What to upgrade from an amateur SLR film camera?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jopix

Feb 7, 2005
Singapore
Hi,

I've been using my current SLR - Nikon F60 for the last few years and am considering an upgrade. I would like to know, whether its wise to get a secondhand film SLR or digital SLR to advance further. I hope to be able to sell my photos to stock libraries in future. My budget is about $1000.

Also - I feel that my photos aren't improving a lot - in terms of quality, richness of the colours. I have been using slides film /film on my SLR together with a prosumer digital camera while travelling but it doesnt seem to be helping much.

Could anyone give a general word of advice?

Slide will give a better colour when you expose it about 1/2 to 1 stop under depand on situation,try this next time.also you have to know each slide exposure latitude,fuji provia and velvia range have little exposure latitude which kodak xtra colour have better exposure latitiude better not as rich as velvia.velvia 50 do not have to expose under coz it normal rating is at arround ISO 40.

Use the same equipment, save some money and get your framing/exposure right first before you outgrow your equipment.

better lenses could help you get richer colors and sharpness. but it's the eye for the photo that counts the most.

digital body and some good quality lenses

user111 said:

Hmm unless that $1000 is US$....I dont think S$1000 can get a digitial Body AND "good quality lenses"

F60 hmmm.. this camera has a "few" restrictions....cant use AF on AF-S lenses (use Manual focus only) and cant support VR.

The Fuji S1 was built in the F60 too, so it shares the same restrictions.

I dont think a "better" film SLR will magically improve the shots, and since u Have a Digital Prosumer camera, you can practise your shots on it, and wait a while on that DSLR.

Unless u think that your F60 is "preventing" u from using some "better" lenses, then I will think a film slr upgrade practical. Maybe a F75 or F80

Maybe u shld try to understand the reason behind the "lack of quality and richness" before u decide if an upgrade is needed.
If u dont find out the reason, it doesnt mattar what camera u are using, the mistake is simply repeated on it.

user111 said:

Care to suggest which digital body and some good quality lenses, $1000 can buy? And also are those digital body even match film's quality? :dunno:

Think a 2nd hand EOS 30 or F80 costs less than $400 good condition. Coupled it with a 2nd hand 28-75/2.8 or if you like primes, 24/2.8 + 50/1.8 are very good to start. Film is cheap anyway, but do shoot carefully to maximise your every cents worth.

jopix said:
Hi,

I've been using my current SLR - Nikon F60 for the last few years and am considering an upgrade. I would like to know, whether its wise to get a secondhand film SLR or digital SLR to advance further. I hope to be able to sell my photos to stock libraries in future. My budget is about $1000.

Also - I feel that my photos aren't improving a lot - in terms of quality, richness of the colours. I have been using slides film /film on my SLR together with a prosumer digital camera while travelling but it doesnt seem to be helping much.

Could anyone give a general word of advice?

Get a good lens first, my advice .... get the Tokina 28-70 f/2.6-2.8 secondhand, there is one selling at the Buy and Sell corner at relatively affordable price. That lens is one of the better lens. Try to outgrow that before you try digital camera. By the time you outgrow that lens, chances are digital camera will be a lot cheaper.

Status
Not open for further replies.