What to test when trying out a DSLR before buying

Ivshootphoto

Dec 17, 2007
Dear all,

I'm aiming to purchase a DSLR very soon.
Without playing with a DSLR before, I'm not sure what to do when I was giving the camera to try out.

I just shoot the surrounding, zoom in/out with the kit lens.
Any other thing I should try on?.

Thanks.
Iven

check how many times the shutter actuations in case the copy you got was the shop "demo" model as each camera has a limited shutter lifespan.

depending on which shop, some do forget to "reset" the default counter but there is no outside means to reset the shutter actuation count.

you can do a search on this.

Instead posting these questions here I suggest browsing the forum for existing information. This forum has so much details from lots of contribution, pay a bit respect please.

Have you noticed the sticky threads on top of the section? In newbies section they have all the basic guidelines, take your time and read. One pointer: http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2727928&postcount=19

check how many times the shutter actuations in case the copy you got was the shop "demo" model as each camera has a limited shutter lifespan.
depending on which shop, some do forget to "reset" the default counter but there is no outside means to reset the shutter actuation count.

The very last thing to worry about as newbie (unless one is anal about heaving a 'virgin set'). With shutter life spans of >30k for even the entry level models the few actuations in shop don't matter at all.

u dont really test the camera by itself.

u should test it together with the lens you are getting.

things to test:
1. sharpness at different aperture
2. dust spots
3. back focusing

do some basic physical checks on the camera and lens.
1. check for scratches on body and lcd. for lens, check for scratches on the elements
2. check for dust in viewfinder and lens

The very last thing to worry about as newbie (unless one is anal about heaving a 'virgin set'). With shutter life spans of >30k for even the entry level models the few actuations in shop don't matter at all.
depends if the "few" is in the realm of hundreds or thousands..

sorry for using your thread.
am actually tot of getting one too. my plan is to get an EOS 500D kit.
since i know nuts about DSLR,i need to dig more info from seniors and pros here before buying.

what else do i need to start with?
any good shop to recommend?

since i know nuts about DSLR,i need to dig more info from seniors and pros here before buying.

Read the newbies guides. It's all there, including guides for selecting cameras and shops to get it. The guides are there cause your question is asked frequently .. at least 5x per week.

if you are new to DSLR, bring a friend who is familiar along to help you.

Filters,bag,cleaning kit,dry cabinet and memory cards.Usual shops include CP/OP/AP/MSC/SLRR/John/TK and TCW:)

And after all that, you'll need to head to TGIF... coz, after all the walking around camera hunting, you're going to need it... :bsmilie: And then sit down and enjoy your "bao-bei"...

HI Iven,

If you are buying a DSLR with kit lens, maybe you can consider bring your own memory card.
Take a few pictures with the various camera that you have short listed and bring home to do your own comparison. Take your time to evaluate the various offering by different brands.

If you need to find out more info on DSLR, try this link.
http://www.dpreview.com/learn/?/Guides/dslr_buying_guide_01.htm

or even compare the spec of various camera:
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sidebyside.asp

The above two links are more current and not few years old link.(so many have changed since the past 5yrs). Most important, they do not bite.

For shutter count which I checked with canon, if the shutter count on the 7D is more than 150k, then the service is chargeable.

For warranty information, some brand such as canon has the serial number of the parts(lens, etc) printed on the warranty card, so you can double check if the vendor is selling you the real stuff. ;)

one more thing, enjoy your hunting. Don't be discourage by those sales persons who have their nose up in the sky. :D

Dear all,

I'm aiming to purchase a DSLR very soon.
Without playing with a DSLR before, I'm not sure what to do when I was giving the camera to try out.

I just shoot the surrounding, zoom in/out with the kit lens.
Any other thing I should try on?.

Thanks.
Iven

You can always try "salesman hunting".... Stand outside the shop and peer in a little to see how the salesmen communicates with the buyers... Some you can tell if they are pretty friendly, helpful or not (don't just see if they can smile the biggest, first impression does count)... And if you see someone you'd like to communicate to, wait until he/she's free and then quickly approach that person... don't just walk into an empty shop (no customers) and let any first salesperson entertain you.

Last edited:
That sounds like a very good method. Will try it myself too! :D

You can always try "salesman hunting".... Stand outside the shop and peer in a little to see how the salesmen communicates with the buyers... Some you can tell if they are pretty friendly, helpful or not (don't just see if they can smile the biggest, first impression does count)... And if you see someone you'd like to communicate to, wait until he/she's free and then quickly approach that person... don't just walk into an empty shop (no customers) and let any first salesperson entertain you.