what to take note when taking photo of infant

animian2002

Dec 18, 2005
i know i cannot use flash ...what else do i need to take note... how do pple take those artistic photo of those innocent face of an infant ?

btw i will be using 500D ...and cant wait to take picture of my 1st born ;p

i know i cannot use flash ...what else do i need to take note... how do pple take those artistic photo of those innocent face of an infant ?

Only one thing to take note...

DO NOT USE DIRECT FLASH ON A NON SLEEPING BABY.

Well other than flash the other only things you might need is creativity, to have the interested or playing with you or perhaps your wife when you snap the shot? Capturing the moment is crucial, and of course this is also where lucks come in :)

Camera flashes directed at the face of an infant may result in serious injuries or even death. :bsmilie:

OK, seriously though it is a common consensus among ophthalmologists that directing camera flashes at the face of an infant will not have an immediate adverse effect nor affect the development of their eyes. ;)

There have been cases of flashing backgrounds in some cartoons causing seizures in children. Are those flashing backgrounds less disturbing than camera flashes? http://edition.cnn.com/WORLD/9712/17/video.seizures.update/

The thing is, while taking a flash pic here and there of infants may be fine, but enthusiastic parents will keep snapping and snapping and snapping. How different is that from flashing backgrounds from a cartoon?

There is no evidence. But will you take the risk with your own child? I will not. You are free to do what you please with your own.

Well, I did use flash when I took pics of my sister when she was an infant. But it was with a PnS so I guess it wasn't as strong. Now she's 6yrs and not blind...so...

Try not to have any distracting things in the background. Bare skin is best (hey, they were born w/o clothes!). Try black and white.

If you want to do more 'artistic' shots, use a white bed sheet for the background and take pictures from different angles.

There have been cases of flashing backgrounds in some cartoons causing seizures in children. Are those flashing backgrounds less disturbing than camera flashes? http://edition.cnn.com/WORLD/9712/17/video.seizures.update/

The thing is, while taking a flash pic here and there of infants may be fine, but enthusiastic parents will keep snapping and snapping and snapping. How different is that from flashing backgrounds from a cartoon?
I believed that you are referring to Photosensitive Epilepsy (PSE), a neurological disorder. It is a pre-existing condition that may result in seizures triggered by exposure to certain visual stimulus, possibly by flashes of sudden light burst as an example, depending in the individual

Directing camera flashes at the face of an infant will not result in Photosensitive Epilepsy (PSE) and if you as a parent knew your child has Photosensitive Epilepsy (PSE), minimising exposure of camera flashes to your beloved child will just be one of your many primary and secondary concerns.
You are free to do what you please with your own.
Agree. :)

Can flash but no direct flash,using natural light source near windows.

u probably want to take note of your child's mood and timing. observe when is a good time for u to take photos. newborns aren't the best subject to take while awake. so u might want to use some creativity when they are sleeping. experiment with how you want to do the lighting. natural versus flash. for newbies, i would suggest natural light because it is easier to see how your subject would be lit.

i am not particular abt flash damaging a baby's eyes. i shoot kids for a living and i have been shooting my own daughter since she was a newborn. no kids i have shot have suffered any seizures during my shoots. of course u do not take 10000 photos at 1 go. it is very tiring and hard for kids to focus for that long. u will want to aim for one to two mins of their attention if u are lucky. when he grows older, u might want to pay more attention to safety during the shoot. they tend to wander and have not much concept of safety. tripping and falling is very common so u will need some assistance when u shoot.

u will probably spend more time getting him to be ready than actually shooting. kids and animals are the hardest living things to work with.

u probably want to take note of your child's mood and timing. observe when is a good time for u to take photos. newborns aren't the best subject to take while awake. so u might want to use some creativity when they are sleeping. experiment with how you want to do the lighting. natural versus flash. for newbies, i would suggest natural light because it is easier to see how your subject would be lit.

i am not particular abt flash damaging a baby's eyes. i shoot kids for a living and i have been shooting my own daughter since she was a newborn. no kids i have shot have suffered any seizures during my shoots. of course u do not take 10000 photos at 1 go. it is very tiring and hard for kids to focus for that long. u will want to aim for one to two mins of their attention if u are lucky. when he grows older, u might want to pay more attention to safety during the shoot. they tend to wander and have not much concept of safety. tripping and falling is very common so u will need some assistance when u shoot.

u will probably spend more time getting him to be ready than actually shooting. kids and animals are the hardest living things to work with.

Agreed. I even used studio strobes and the kids i shot are fine. The parents are cool about it too :)

Use window light if you don't want to use flash. Not direct sunlight though.

Flash is ok, but use it bounced or diffused and from a 45deg top angle or from the side. Direct flash will not be comfortable for anyone (baby or adult) if by accident it gets at the eyes.

Start with simple setups like bedding and simple cloths. Shoot little stuff like hands and feet as well. Move on to props and stuff if you feel confident and have done some research.

http://kelleyryden.com/blog/

http://www.annegeddes.com/Modules/Anne/Galleries/index.aspx

I like many of the Kelly Ryden shots. A relatively simple setup of a front and side light, which can be natural or diffused strobe (very often at least one of them is natural light).

Last edited:
I believed that you are referring to Photosensitive Epilepsy (PSE), a neurological disorder. It is a pre-existing condition that may result in seizures triggered by exposure to certain visual stimulus, possibly by flashes of sudden light burst as an example, depending in the individual
Directing camera flashes at the face of an infant will not result in Photosensitive Epilepsy (PSE) and if you as a parent knew your child has Photosensitive Epilepsy (PSE), minimising exposure of camera flashes to your beloved child will just be one of your many primary and secondary concerns.

Thanks a lot for these facts and details to bust die hard myths and rumours. :thumbsup:

Nothing much. I find putting toys and accessories next to babies, or dress them up :D :D :D

better no flash. focus area should be on eye area.....