What tripod did you use for your F828/F717/F707

Status
Not open for further replies.
snowspeeder said:
I'm all for it. Lets hold another meet-up/photoshoot session. Any suggestions? I'm good this coming saturday and/or most weekdays.

Snowspeeder
You wanna to chair the 2nd Cybershot Gathering? ;p
But I may not be around Singapore this weekend, next week will be free.

I am not sure if I express the words correctly.
I notice there is numberic number at the diameter around some of the ball head, is it use for the purpose of Panaromic shooting?
Anyone? Please advise.

Kit said:
Well, if you need precise movements to align vertical and horizontal lines then a ballhead is not really for you. You should be looking into 3 way pan heads and gear heads for more precise control of movements.

ok thanks for the advice, luckily i check with you guys before getting one!
in that case any recommendations for any particular SLIK model (swivel/pan head type) which would be good for my F828 (as well as future upgrades to DSLR)? my main concern is stability, durability and reasonably light weight. don't think i can afford those carbon fibre types just the standard type will do, budget at around $100-$150. grateful for any recommendations. thanks!

p/s: was wondering if there is a quick solution to situations when using a
tripod on uneven ground (esp slopes)? with my swivel/pan head tripod
the only solution is to use the tilt mechanism or shorten one of the
tripod legs to get a strait horizon. was wondering if a ballhead would
solve this prob but wld still need a bubble capsule. thanks.

artyboy said:
ok thanks for the advice, luckily i check with you guys before getting one!
in that case any recommendations for any particular SLIK model (swivel/pan head type) which would be good for my F828 (as well as future upgrades to DSLR)? my main concern is stability, durability and reasonably light weight. don't think i can afford those carbon fibre types just the standard type will do, budget at around $100-$150. grateful for any recommendations. thanks!

p/s: was wondering if there is a quick solution to situations when using a
tripod on uneven ground (esp slopes)? with my swivel/pan head tripod
the only solution is to use the tilt mechanism or shorten one of the
tripod legs to get a strait horizon. was wondering if a ballhead would
solve this prob but wld still need a bubble capsule. thanks.

For pan head, try the Manfrotto 141 RC. That's within your budget I think. If you are really particular about alignments, get a Manfrotto 410 junior gear head for more precise controls. I do not know of any tripod heads that's made with carbon fibre.

You don't have to level your camera by adjusting your tripod legs. That's almost impossible to do. You only use the legs to stabilise the whole set up and make the finer adjustments with the tripod head. As mentioned before, ballheads are not the best tool for aligning verticals and horizontals. I never use those spirit bubbles, some tripod heads do have them built in though.

Kit said:
For pan head, try the Manfrotto 141 RC. That's within your budget I think. If you are really particular about alignments, get a Manfrotto 410 junior gear head for more precise controls. I do not know of any tripod heads that's made with carbon fibre.

You don't have to level your camera by adjusting your tripod legs. That's almost impossible to do. You only use the legs to stabilise the whole set up and make the finer adjustments with the tripod head. As mentioned before, ballheads are not the best tool for aligning verticals and horizontals. I never use those spirit bubbles, some tripod heads do have them built in though.

thanks Kit! but i thk the Manfroto 141 RC is the head only (no legs), but it looks kinda bulky. im actually looking for the whole unit. any recommendations for SLIK? seems like most are ballhead models except for the U series. it says they're meant for video use but dunno if its suitable for still cameras as well. reason chose SLIK is becos the other big name tripods like calumet/bogen/manfrotto seems like wallet-crunchers!

artyboy said:
thanks Kit! but i thk the Manfroto 141 RC is the head only (no legs), but it looks kinda bulky. im actually looking for the whole unit. any recommendations for SLIK? seems like most are ballhead models except for the U series. it says they're meant for video use but dunno if its suitable for still cameras as well. reason chose SLIK is becos the other big name tripods like calumet/bogen/manfrotto seems like wallet-crunchers!

Yes, the 141RC is a tripod head alone. Frankly, I don't see many buying tripod head and legs as a whole unit and I don't think there are many choices around. Drop by CP and Steven should be able to advice. BTW, I don't see any advantages in terms of size and weight in using a whole unit because you would need certain bulk and weight to support your gear.

thanks. i think i miss something somewhere.. i meant im replacing my whole tripod and getting a new one, so i'll need a complete set (legs + mounting plate). perhaps u're suggesting the legs and mounting plate/ballhead separately mix & match. currently looking at the SLIK Sprint Pro (as recommended by someone here) or the Pro 330 DX. thanks for your valuable tips.

slik sprint pro gm is a very light tripod and can't take much weight. you need to replace the ballhead if you want the tripod to support more. just bring down all your gear to try out at Cathay Photo, Peninsula branch.

artyboy said:
thanks. i think i miss something somewhere.. i meant im replacing my whole tripod and getting a new one, so i'll need a complete set (legs + mounting plate). perhaps u're suggesting the legs and mounting plate/ballhead separately mix & match. currently looking at the SLIK Sprint Pro (as recommended by someone here) or the Pro 330 DX. thanks for your valuable tips.

