What to note or look out for ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

highwaystar

Feb 15, 2006
Newbie (dat me;) ) gonna shoot some rock band concert. As u are aware the lighting will be a great challenge :embrass: Camera is D200 and flash is SB800. Lenses available: AF 80-200 f2.8D, AF 20-35 f2.8D and AF 24-120 f3.5-5.6. Will be shooting handheld:cry: Oh yes , just JPEG only.
Need advise from the experience shutter-bugs over here as follows:

1)Wat programme mode is ideal ?
2)Which lens to use ?
3)Which Optimize Image mode ?
4)Wat about the flash SB800 ?
5)Must I need DX lenses ?
6)Which ISO to chose ?

So , let me hear from all of ya...
Thank a million :)

apature priority is ideal, since u can set max apature for fastest shutter

80-200 is advised since only it will giv u enough reach. u can use the 20-35 though if ur in the front roll but i doubt u'll want to change lenses in the mist of a crowd

depending on the stage lighting, ttlbl or ttl will be fine. DO NOT set ur cam to slow sync. put on ur lens hood and direct flash

u dont hav any dx lenses avaliable -.- they only offer more convinence(not always true) and ultra-wide(12-24) otherwise they generally hav more severe vignetting and lightfalloff due to the smaller img circle

d200 is clean enough to shoot at iso800

try to use a monopod, its very helpful

wha... newbie already have so many lens :thumbsup:

Nikon lighting system I'm not familiar so your Nikon specific terminology you have to ask your "shi-xiong" already.

However, I do have a few points that maybe can bring to your attention. Using general lighting situtional experience, if your shutter speed is not fast enough, you will have multiple mixed coloured lightings on your subject which you may or may not want as a effect. If your aperature is too big and the flash lights from the stage is shooting away in random, you will kana your sensor.

I've shoot in a disco before, but using flim, on hi-sync flash, subject about 3-7m away, cannot be too far. If you are sitting/standing very far, you may want to use very high speed shutter and the biggest aperature you can. U also need to test your ISO settings up to 1600 is not more to see whether is it acceptable because sometimes you may just need that.

Use a monopod with a body that has a very large viewfinder if your subject is jumping away. Because sometimes your viewfinder too small and they jump jump here and there you lost them and your AI servo go haywire already.

highwaystar said:
Newbie (dat me;) ) gonna shoot some rock band concert. As u are aware the lighting will be a great challenge :embrass: Camera is D200 and flash is SB800. Lenses available: AF 80-200 f2.8D, AF 20-35 f2.8D and AF 24-120 f3.5-5.6. Will be shooting handheld:cry: Oh yes , just JPEG only.
Need advise from the experience shutter-bugs over here as follows:

1)Wat programme mode is ideal ?
2)Which lens to use ?
3)Which Optimize Image mode ?
4)Wat about the flash SB800 ?
5)Must I need DX lenses ?
6)Which ISO to chose ?

So , let me hear from all of ya...
Thank a million :)

Program use A priorty and set to lowest
Use the 80-200
Dont optimize level use normal
I doubt u will be allowed to use flash
No
ISO 400-800, or maybe can still use something as low as 200 if the light conditions are good

I would also suggest usinga monopod if you have one

hope this helps

Maltese said:
I've shoot in a disco before, but using flim, on hi-sync flash, subject about 3-7m away, cannot be too far.
in disco ur shutter is fast enough for hi-sync flash?:eek:

hi-spd sync in my d70s is >500th and >250th for most other cameras

wildstallion said:
Program use A priorty and set to lowest
Use the 80-200
Dont optimize level use normal
I doubt u will be allowed to use flash
No
ISO 400-800, or maybe can still use something as low as 200 if the light conditions are good

I would also suggest usinga monopod if you have one

hope this helps

Hey guy ,
thank for the advise

hope all go well ;)

Maltese said:
wha... newbie already have so many lens :thumbsup:

Nikon lighting system I'm not familiar so your Nikon specific terminology you have to ask your "shi-xiong" already.

However, I do have a few points that maybe can bring to your attention. Using general lighting situtional experience, if your shutter speed is not fast enough, you will have multiple mixed coloured lightings on your subject which you may or may not want as a effect. If your aperature is too big and the flash lights from the stage is shooting away in random, you will kana your sensor.

I've shoot in a disco before, but using flim, on hi-sync flash, subject about 3-7m away, cannot be too far. If you are sitting/standing very far, you may want to use very high speed shutter and the biggest aperature you can. U also need to test your ISO settings up to 1600 is not more to see whether is it acceptable because sometimes you may just need that.

Use a monopod with a body that has a very large viewfinder if your subject is jumping away. Because sometimes your viewfinder too small and they jump jump here and there you lost them and your AI servo go haywire already.

yo man ,

your tips are great. Am allow to move freely and can go in front too. Flash no problem.
Guess will use 20-35 and 80-200 since these are 'fast' lenses. Will borrow a D100 from friend so i dun have to change lense. Have a monopole but hope it will not be too troublesome since i will be using 2 DSLR.

cheer

roti_prata said:
apature priority is ideal, since u can set max apature for fastest shutter

80-200 is advised since only it will giv u enough reach. u can use the 20-35 though if ur in the front roll but i doubt u'll want to change lenses in the mist of a crowd

depending on the stage lighting, ttlbl or ttl will be fine. DO NOT set ur cam to slow sync. put on ur lens hood and direct flash

u dont hav any dx lenses avaliable -.- they only offer more convinence(not always true) and ultra-wide(12-24) otherwise they generally hav more severe vignetting and lightfalloff due to the smaller img circle

d200 is clean enough to shoot at iso800

try to use a monopod, its very helpful

hahaha .... I thought of getting a DX lens and since not much of differences.. no need then.

thank pal :)

Status
Not open for further replies.