what to use??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dogfish

Mar 19, 2005
What settings do you use if you shoot a play in a theatre??

... is photography even allowed? :dunno:

In such events flash photography is strictly not allowed. I previously shoot for my sch's symphony orchestra event and flash is not allowed. I'm a film user so what i did was to use an ISO800 film to shoot. I set it to aperture priority mode and open your aperture no larger than f/8.

Results? Beautiful well-exposed shots. You may want to use a tripod.

thanks. Flash not allowed. though.

wont f16 and iso100 be better?:dunno: they'll produce clean pics and great depth of field:thumbsup:

roti_prata said:
wont f16 and iso100 be better?:dunno: they'll produce clean pics and great depth of field:thumbsup:

If you shoot at f16 and ISO100 u're asking for trouble. Under extreme low lighting ISO100 is useless. Minimum ISO400 and better at 800 as it captures light much faster. At f/16 your shutter speed will be dead slow under that condition and if your subjects are always moving, all you will get is a blur pic, even with tripod.

roti_prata said:

You will be lucky if you can get away with ISO 1600 and f2.8.

Snoweagle said:
In such events flash photography is strictly not allowed. I previously shoot for my sch's symphony orchestra event and flash is not allowed. I'm a film user so what i did was to use an ISO800 film to shoot. I set it to aperture priority mode and open your aperture no larger than f/8.

Results? Beautiful well-exposed shots. You may want to use a tripod.

f8 and ISO 800? Indoor performance? That must be tremendously well lit theatre. What's your shutter speed with that combination?

...tok cork only la, in response to tis:
Snoweagle said:
I set it to aperture priority mode and open your aperture no larger than f/8.

Results? Beautiful well-exposed shots.

student said:
You will be lucky if you can get away with ISO 1600 and f2.8.
most theaters hav good lighting and r quite well lit unless dimmed for special effects, dont need so xtreme

dkw said:
f8 and ISO 800? Indoor performance? That must be tremendously well lit theatre. What's your shutter speed with that combination?

The theatre wasn't well lit, it was quite dim. Shutter speed's around 1/60.

Snoweagle said:
The theatre wasn't well lit, it was quite dim. Shutter speed's around 1/60.
quite dim...f8...1/60th

wats ur defination of dim??:dunno:

and y use iso800 film at f8?

ISO1600
Av - set to largest possible aperture
hold steady

roti_prata said:
quite dim...f8...1/60th

wats ur defination of dim??:dunno:

and y use iso800 film at f8?

Hard to explain here...only when u're at the scene then u'll know.

i've tried other ways of exposing of different ASA speed films and at different apertures. This combination produces very gd results.

Snoweagle said:
Hard to explain here...only when u're at the scene then u'll know.

i've tried other ways of exposing of different ASA speed films and at different apertures. This combination produces very gd results.

As with catchlights and roti_prata, I am finding it very difficult to believe you can get any kind of decent exposure with f8 and ISO 800 for a normally lit indoor performance, with shutter speed of 1/60 some more! For the few occasions I have tried, at ISO 800 and f2 I can barely get 1/30s.

Status
Not open for further replies.