Erm..... abit confusing.....

What do you mean by mounting plates? Quick release plates? There are whole units which includes both tripod head and legs. You won't be able to change the head since its fixed on the tripod. Yup, what I suggested is mix and match, which is what most people do.

mpenza said:
slik sprint pro gm is a very light tripod and can't take much weight. you need to replace the ballhead if you want the tripod to support more. just bring down all your gear to try out at Cathay Photo, Peninsula branch.

I think he will have to consider the load capacity of the tripod legs too. No use replacing the ballhead to carry extra load if the tripod legs cannot hold that much.

sorry, the prob is i dun know the exact names of tripod parts but i meant getting the whole unit. hmm.. this is getting more complicated.. i read the description/specs on the SLIK website, and the complete unit can take a max weight of abt 2-2.5 kg, which for my F828 is sufficient, but guess i hv to thk long-term when upgrading to DSLR. but i saw a pic of this tripod used with a Nikon D70 in one of the web reviews so i thot it shld be sufficient for prosumer/basic DSLRs. since i dun know much abt tripods wld thk its more advisable to get a complete unit instead of mix and match. but you're right, guess i shld just go down to CP to get Steven's recommendation. thanks alot guys!

artyboy said:
sorry, the prob is i dun know the exact names of tripod parts but i meant getting the whole unit. hmm.. this is getting more complicated.. i read the description/specs on the SLIK website, and the complete unit can take a max weight of abt 2-2.5 kg, which for my F828 is sufficient, but guess i hv to thk long-term when upgrading to DSLR. but i saw a pic of this tripod used with a Nikon D70 in one of the web reviews so i thot it shld be sufficient for prosumer/basic DSLRs. since i dun know much abt tripods wld thk its more advisable to get a complete unit instead of mix and match. but you're right, guess i shld just go down to CP to get Steven's recommendation. thanks alot guys!

I think I know what you mean by "complete set" now. If it fits your purpose and is sufficient to carry your gear and within your budget, then by all means. When you read the specs, always give some allowance. E.g. try to not get a tripod with 2kg load just because the total weight of your gear weighs 2kg. Most tripods that I've used don't function that well when pushed to their capacity. Try getting something that can hold a bit more than what is intended for.

point taken, thanks.
the higher capacity models all weigh abt 2.5 kg compared to the Sprint Pro's 890 gms but i guess having a lightweight tripod have its compromises. now narrowing down to the Pro 330 DX as a compromise (1 kg lighter - 1.5 kg compared to the 400 DX's 2.5 kg). the 400 DX's max load is 4.5 kg compared to the 330 DX's 4 kg, rather minimal. but the Sprint Pro is carbon fibre (?) as mentioned in web review. damn do i have to scratch my head more...

finally got a Slik Pro 400 DX as recommended by Chris at CP. the 2.5 kg weight is not that bad (abt the same weight as my old Slik 35DN im replacing). got the 400 DX instead of the 330 DX primarily for one reason - the detachable centre column - its ability to lower the tripod to near surface level for macro shots. it takes a max weight of 4.5 kg which im considering long-term when the time is ripe for a D-SLR upgrade. the 400 DX is sturdy, fairly rugged, inspires confidence and a real joy to use, no regrets!

artyboy said:
finally got a Slik Pro 400 DX as recommended by Chris at CP. the 2.5 kg weight is not that bad (abt the same weight as my old Slik 35DN im replacing). got the 400 DX instead of the 330 DX primarily for one reason - the detachable centre column - its ability to lower the tripod to near surface level for macro shots. it takes a max weight of 4.5 kg which im considering long-term when the time is ripe for a D-SLR upgrade. the 400 DX is sturdy, fairly rugged, inspires confidence and a real joy to use, no regrets!

How much did you get it for? I'm using the Slik Pro 340DX...got it at $110.

paid $170 for it plus $15 for the carry case. had almost decided on the 330DX but don't mind paying more for the ability to lower it for macro shots. overall very happy with it tho its weight is quite noticeable esp when the Slik bag's strap is rather narrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.