What to upgrade to?

vengels

Apr 30, 2007
hi everyone,

decided to get upgrade to a DSLR but not sure which camera to get..

my budget is ard $2500..

currently using an EPL1..
but feels that i cant focus "quick" enough to capture snapshots of my 2yo girl..
and not too happy with also the low light shooting capabilities..

mainly i will be taking pics of my girl..
occasional nature pics..

and also pics in dim lighting..

any advice?

was looking at the more popular 550D or D90..
but not sure whether it can fulfil my needs..

Both models suit your needs... I think you should look into which lens to be purchased instead, perhaps a 50mm F/1.8 can do the job.

It's better to get a personal touch on both models. Just go down to any shop to feel the grip...

after using the EPL1..
i also realise that the lens is very important..
but at the moment i am still clueless abt canon and nikon lenses..
trying to read as much as possible b4 i take the plunge..

When you picked Oly instead of Panasonic, did you consider the focusing speed of either? It is a well known argument between Oly and Pana systems. Obviously one of them has focusing speed issues :rolleyes:

Of course, moving to Canikon is also okay but I won't consider that an upgrade, rather switching to a different system altogether. Both have their pros and cons, and if you are switching system, I don't know if you have considered Sony (who is coming out with mirrorless system) and Pentax systems also.

Consider a sony A500/A550 or a NEX. The flip-out LCD and fast AF in liveview mode will make taking ground level shots or candid shots of your daughter very easy.

was looking at the more popular 550D or D90..

Both models and also the entry level models of other brands can do the job. Focusing on DSLR works differently. In addition, you can select lenses according your need. Get the cam, use the kit lens and start learning. Lenses alone will not help you, only the understanding of light and exposure, together with your camera.

You don't need a new camera. Don't waste the money. Your camera should be quite capable.
Lol, you need to learn to use it better and use it in the right conditions and situations (or even create the right conditions; Eg. move to a brighter location; Use flash; Use some toy, food, etc).

Here is a recent thread that might help you out.
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=698116

Here are some nice tip from a friend and CSer.
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6144604&postcount=8

Give yourself sometime more to explore the camera and decide then if a new camera is really going to help you. Frankly, any camera will struggle to focus in dim lighting indoors. Any camera will have a hard time focusing on children (esp. when they move erratically).

Gd luck

Last edited:
You don't need a new camera. Don't waste the money. Your camera should be quite capable.
Lol, you need to learn to use it better and use it in the right conditions and situations (or even create the right conditions; Eg. move to a brighter location; Use flash; Use some toy, food, etc).

Here is a recent thread that might help you out.
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=698116

Here are some nice tip from a friend and CSer.
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6144604&postcount=8

Give yourself sometime more to explore the camera and decide then if a new camera is really going to help you. Frankly, any camera will struggle to focus in dim lighting indoors. Any camera will have a hard time focusing on children (esp. when they move erratically).

Gd luck

I think you really need to use the Oly m4/3s to understand the focusing speed issues he is talking about. They have been improving though (or trying to) but still short from a normal DSLR speed you'd expect. Of course, Oly users will similarly tell you, there are "techniques" to overcome the shortcomings.

But why, when I don't have this problem with Panasonic's m4/3 Contrast Detect focusing? Okay, so it makes me lazy but seriously, I don't know how many shots I would have missed if it (Pana's) couldn't focus as fast as it did. :rolleyes:

both 550 and D90 are good! Anyone will do...

Anyway, I think get the Pentax KX..AF damn fast I must say...;p
but still, it's not an upgrade, every cam will have it's own limitation...lens are more impt..
the only upgrade you are talking about should be the bigger sensor size that can give you better control of noise when high iso:)

hi everyone,

my budget is ard $2500..

currently using an EPL1..
but feels that i cant focus "quick" enough to capture snapshots of my 2yo girl..
and not too happy with also the low light shooting capabilities..
and also pics in dim lighting..

if you ask me, use kx, get dual len with the 55-300mm kit *1103 bucks* (its quite a good low light dslr)
get a third party yn II flash *100 bucks* (or 2, if you want to make sure you get all the light you want)
4 8gb card *at most 100 bucks* (yes 8gb, cause 1: 16gb if spoil = gg, 2:dont have to worry 1 or 2 card is being used or your partner's camera runs out )
get a 50mm/1.4 for snapping your child

balance budget = buy something that's heavy , yet guaranteed to attract the interest of your child. why heavy? cause she'll then be unable to run too fast with it = you can take your time to focus :bsmilie:

so basically you need a system that works well in low light, acceptable for nature and has quick focusing as well as very accurate predictive focusing.

is that correct?

yah that's right..

