What to start with

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ice

Mar 16, 2004
Hi I am new into this forum, I saw some other the picture posted here in the forum as well as those posted in some other's memger gallery, I am very impressed with the quality of the picture taken and wants to be as good as everyone here.

But I don't know much about photography, so if i were to start from scratch, which field should i start from?

Any books or website for beginner to learn the basic?

Presently, i own a Sony P72, is it good enough for beginner?

I would really appreaciate if anyone can give me some pointers or even better, be my shi fu

Welcome to Clubsnap!! :)

Dun worry, just start shooting what you think is interesting to you, post it up and I'm sure many will help you along the way to improve on your shots.

Any image capturing device is fine too, no need to have sophesticated equipments or super astro telescopes to start photography.. in fact, few of them backtrack to the simpliest of al image capturing: pin hole cams.

Just enjoy yourself here. join us for SEED and speak to the old birds in the forums.. you will pick up a lot :)

Cheerz!

Ice said:
Hi I am new into this forum, I saw some other the picture posted here in the forum as well as those posted in some other's memger gallery, I am very impressed with the quality of the picture taken and wants to be as good as everyone here.

But I don't know much about photography, so if i were to start from scratch, which field should i start from?

I would really appreaciate if anyone can give me some pointers or even better, be my shi fu

Welcome to clubsnap :p

Like they always say... it is the man behind the camera....

Ok... ok .... to get yourself started, you can go to your nearest library to read up on photography related books. Learn the basic like composition, light, handling of camera. Or surf the net. Site like clubsnap is a good starting ground. Check out the gallery to be inspired, learn the technique they used.

If you have friends who are into this hobby, learn from them.

Of cos you need to go out and shoot... post here for ppl to critique :)

Sorry, abit messy here.. my sleepy eyes were half close while typing those sentence... :bsmilie:

kvp11 said:
SniperD is always the Best :thumbsup:person to answer this kind of question..:D

actually I got the same thing from the old birds in this forum when I joined.. so it's kinda Pass-It-On to help the new guys to the forum :bsmilie:

well.... except the fact that I got infected with the "BUY! BUY! BUY!" symptom within the week..... :devil:

ha, the buy buy buy thingy is scary sometimes. :p

i'm talking for myself that is. ha. ebay is like a heaven....provide i can resist the "Buy It Now" button. :p

btw, i'm very new to photography as well.

i often borrow books from the national library to catch up on some theory stuff. :)

drop by the library and you'll be amazed at the amount of info you can get/learn...well...it's a library ma. :p

do try out more film too...ermm, that's if you wanna learn on film SLRs? :)

ha, think i should start posting photos for others to give me the valuable critiques. :)
lazy to rescan my picz. :p i already have some at my lomohome but the resolution are too low...hrmm....when am i gonna move my butt? hrmm... :p

Ice said:

Any books or website for beginner to learn the basic?

I'm a newbie as well. It'll do you good if u can go down to Borders to browse through some of the photography magazines. I heard a few good recomendations about Practical Photography but i always fail to find it at Borders. Dunno why... :dunno:

Thanks for the advise, I will try to do some shot and hope everyone will give me some advise when i post the pciture up.

Jimtong, I like your quote "Photography is an expensive hobby.... But the memory captured are priceless."

Indeed memory capture are forever and that is one of the reason I want to tkae up photography. A photo can tell a thousand words

Ice said:
Jimtong, I like your quote "Photography is an expensive hobby.... But the memory captured are priceless."

Indeed memory capture are forever and that is one of the reason I want to tkae up photography. A photo can tell a thousand words

Thanks, keep shooting and learn together :thumbsup:

Ice said:

Photography will be as expensive as you want it to be. It can be relatively affordable if you're not engrossed in getting the latest and greatest and concentrate on image making. You don't have to buy expensive stuff to capture priceless moments.

Kit said:
Photography will be as expensive as you want it to be. It can be relatively affordable if you're not engrossed in getting the latest and greatest and concentrate on image making. You don't have to buy expensive stuff to capture priceless moments.

The process of image making could be rather costly too. Especially if you're using film.

I am a newbie to. I been to the National library to look for books but there are quite a number. Any specific recommendations for beginners? Something that is nice to read

Kit said:
If you're the trigger happy type, then of course its going to cost you.

Not true. Even if you're not a trigger happy type, but a serious hobbyist, it would also cost a lot too. I'm not trigger happy, and would still shoot about 3 rolls of film/slides every week. Guess how much would that cost in a year? :dunno:

Status
Not open for further replies.