its resting on a ball-stem? (the old style squarish tripods has a limited up/down movement which lets u know once it cant move further, its in-line with the horizon). also, is there a "bubble capsule" to ensure that the camera is parallel to the ground? sorry, old fogey yet to know how to use a ballhead tripod yet. appreciate yr advice. by the way how much is that SLIK tripod u posted a weblink to? does it come with a carrying bag? thanks.

Well, if you need precise movements to align vertical and horizontal lines then a ballhead is not really for you. You should be looking into 3 way pan heads and gear heads for more precise control of movements.

Status
Not open for further replies.