I have a 20mm f1.7.. When I sell my system I will miss this little lens..

yah that's right..

I have a 20mm f1.7.. When I sell my system I will miss this little lens..

That's why I asked, have you tried Panasonic m4/3 system?

Used to have a gf1.. Sold it on impose.. : (

I think you really need to use the Oly m4/3s to understand the focusing speed issues he is talking about. They have been improving though (or trying to) but still short from a normal DSLR speed you'd expect. Of course, Oly users will similarly tell you, there are "techniques" to overcome the shortcomings.

But why, when I don't have this problem with Panasonic's m4/3 Contrast Detect focusing? Okay, so it makes me lazy but seriously, I don't know how many shots I would have missed if it (Pana's) couldn't focus as fast as it did. :rolleyes:

I generally don't even use any sort of AF :D

"Pre-Top Gun Syndrome" is certainly appealing. I believe that there is still room to go for the TS in terms of what he can get from his current camera.

At the end of the day, its his money and its up to him on how he wants to spend it.
Trying to improve on technique/methods is free. No harm trying it 1st.

Last edited:
Used to have a gf1.. Sold it on impose.. : (

How did you find it? There's a reason why you're not going back to it? What limitations do you find (I'm pretty sure focusing speed is not one of them)?

I generally don't even use any sort of AF :D

I generally can't MF anything. If I could, I may have bought an Oly. Yes, we can learn to MF (other than the fact that my eye sight is questionable). It's just like I can still cycle now also, but going at 26kmh isn't my cuppa and what I don't enjoy, I don't bother with. Not especially when there are alternatives so readily available (else why camera makers make cameras with autofocus? Just make $200 DSLR that MF, meter, etc).

::edit:: point 3 of this thread pretty much also sums up my feelings on MF.

Last edited:
How did you find it? There's a reason why you're not going back to it? What limitations do you find (I'm pretty sure focusing speed is not one of them)?

I generally can't MF anything. If I could, I may have bought an Oly. Yes, we can learn to MF (other than the fact that my eye sight is questionable). It's just like I can still cycle now also, but going at 26kmh isn't my cuppa and what I don't enjoy, I don't bother with. Not especially when there are alternatives so readily available (else why camera makers make cameras with autofocus? Just make $200 DSLR that MF, meter, etc).

::edit:: point 3 of this thread pretty much also sums up my feelings on MF.

Its not about AF or MF its about expectation that another camera will solve TS problems. Will it?
Don't know for sure.
No point spend more money and end up with the same problem.

As highlight in my earlier post : (these things are generic and not AF dependent)
1. Shutter speed too slow - Go somewhere brighter; Use a flash;
2. High ISO too noisy (well indeed an APS-C or FF should improve this) - same solutions as #1
3. Can't focus fast - Anticipate/Pre-focus/Increase DOF/ Catch the moment that has meaning which incidentally are usually not very movement related. (not just the child walking; no meaning and no objective)

Technique costs nothing. If it does not work out, then blame the camera and move to the next system.

Its not about AF or MF its about expectation that another camera will solve TS problems. Will it?
Don't know for sure.
No point spend more money and end up with the same problem.

Like I said earlier, you need to try out Olympus's m43 contrast detect autofocus to know what we're talking about.

Like I said earlier, you need to try out Olympus's m43 contrast detect autofocus to know what we're talking about.

ya ya.. :D
thought i can live with it but realised i cant..
maybe i have been spoilt by GF1's focussing speed..

anyway..
i also can MF for nuts..
something wrong with my eyes i think..
:dunno:

just to add..

i tried continous focus to capture my girl..
some forumers used this technique with some success..

but unfortunately not for me..